2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!!!

Does anyone else feel that way? Baseball, football, and basketball starting up all at the same time. I guess it is no comparison to summer time , but it is always pretty amazing nonetheless.

100%. A deep Cardinals playoff run to send off Albert and Yadi transitioning into the best Billiken season we’ve had in years would be *chefs kiss*. 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-mens-basketball-opens-practice-with-huge-roster-abundance-of-options/article_57c2bd2b-f608-51d7-8fcc-5a04fd96a035.html

Interesting article.  So how many in the rotation by A10 play?

"They know Yuri is going to play 35 minutes, Gibson's going to play and so is Javonte" (no big news here)......already shortening the rotation?

Coach is setting up his 8 +2.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-mens-basketball-opens-practice-with-huge-roster-abundance-of-options/article_57c2bd2b-f608-51d7-8fcc-5a04fd96a035.html

Interesting article.  So how many in the rotation by A10 play?

"They know Yuri is going to play 35 minutes, Gibson's going to play and so is Javonte" (no big news here)......already shortening the rotation?

Coach is setting up his 8 +2.

The F*** is this, Stu?! Zero tolerance for this. It's an objectively 50/50 race in the A10 and I'd argue we have the upper hand if there is one - experience, team chemistry, maturity...arguable #1 point guard in the nation. This is gross.   image.png.e34d3ab5337cdf0d44581c0879404d6a.png

23 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

The F*** is this, Stu?! Zero tolerance for this. It's an objectively 50/50 race in the A10 and I'd argue we have the upper hand if there is one - experience, team chemistry, maturity...arguable #1 point guard in the nation. This is gross.   image.png.e34d3ab5337cdf0d44581c0879404d6a.png

this was such a weird reaction

I've always had peeves with Stu. He sucked until Carter lit a fire under his @$$ and now he calls us Dayton's second fiddle? No thanks. 

How are we supposed to expect increased local support when the number one media man is downplaying what's posed to be maybe the best SLU season in like 7 decades? 

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I'm with ya. I long for the day we get a new beat writer. No offense to Stu or his family or anything. Wish the best for the man and I do appreciate his work but just would like someone different. Have just always got the vibe that he would rather be writing about something else. 

And ya the problem is probably with the post itself but whatever. Just my opinion 

majerus mojo likes this

Im bias, sure.  But I dont know how its all that close to 50/50

PG - SLU

SG - SLU

SF - SLU

PF - UD 

center - UD

bench - SLU 

thetorch likes this

8 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I'm with ya. I long for the day we get a new beat writer. No offense to Stu or his family or anything. Wish the best for the man and I do appreciate his work but just would like someone different. Have just always got the vibe that he would rather be writing about something else. 

And ya the problem is probably with the post itself but whatever. Just my opinion 

So do you want Stu to misrepresent what outsiders think?  Most outsiders do consider us a close second to Dayton.  Not sure why you want Stu to sugar coat anything. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So do you want Stu to misrepresent what outsiders think?  Most outsiders do consider us a close second to Dayton.  Not sure why you want Stu to sugar coat anything. 

There's ways to write around saying they are second obviously. I don't really care but it's definitely off-putting. I've felt this way for awhile. And from what I have seen we are the favorites. But maybe I haven't been looking in the right places. Really only heard from Rothstein. 

Mizzou sure gets sugar. Maybe we can get some every once in a while.

Soley going off 2023 Champ betting odds 

SLU: Anywhere from  +9900 to +13,000

Dayton: Anywhere from +8000 to +10,000

Without witnessing either team play a single game, I think its fair to say its 50/50 or around those numbers at this moment. Maybe 1 team gets a slight nod over the other after we see some games but nothing jaw dropping. 

56 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

i agree with hoosier.  that is what the world is thinking as well, so why be an over the top homer, build up false hopes?   id much rather play it conservative and then shock the world.   

besides is second place so bad?  

i've met Stu and had a number of good conversations with him over the years.   Imo he is an honest hard worker.   he enjoys college basketball and reports as he sees it.   (how nice would it be if the rest of our "news" was more reporting and less opinion.)

in our program history who was RECENTLY better?   im good with Stu

bauman and HoosierPal like this

3 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I've always had peeves with Stu. He sucked until Carter lit a fire under his @$$ and now he calls us Dayton's second fiddle? No thanks. 

How are we supposed to expect increased local support when the number one media man is downplaying what's posed to be maybe the best SLU season in like 7 decades? 

How are we supposed to expect increased local support? A good place to start would be by winning the A10 and finishing ahead of Dayton. Overdosing on preseason hoopla achieves nothing.

AGB91 and 3star_recruit like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I've seen every bit as many qualified people predicting an even split, 1a/1b, or SLU favored as #1 than I have the alternative. It wouldn't be misrepresenting. If you see otherwise I believe you're selectively choosing the wrong outsiders. 

29 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I've seen every bit as many qualified people predicting an even split, 1a/1b, or SLU favored as #1 than I have the alternative. It wouldn't be misrepresenting. If you see otherwise I believe you're selectively choosing the wrong outsiders. 

Are you having a bad day?

I don't read as much as you obviously do.  Lunardi, Palm, Sweeney from Sports Illustrated, Matt Norlander and Jeff Goodman all have Dayton rated above SLU today. It's preseason, and it's nothing to get upset about or discuss any further. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree with hoosier.  that is what the world is thinking as well, so why be an over the top homer, build up false hopes?   id much rather play it conservative and then shock the world.   

besides is second place so bad?  

i've met Stu and had a number of good conversations with him over the years.   Imo he is an honest hard worker.   he enjoys college basketball and reports as he sees it.   (how nice would it be if the rest of our "news" was more reporting and less opinion.)

in our program history who was RECENTLY better?   im good with Stu

I agree with this. Not recent but Dave Dorr, back in the 60-70’s was one of the best basketball writers in the country. 

almaman likes this

2 hours ago, Young Charles said:

Soley going off 2023 Champ betting odds 

SLU: Anywhere from  +9900 to +13,000

Dayton: Anywhere from +8000 to +10,000

Without witnessing either team play a single game, I think its fair to say its 50/50 or around those numbers at this moment. Maybe 1 team gets a slight nod over the other after we see some games but nothing jaw dropping. 

Stu’s comments don’t bother me, but the Billikens should be favored, for a simple reason, talent. When you have 3 starters who will likely be first team All conference and a fourth who should be 2nd or 3rd, a likely player of the year winner, lots of experience and quality depth, no reason they shouldn’t win. 

Young Charles likes this

Writers don't write headlines.  Or has that changed since my UNews days???

Reporters shoudl write the facts.  As noted Norlander, Goodman, Palm, Sweeney and Lunardi all versus Rothstein.  This would seem to support "moist corners."  

20 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

How are we supposed to expect increased local support? A good place to start would be by winning the A10 and finishing ahead of Dayton. Overdosing on preseason hoopla achieves nothing.

It would be interesting to see how the general St Louis public would react to SLU making a Final 4. Not saying we will, just curious as to what the area’s reaction would be.