2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I was, in general, referring to games that could be used for a road trip. As Billiken Booster pointed out, we have nine conference road games.  Only 2 of the 9 are on Saturdays.  One of those two is on New Years Eve.  Most people don't want to be out of town on NYE.  The others are 3 Tuesday games, 2 Wednesday games, and 2 Friday games.

As far as non-conference schedule, we have 3 times where we are away from Chaifetz.  They are Auburn (9 1/2 hour drive from STL) on a Sunday, Iona on a Tuesday, and the Mohegan Sun Tournament on the Saturday and Sunday before Thanksgiving.  The weekend before Thanksgiving in tough since many people travel for Thanksgiving already.  Also, the Mohegan Sun arena is an hour from Providence and 45 minutes from Hartford.  Not exactly easy to get to.

So, the only Saturday game on the entire schedule that might be reasonable to travel to is the January 14, GW game.

I will concede that we have 7 home games on Saturdays.  Seems to me that we are making it much easier on our opponents fans to travel to Chaifetz than they are making it on us to travel to their arenas.

-just a guess, all the schools send dates their gyms are available, the A10 does the schedule according to availability, I wonder what input the schools have, other than availability, on the schedule? Frank, please ask this of CFord 

-how much different is travel to a Friday night game versus a Saturday noon ET game?

-someone, the league or ESPN, said we want SLU on the Friday Night Showcase so it appears that's where 2 Saturday's got shifted to Friday, because we are thought to be good

-fly nonstop to Logan and make the drive and it will be less time to Mohegan Sun than connecting to Prov or Hartford

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, Posters should list what part of the country they reside in. 
I’ll start- Southeast, I can easily make Davidson games (4hours). I will make Auburn game since I’ll be in ATL for Tksgiving (2 hours). VA games are 8 hours. Not making that haul. Too far. 

You don’t have to name yourself but I would think anyone who resides in New England, save for Maine, could easily make UMass and URI games possibly Fordham. 4-6 hours tops. 

If u live in VA you could make GW, GMU, Richmond, and VCU games. Again 4-6 hours tops. 

If you live in PA u got STJoes, LaSalle, Duq, and GW. Although if its western PA all you got is Duquesne. Takes forever to go W to E in PA. 

Live in NYC, you got Fordham, URI, and Philly teams, all within 3-4 hours from the Apple. 

I do agree it may be tough to make these trips for a weekday game, but there’s always a vacation day, or cough… cough hey boss I think I got the flu, Covid, or pneumonia. Guarantee boss will say don’t come in until your cured. 

On 9/8/2022 at 5:19 PM, slu72 said:

You don’t have to name yourself but I would think anyone who resides in New England, save for Maine, could easily make UMass and URI games possibly Fordham. 4-6 hours tops.

It is 5 hours from Boston to UMass Amherst assuming no road construction or snow in the ground, a lot more from RI and Eastern NH. As far as getting to Fordham, the NYC area is a massive traffic plug (Atlanta is worse), so it is not only driving to  NY that is involved, it is getting to Fordham once you are in NY.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

It is 5 hours from Boston to UMass Amherst assuming no road construction or snow in the ground, a lot more from RI and Eastern NH. As far as getting to Fordham, the NYC area is a massive traffic plug (Atlanta is worse), so it is not only driving to  NY that is involved, it is getting to Fordham once you are in NY.

It doesn’t take 5 hours to drive from Boston all across MA and over to Albany, NY on I-90 unless there are blizzard conditions.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

just take the train to Fordham from Manhattan. 

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

just take the train to Fordham from Manhattan. 

Agreed. From the city you can take the subway (B,D) or Metro North (New Haven or Harlem Line). But if you're going to Fordham from New England you barely go into the city (only the north/central Bronx) and would avoid a lot of NYC traffic.

On 9/8/2022 at 6:19 PM, slu72 said:

Just out of curiosity, Posters should list what part of the country they reside in. 

I'm on New Hampshire. Made it to URI last year on a weeknight, but won't be able to make it to UMass this year (again on Wednesday). It's an hour 45 to UMass for me, 2 hours to URI. 

I would be 4 hours to Fordham. Probably better to take the train in than deal with driving

Hopefully getting to Mohegan Sun this year, that's about a 2 hour drive

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

It's 2 hours from Boston to UMass and and 1.5 hours to URI from Boston Logan Airport.

On 9/8/2022 at 4:22 PM, Cowboy II said:

-just a guess, all the schools send dates their gyms are available, the A10 does the schedule according to availability, I wonder what input the schools have, other than availability, on the schedule? Frank, please ask this of CFord 

-how much different is travel to a Friday night game versus a Saturday noon ET game?

-someone, the league or ESPN, said we want SLU on the Friday Night Showcase so it appears that's where 2 Saturday's got shifted to Friday, because we are thought to be good

-fly nonstop to Logan and make the drive and it will be less time to Mohegan Sun than connecting to Prov or Hartford

I have a large group that I draw from of SLU grads that travel to a game every year.  Friday night games are much harder to get guys to.  My group often has guys who fly in or drive in on Friday night.  Same is true for Sunday games.  Many of my guys leave early Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, Deutschkind said:

I'm on New Hampshire. Made it to URI last year on a weeknight, but won't be able to make it to UMass this year (again on Wednesday). It's an hour 45 to UMass for me, 2 hours to URI. 

I would be 4 hours to Fordham. Probably better to take the train in than deal with driving

Hopefully getting to Mohegan Sun this year, that's about a 2 hour drive

It's 2 hours from Boston to UMass and and 1.5 hours to URI from Boston Logan Airport.

I think Old Guy was traveling by stagecoach. The longest drive anywhere within MA from anywhere is probably no more than 3 hours except to the Cape. It ain’t that big. Traffic, however, is always a *****, and the drivers are nut jobs. 

Wasn’t sure where to put this but will move it if there’s a more appropriate thread floating around out there. What do we need to do to become that 8th team!? 

Old guy - how long of a drive would this be if leaving from San Francisco?

39 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Yes, but I think it is a little over a mile from the subway stop to Rose Hill.  Just be aware of that if you're going to the Fordham game.

It is, if not a little more.  Uber/taxi for the last leg. 

cgeldmacher likes this

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Wasn’t sure where to put this but will move it if there’s a more appropriate thread floating around out there. What do we need to do to become that 8th team!? 

Didn't someone on here mention teams either have to be consistently T25 or have a very good traveling fanbase to be chosen?

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Old guy - how long of a drive would this be if leaving from San Francisco?

Unfortunately we can’t sneak into this field, as single bracket MTE’s won’t schedule multiple teams from the same conference. Would guess it is filled by a team from the SEC. 

52 minutes ago, wgstl said:

It is, if not a little more.  Uber/taxi for the last leg. 

Walking and then uber/cab are definitely the easiest ways to get to Fordham from the train. It will probably be too cold but depending on weather that night I'd also look into a citi bike. They are a lot of fun (especially if you snag an e bike). Could be a fun ride back to the train after a SLU victory and several adult beverages.

Haven't looked but there may be kiosks close to the subway stop and campus (they are everywhere in Manhattan).  Last August Mrs. Slu let the dogs out and myself had brunch and too many mimosas in the meatpacking district then took electric bikes all the way up to Grant's Tomb by Columbia along the Hudson river. Great time!

cgeldmacher likes this

1 minute ago, Compton said:

It's under 1/2 mile to campus and under 1 mile to Rose Hill gym. Because of the limited car access to campus it'd take about as long to take a taxi as walking.

Good call.  On second thought, the reason I thought it was further is because our uber driver told us to try this pizza place and ended up taking us there before the game instead of rose gym.  Ended up being the worst pizza I have ever had.  I think the driver was frouking with us.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Isn't the eighth team in Maui Chaminade?  Or is that a different tournament?

Comments under Rothstein‘s Twit say that Chaminade is now in it every other year but not sure if that is true. Guess it makes sense is they’re truly looking for an 8th team. Or Jon has his years mixed up and Chaminerd is in the 2024 Maui invitational. 

23 hours ago, Old guy said:

Yes, I am wrong, my  bad. I used to drive to Springfield after finishing work at Harvard on Fridays to work there. This was back in 1974, the drive appeared to me to be very long, and Springfield is south of Amherst. Last time I went to Amherst was in 2000, again it seemed like a very long drive but I may be confusing it with driving to Tanglewood to attend the Summer BSO program. Anyway, my bad, I should have checked google before posting.

CenHudDude likes this

23 hours ago, Compton said:

It's under 1/2 mile to campus and under 1 mile to Rose Hill gym. Because of the limited car access to campus it'd take about as long to take a taxi as walking.

When we went, the gates allowing entry to the campus that would make it a 1/2 mile walk were closed and locked.  We had to walk to the main entrance which was a little over a half mile away, and then walk about another 1/2 mile through campus to get to Rose Hill.