2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness to Yuri, he went thru the NBA evaluation thing & did it during this new NIL era & did it in an era of open college free agency - all of these things were things that players just a few years ago did not have to navigate.  Also, keep in mind that there are a variety of hucksters and opportunists who get in the ear of these young players. Often the "advice" they are hearing is not well-informed or in the best interest of the player.

I have no hard feelings at all toward Yuri. We should all be thankful and appreciative that he stayed and fought back some forces pulling him in a different direction.

Also, on the positive, this situation may have prompted SLU and its boosters to become more pro-active and better equipped to deal with the NIL era... if that's the result, then this incident (and near disaster) actually turned into a positive.

I'm weighing on the side that he was intrigued about the possibility of making a ton of money, and wanted to check that out.  In order to check that out further, he would have had to enter the portal. Either didn't care for what he saw, or SLU was able to offer something that he liked. We'll never know but winning will be the fastest remedy. 

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

In fairness to Yuri, he went thru the NBA evaluation thing & did it during this new NIL era & did it in an era of open college free agency - all of these things were things that players just a few years ago did not have to navigate.  Also, keep in mind that there are a variety of hucksters and opportunists who get in the ear of these young players. Often the "advice" they are hearing is not well-informed or in the best interest of the player.

I have no hard feelings at all toward Yuri. We should all be thankful and appreciative that he stayed and fought back some forces pulling him in a different direction.

Also, on the positive, this situation may have prompted SLU and its boosters to become more pro-active and better equipped to deal with the NIL era... if that's the result, then this incident (and near disaster) actually turned into a positive.

The positive side of your post is spot on.  As soon as Yuri announced SLU responded quickly to give the players additional resources to set themselves up money making deals.  At the time I thought wow this was the first time SLU responded to an issue so quick.

My personal feeling is that Yuri, if he has another great season, will get a great NIL deal from a top school that he dreams of playing for and get a chance of being the point guard for a National champion team.

My belief is that the only reason he is not playing for Tennessee is because of tampering.

majerus mojo likes this

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Defended Fred a lot and held his own.  He's the only guard we have strong enough to even have a chance.

11 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

He's built like a tank for only being 18. Certainly the most physically ready of the freshman. Will he crack the rotation? Probably not but I hope I'm wrong. 

Is Thames not there yet for a frosh?  He seemed liked it in a few pics Ive seen.

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thames and Kramer are both good defenders.  I was talking specifically about matching up with the top bully baller on the team.

gotcha.

10 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I hate to be that guy but is anyone else still feeling a little salty about the Yuri Collins saga?  I know he came back but when I see him I just don't feel warm and fuzzy inside anymore........It seems more like hiring a disinterested one year free agent in baseball.  I know I have to get over it if I'm ever going to enjoy NCAA basketball again but it sticks in my craw none the less.....

Nah.  Time to move on.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

Okay, not seeing much intel on the scrimmage. I thought there was plenty to see, but I'll try not to be repetitive

• Kramer's legs are huge. Almost like Thatch.
  • Ford stopped drills a couple of times because Cisse and Parker didn't understand. I'd view Cisse as similar to Traore (which I think is a good comp, as I thought Traore would have been a starter by his jr. year). It was only a scrimmage, but Parker looked lost out there for part of it
  • Yuri and TJ have insane chemistry. 
  • Pickett is the prototypical "face up 4" in the A-10. Big shouldered, not esp. tall. I think we'll like him 
  • Perkins seems very hesitant physically. I think we'll need to be patient as it may take some time for the guy who'd be running point in 1-4 sets to close out games and finishing over guys in traffic.
  • Beyond the locks of Okoro and Yuri, I wouldn't pen anyone into the starting lineup, including Perkins. The two JPs, Hargrove, Thatch, Jimerson as all legit options to start. Those 7 + Forester form a clear top 8. I imagine Thames has the longest leash for getting rotation minutes due to ball handling. 
  • Was more impressed with Hughes than I expected. Looked like he belonged. Would love to be wrong about Parker. 

2 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Okay, not seeing much intel on the scrimmage. I thought there was plenty to see, but I'll try not to be repetitive

• Ford stopped drills a couple of times because Cisse and Parker didn't understand. I'd view Cisse as similar to Traore (which I think is a good comp, as I thought Traore would have been a starter by his jr. year). It was only a scrimmage, but Parker looked lost out there for part of it
  • Pickett is the prototypical "face up 4" in the A-10. Big shouldered, not esp. tall. I think we'll like him 
  • Perkins seems very hesitant physically. I think we'll need to be patient as it may take some time for the guy who'd be running point in 1-4 sets to close out games and finishing over guys in traffic.
  • Beyond the locks of Okoro and Yuri, I wouldn't pen anyone into the starting lineup, including Perkins. The two JPs, Hargrove, Thatch, Jimerson as all legit options to start. Those 7 + Forester form a clear top 8. I imagine Thames has the longest leash for getting rotation minutes due to ball handling. 
  • Was more impressed with Hughes than I expected. Looked like he belonged. Would love to be wrong about Parker. 

i thought parker was very good in shoot around before drills started.  then i agree in the drills and 3 on 3 and 4 on 4's he disappeared.   i think he will be fine.   he is obviously quite an athlete.  a lot of jucos just roll the balls out to some degree and dont really play high level intellectual basketball.   so i will give him time to learn.  

i too was impressed with hughes.   i thought in shootaround, his release seemed slow.   but in the drills he seemed to have no issue getting shots off and he is a maker.   i think he is in discussions on PT at this point imo.  

-saving most of my stuff until after Friday

-I thought it was a practice with drills, not a scrimmage

-one thing that continues to confuse me is why we don't practice like we should play, that is allowing traveling and not inbounding properly stood out yesterday

25 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

There's plenty to see in every practice.  But trying to make offensive projections based on drills seems to me a waste of time.  If that meant anything, Andre Lorentsson would have started.

CBFan likes this

12 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

I hate to be that guy but is anyone else still feeling a little salty about the Yuri Collins saga?  I know he came back but when I see him I just don't feel warm and fuzzy inside anymore........It seems more like hiring a disinterested one year free agent in baseball.  I know I have to get over it if I'm ever going to enjoy NCAA basketball again but it sticks in my craw none the less.....

No - it's like going the extra mile to keep a superstar that has helped lead your team for the last three years. 

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Is Thames not there yet for a frosh?  He seemed liked it in a few pics Ive seen.

He is, but Kramer specifically is built like a brick sh!t house. I'm much more confident after yesterday that Thames could be the backup PG we need but I'm interested in seeing him scrimmage against Yuri on Friday. 

Side-effect/unmentioned benefit - Having Yuri practice against 6'6-7" Thames every day is a great way for him to sharpen that weak point of his game.  

Include me in the "overly impressed by Hughes" camp. Seems very offensively talented but I'm not certain he has enough of everything else to be offensively talented enough to crack the rotation. He did in one drill try a 360 layup that Ford then called him out for, but I suspect that's just an 18-year old kid thing to do. 

I think any criticism of Parker is premature and maybe unwarranted. He looked fine to me, and in front of a crowd of more people than he'd draw in any of last season's games. The way the coaching staff speaks of him I think we should trust they're not full of sh!t. 

Pickett is a body. He'll see time at the 4 nearly every game and will be good at it, too. That option means we should see a lot of four out with slashers and Okoro dominating the paint.  

I was very impressed with Momo. He's been with the team less so far than anybody so I'm giving the BOD for some things I saw but what I know is 1) he's long. Tall and long. Looks like an 8' wingspan. 2) He can stretch the floor better than any other big we have and have had in a while. 3) He has the potential to be an absolute terror on the A10.  

majerus mojo likes this

Beyond what has already been written. Nick Kramer’s shot is beautiful. Not saying it’s better or ever will be better, but just from a technical standpoint it’s prettier than GJim. Perfect arch and rotation and hands finish textbook. He was nailing them in the warm ups but struggled making them during the scrimmages 

43 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Beyond what has already been written. Nick Kramer’s shot is beautiful. Not saying it’s better or ever will be better, but just from a technical standpoint it’s prettier than GJim. Perfect arch and rotation and hands finish textbook. He was nailing them in the warm ups but struggled making them during the scrimmages 

I believe you meant: “Hands [a] Finnish textbook.”