2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It would be interesting to see how the general St Louis public would react to SLU making a Final 4. Not saying we will, just curious as to what the area’s reaction would be. 

Everyone would all of a sudden have a story about how they were always a SLU fan. Die hard Mizzou fans would go on and on about how it is Mizzou’s turn next year… .for the next decade.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I stated that I could die a happy man if i could get to experience a Cardinals World Series, a Rams’ Super Bowl, a Blues’ Stanley Cup and a SLU sweet sixteen. Never thinking the Rams would reach that goal.

I just need the Bills to do it.

This is the year, man. I can just feel it!

I am 75 years old.

mhg

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It would be interesting to see how the general St Louis public would react to SLU making a Final 4. Not saying we will, just curious as to what the area’s reaction would be. 

Barely a blip sadly.

Loy-Chi's coverage hasn't improved at all in Chicago, neither has their attendance.  Butler and VCU somewhat managed to turn their programs into national brands following their final four turns.  Loy-Chi not so much.  I think they recieved more coverage nationally than they did locally.

I believe SLU would be the similar.

47 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Barely a blip sadly.

Loy-Chi's coverage hasn't improved at all in Chicago, neither has their attendance.  Butler and VCU somewhat managed to turn their programs into national brands following their final four turns.  Loy-Chi not so much.  I think they recieved more coverage nationally than they did locally.

I think the Bills rank a bit higher on the St Louis sports scene than Loyola in Chicago.  I brought multiple first-timers to Billiken non-conference games last year.  But since we couldn't seal the deal against good teams, they are still on the fence about attending games with me this year.  A Final Four run would remove all doubt from their minds.

JMM28 likes this

55 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

Years ago I stated that I could die a happy man if i could get to experience a Cardinals World Series, a Rams’ Super Bowl, a Blues’ Stanley Cup and a SLU sweet sixteen. Never thinking the Rams would reach that goal.

I just need the Bills to do it.

This is the year, man. I can just feel it!

I am 75 years old.

mhg

You are about my age. If you are not a smoker, and have no significant disease, you should have around 12+ years of life expectancy. The Bills still have time to get there before you pass.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Barely a blip sadly.

I believe it would register a little more than Loy-Chi. Nowhere near the mania it would cause in say Dayton, but I could see it raising the interest needle somewhat. After all we are the only D1 school in the city. I realize Lindenwood has now joined us, but really? Lindenwood? 

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I believe it would register a little more than Loy-Chi. Nowhere near the mania it would cause in say Dayton, but I could see it raising the interest needle somewhat. After all we are the only D1 school in the city. I realize Lindenwood has now joined us, but really? Lindenwood? 

Don’t forget SIUE, they are about as far from the city of St Louis as Edwardsville is

If the team played an uptempo style and shot from beyond the arc like they are capable of, then I think the area would react much like they did when Spoonball was the talk of the city.  It would be especially sweet with SPUMAC continuing as door mats in the SEC

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

If the team played an uptempo style and shot from beyond the arc like they are capable of, then I think the area would react much like they did when Spoonball was the talk of the city.  It would be especially sweet with SPUMAC continuing as door mats in the SEC

I agree with this.

St. Louis sports fans will rally behind a local winner. Especially if that team is seen as a underdog nationally.

Just being in the top 25 gives the Bills a big attendance boost. 
A final 4 run would positively affect local attention for 2-4 years. If they kept winning that attention would remain. If they fell back to mediocracy that attention would fade. 

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Barely a blip sadly.

Loyola averaged 3,267 last season.  The season before their Final Four they averaged 1,861.  Percentage wise that is a significant increase.

Crewsorlose likes this

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Any school that has successfully grown in attendance the way Lindenwood has cannot be underestimated. Agree they will  be weak in their first couple of years but later on they may become a strong contender.

Davis likes this

33 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Any school that has successfully grown in attendance the way Lindenwood has cannot be underestimated. Agree they will  be weak in their first couple of years but later on they may become a strong contender.

They will have to wait 5 years before becoming eligible to play in the NCAA tourney so 2 years will not produce anything close to a strong contender.  Additionally they will play in the OVC - outside of Murray State making a bit of noise and they had to leave to continue no other OVC teams have been much.  

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

They will have to wait 5 years before becoming eligible to play in the NCAA tourney so 2 years will not produce anything close to a strong contender.  Additionally they will play in the OVC - outside of Murray State making a bit of noise and they had to leave to continue no other OVC teams have been much.  

So what? They have to start somewhere and this somewhere will be close to the bottom. Lindenwood will take care of it and will not be there for long. If the NCAA regs require they do not go to the dance for 5 years, then that is the way it will be, no problem there. All I am saying about Lindenwood is that when they set their minds to do something they do it well.

Davis likes this

13 hours ago, Old guy said:

So what? They have to start somewhere and this somewhere will be close to the bottom. Lindenwood will take care of it and will not be there for long. If the NCAA regs require they do not go to the dance for 5 years, then that is the way it will be, no problem there. All I am saying about Lindenwood is that when they set their minds to do something they do it well.

I am sorry you take this all so personal.  I simply tried to make a rationale response and you get all bent out of shape.  Chill out

18 hours ago, Old guy said:

So how do you explain Lindenwood Belleville, which was a complete failure? If they didn't set their minds to it they set about $30 million of their cash to it... and lost it all. They actualy couldn't have done anything worse.

BilliesBy40 likes this

13 minutes ago, DOC said:

So how do you explain Lindenwood Belleville, which was a complete failure? If they didn't set their minds to it they set about $30 million of their cash to it... and lost it all. They actualy couldn't have done anything worse.

Actually Lindenwood Belleville was successful, but Lindenwood decided they only could have one campus and chose their long standing facility to keep running.   

It was more about where they had the room for non classroom needs and since the original campus had it all already they felt to spend the money to add that needed space in Belleville was too big of an additional investment.

Old guy likes this

Lindenwood’s football jump will be interesting to watch. I wonder what the odds are that they will be in D1 in football in 5 years? Is it a sure thing, or more like 10%? Also, it is easy to compare their previous success at lower levels and just assume they will find the same thing in D1.  That is short sighted. This is just a much more competitive level. So, we will see.

cheeseman likes this

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

SLU's big whiffs in terms of gaining fans were the 2020 Dayton game and last year against Auburn. Those crowds were hopping. Games like that are super important for fan bases who feel their team can't get over the hump. 

If the Billikens can stay injury free they will finally get over the hump.

My feelings if this team cannot get over the hump what Ford team will?

Solid veterans and solid depth.

Let’s get the party started.

27 minutes ago, CBFan said:

If the Billikens can stay injury free they will finally get over the hump.

My feelings if this team cannot get over the hump what Ford team will?

Solid veterans and solid depth.

Let’s get the party started.

Agree, and it’s a well rounded roster with the pickup of Forrest and MoMo. 

If I were the writer -- and had some intention of communicating how the expectations for both teams is very high this year -- I would have written something like:

"Both Dayton and Saint Louis are widely expected to battle for the A10 championship. And with the Flyers at #23 and the Billikens at #27 in ESPN's latest pre-season poll, both are expected to not only play in the NCAA Tournament, but be battling into the second weekend."

That creates some excitement, eliminates any second thoughts that they can't be any good because they're in the A10, speaks in fact, doesn't call the Billikens second banana, and sets reasonable expectations for the season. A good writer who deals in fact but also feels that at least part of his job is to support local teams would take an approach similar to the above.