Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/12/2022 at 2:45 PM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Haven't heard that but it makes sense. 

For the big holiday tourneys the sponsors like name teams which usually travel well. Right now we don’t meet those standards. I got this from a guy who worked with the Charleston Classic group. They always have a good field, as does the Myrtle Beach tourney.  Both tourneys normally have an A10 team because both venues are an easy trip for the Eastern A10 members. Dayton fans, of course, would travel en masse to Mars to see their beloved Flyers. 

On 9/12/2022 at 1:52 PM, cgeldmacher said:

Yes, but I think it is a little over a mile from the subway stop to Rose Hill.  Just be aware of that if you're going to the Fordham game.

Take the Metro-North train from Grand Central to the Fordham station, not the subway. The entrance to train station is right next to campus. The train costs a few dollars more than the subway but it's a quicker ride and fewer stops.

cgeldmacher likes this

17 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is an interesting tidbit from Rothstein.  Might we see Okoro go off against the Terps in the HOF?

Hopefully with Jimerson, Perk, Parker, and improved outside shooting from Yurimania and Fred zones won’t be a problem for us this season. 

49 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Hopefully with Jimerson, Perk, Parker, and improved outside shooting from Yurimania and Fred zones won’t be a problem for us this season. 

So you are saying that we won't be using our 'Yuri, dribble around for 25 seconds and then figure something out' offense?

billiken_roy likes this

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So you are saying that we won't be using our 'Yuri, dribble around for 25 seconds and then figure something out' offense?

Our offense bogged down at times last year, but nothing like some of you would like us to believe. You don’t average 76 points a game running clock. 

ACE and slufanskip like this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I hope we don't continually run a 1-5 pick n roll against zones.  It was frustrating to watch that last season.

Long article, but interesting.  Some good in-depth analysis of each A10 team.

I found this interesting and an area to look for some improvement:  SLU took 42% of their shots at the rim last season, a larger attempt rate than they had from the mid-range or from three-point range. The Billikens only scored a rather average 1.18 points per possession from those shots at the rim.

Okoro did record an impressive number of blocks, but teams were able to score 1.22 points per possession on shots at the rim against the Billikens, higher than the average in the A10.

https://a10stats.wordpress.com/2022/09/26/previewing-the-atlantic-10-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-know/

54 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I found this interesting and an area to look for some improvement:  SLU took 42% of their shots at the rim last season, a larger attempt rate than they had from the mid-range or from three-point range. The Billikens only scored a rather average 1.18 points per possession from those shots at the rim.

Okoro did record an impressive number of blocks, but teams were able to score 1.22 points per possession on shots at the rim against the Billikens, higher than the average in the A10.

https://a10stats.wordpress.com/2022/09/26/previewing-the-atlantic-10-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-know/

Whomever wrote this did so with complete disregard for Martin Linssen. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm not sure where to find splits on FG% just at the rim, but here is how Okoro's overall FG % breaks down from last season (decent proxy since most of his shots are at the rim):

Games 1 - 10: 46.8% (this drops to 36.8% of you take out his 7/8 performance vs Harris Stowe)

Games 11 - 35: 61.6%

Francis was pretty clearly shaking off rust early & missing a bunch of bunnies at the rim.  I'm expecting that a full season of him making more at the rim will improve our efficiency there. 

Perkins ability as a 3 level scorer will also boost our efficiency at the rim.  He shot almost 70% at the rim himself & his mid-range / outside scoring ability should open things up more for others.

billikenbill likes this

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

A high percentage of those rim attempts were Yuri and Nesbitt.  Yuri finishes well for a little guy but he's still a little guy.  Nesbitt jumped right into the defender and created a lot of difficult chances at the rim.  Perkins clearly upgrades our situation.

SLU_Lax likes this

9 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm not sure where to find splits on FG% just at the rim, but here is how Okoro's overall FG % breaks down from last season (decent proxy since most of his shots are at the rim):

Games 1 - 10: 46.8% (this drops to 36.8% of you take out his 7/8 performance vs Harris Stowe)

Games 11 - 35: 61.6%

Francis was pretty clearly shaking off rust early & missing a bunch of bunnies at the rim.  I'm expecting that a full season of him making more at the rim will improve our efficiency there. 

Perkins ability as a 3 level scorer will also boost our efficiency at the rim.  He shot almost 70% at the rim himself & his mid-range / outside scoring ability should open things up more for others.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/francis-okoro-feels-energized-more-confident-as-slu-mens-basketball-starts-practice/article_5ffe91aa-827e-54b9-92f0-774a2239abb7.html?utm_source=stltoday.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Flocal%2Fstltoday-sports&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=2674e249850a9859fb7310d9f10a98aa29115912&recip_id=5302959

This article from Stu definitely supports your points on Okoro