2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

14 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Lindenwood’s football jump will be interesting to watch. I wonder what the odds are that they will be in D1 in football in 5 years? Is it a sure thing, or more like 10%? Also, it is easy to compare their previous success at lower levels and just assume they will find the same thing in D1.  That is short sighted. This is just a much more competitive level. So, we will see.

The university did a feasibility study before going D1 and will be reclassifying as one for 4 years.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Davis said:

The university did a feasibility study before going D1 and will be reclassifying as one for 4 years.

How many businesses do a feasibility study about opening a store in a certain location and a year later it is closed.  Their feasibility study means nothing. 

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

How many businesses do a feasibility study about opening a store in a certain location and a year later it is closed.  Their feasibility study means nothing. 

Generally those studies are just justifying a decision that has already been made. 

cheeseman likes this

2 hours ago, Adman said:

If I were the writer -- and had some intention of communicating how the expectations for both teams is very high this year -- I would have written something like:

"Both Dayton and Saint Louis are widely expected to battle for the A10 championship. And with the Flyers at #23 and the Billikens at #27 in ESPN's latest pre-season poll, both are expected to not only play in the NCAA Tournament, but be battling into the second weekend."

That creates some excitement, eliminates any second thoughts that they can't be any good because they're in the A10, speaks in fact, doesn't call the Billikens second banana, and sets reasonable expectations for the season. A good writer who deals in fact but also feels that at least part of his job is to support local teams would take an approach similar to the above.

This GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

14 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Let's not get a Mizzou like superiority complex.  Sickening.

Oh come on.  Win a few games as a D1 program before you start getting into this argument.  Diehard Mizzou idiots (in and out of the press) not giving us our due is not even in the same ballpark.....

BilliesBy40 likes this

On 10/2/2022 at 8:27 PM, DOC said:

So they lost about $30 million on the deal, but it was a success. Ok.

You know Doc, in business sometimes it is a win to take a loss, even a significant loss, rather than keep throwing money away into something they have decided is not the way they want to go. Financially, it was a loss, but it shows their management has a clear vision of where they want to go and how to get there. Their management also has the courage to take their loss now rather than keep on feeding something that does not fit their plans. Acknowledging you made a mistake and backing out of it early is good management.

Between Roy calling it a success and you saying it was a win it makes me question myself on what failure looks like in business. Just kidding. This was a failure of major proportions! And it failed because it was run poorly, and as a result they didn't have enough students to make it work. Oh, and they didn't back out early. They were there for 10 years and invested heavily in the campus and the surrounding area, some of it happened right before it closed. Say whatever you want about Lindenwood, but the Belleville campus was an epic failure.

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Between Roy calling it a success and you saying it was a win it makes me question myself on what failure looks like in business. Just kidding. This was a failure of major proportions! And it failed because it was run poorly, and as a result they didn't have enough students to make it work. Oh, and they didn't back out early. They were there for 10 years and invested heavily in the campus and the surrounding area, some of it happened right before it closed. Say whatever you want about Lindenwood, but the Belleville campus was an epic failure.

What occupies the Belleville campus today?

3 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

What occupies the Belleville campus today?

The city of Belleville bought it, and is leasing it out. From Fox : Among the groups that would be using the space include Southwestern Illinois College, the Illinois State Police (ISP), the Southern Illinois Law Enforcement Commission, and the Southwestern Illinois Jets’ Basketball Club.

5 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

The city of Belleville bought it, and is leasing it out. From Fox : Among the groups that would be using the space include Southwestern Illinois College, the Illinois State Police (ISP), the Southern Illinois Law Enforcement Commission, and the Southwestern Illinois Jets’ Basketball Club.

Thx.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:16 AM, JMM28 said:

A final four run would sell out Chaifetz for the entirety of the following season.

That is a 5 star lock of the decade. 

I'm not sure I agree with this as it depends on who is coming back. If we go to the Final 4 but most of the players move on, people will know as much as while attendance will increase it won't be a doubling of our season ticket base. If we go to the Final and Yuri, Gibson and Thatch come back we'd sell a lot of tickets...

That's the unfortunate reality of college basketball, all the real excitement happens at the end of the season, well after any home games are going to be played.

For the two weeks that the Bills are in the Sweet 16 and Final 4 this city would go bonkers for the Billikens. You can count on that. But two days after we lose in the semi-final would be opening day for the Cardinals and the casual fan would move on just as quickly.

Coach314 likes this

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

But two days after we lose in the semi-final would be opening day for the Cardinals and the casual fan would move on just as quickly.

Sure, we can't expect that casual fan to be dedicated to our level, but I bet they'd come back as much a casual fan in the fall if not more. 

Adman likes this

13 hours ago, kshoe said:

I'm not sure I agree with this as it depends on who is coming back. If we go to the Final 4 but most of the players move on, people will know as much as while attendance will increase it won't be a doubling of our season ticket base. If we go to the Final and Yuri, Gibson and Thatch come back we'd sell a lot of tickets...

That's the unfortunate reality of college basketball, all the real excitement happens at the end of the season, well after any home games are going to be played.

For the two weeks that the Bills are in the Sweet 16 and Final 4 this city would go bonkers for the Billikens. You can count on that. But two days after we lose in the semi-final would be opening day for the Cardinals and the casual fan would move on just as quickly.

I mean it isn't going to happen, but I'll debate it. St Louis is one of the top front-running towns in the country. I doubt the majority of folks in the building can rattle off the starting 5 from memory, let alone know who would be coming back the following year. A Final 4 run would also allow the opportunity to reload with hypothetically better talent. The team would still be picked top of conference, be a preseason top 25 team, etc.