2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Ronnell Johnson is going to Fayetteville State University. He was the only other double digit scorer for Pattonville. DII. 

Thames can be part of the committee. 

Then pardon if I got it wrong, thought I saw something this week On Twitter about a player committing to CMU or EMU can’t remember which 

edit : CMU is central Methodist… makes it more impressive for thames. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, wgstl said:

Why does it always seem like people think if yuri(any player not just yuri) goes down, its for a long period of time. Its more likely that if Yuri(or any player) gets injured its for a short amount of games more so than a long stint.  Everyone keeps saying if yuri gets injured the season is over anyway, what if its middle of the season and he misses 2 games? These are the situations I like to think of when asking do we have someone who can come in and play point that gives us a chance of winning. 

One thing that stands out is the argument about the Northern Iowa game last year.  While I see that point, and it showed that Jones - who many think we cant replace this late - isn't capable of manning the point for an entire game, I do think the difference is that team checked out pregame.  

Trying to predict the severity of future injuries is folly.  For every short duration injury a Billiken has had you find just as many that have been long term and season ending.  The problem may not be the actual injury but when it occurs.  You lose Yuri for a 3 game stretch and it is against our top OC schedule then we lose a chance to build a resume.  Same could be said for in conference games against the teams we have to beat.  Being one twisted ankle or broken finger away from the season being perhaps lost is always going to be concerning for any fan.

Old guy likes this

32 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Trying to predict the severity of future injuries is folly.  For every short duration injury a Billiken has had you find just as many that have been long term and season ending.  The problem may not be the actual injury but when it occurs.  You lose Yuri for a 3 game stretch and it is against our top OC schedule then we lose a chance to build a resume.  Same could be said for in conference games against the teams we have to beat.  Being one twisted ankle or broken finger away from the season being perhaps lost is always going to be concerning for any fan.

Let's just hypothesize that one of these situations happens when Yuri is out of play for several games. If this happens the season will depend entirely upon Ford's ability to use the talent in the bench to maintain the momentum forward. This will require abandoning the 7-8 man rotation and bringing the bench in, at least temporarily. Can Ford do such a thing successfully? I really do not know if he can.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Maybe, maybe not. As you said, folly. I’m just addressing the fact everyone keeps talking about any injury being a season ending injury.  Also, it’s hard to tell now,  but say we just dominate OOC, we can lose some games in conference and still be ok. 

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Maybe, maybe not. As you said, folly. I’m just addressing the fact everyone keeps talking about any injury being a season ending injury.  Also, it’s hard to tell now,  but say we just dominate OOC, we can lose some games in conference and still be ok. 

Almost no one is talking about a season-ending injury.  Even the post you quoted is talking about a 3 game stretch.

There's nothing unique about our situation.  Dayton has the same issue.  UAB has the same issue.  Nobody at our level can afford to be without their starting point guard for more than a couple of games against decent competition.

CBFan likes this

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Almost no one is talking about a season-ending injury. 

Yes, not this thread but in the dicussion about backup PG from a few weeks ago. 

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There's nothing unique about our situation.  Dayton has the same issue.  UAB has the same issue.  Nobody at our level can afford to be without their starting point guard for more than a couple of games against decent competition.

True but didnt UD beat a kenpom T-100 by 20 without Smith, and lost to #64 Vandy in OT without him too?  Its do-able just harder. 

This mythical back up pg just doesn't exist or isn't coming to SLU. 

If he would be satisfied with just being the back up pg and that's it, he isn't going to make a difference when Yuri is out anyway. Sorry, he just won't be good enough. 

Otherwise he needs to be good enough to take wing/guard minutes from Perk, GJim, Pick, Thatch, Parker, Hargrove, etc ... Players that good have other situations available to them that offer them more assurances for playing time. 

CBFan and rgbilliken like this

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

This mythical back up pg just doesn't exist or isn't coming to SLU. 

If he would be satisfied with just being the back up pg and that's it, he isn't going to make a difference when Yuri is out anyway. Sorry, he just won't be good enough. 

Otherwise he needs to be good enough to take wing/guard minutes from Perk, GJim, Pick, Thatch, Parker, Hargrove, etc ... Players that good have other situations available to them that offer them more assurances for playing time. 

This makes sense. Would figure the top PG’s who were in the portal went to where they’d start and not be a 5-10 min backup. I’d bet Grant looked high and low for a backup to Smith ran into the same problem. We kind of lucked out last year getting Jones. He was serviceable for what we needed. But in the UNI game he was no Yurimania. As for me, I’m curious to see if Parker might be the answer. 

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

17 home dates, 12 non-conference games scheduled. So probably 1 exhibition and 1 regular season game left to announce.

Its not very accurate to go off of, but this OOC based on last years kenpom ranking comes out to an average of #117.  pretty impressive. 

14 hours ago, Old guy said:

Remember Welmer? Bad luck appears to rain upon some people.

I once had to convince someone Welmer played a season because they genuinely couldn't remember seeing him play.