Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/8/2022 at 5:21 PM, wgstl said:

Slu to host siu-e dec 21st. 

could end up being yet another ncaa tourney team we face 

So I think the known schedule now looks like:

11/7 vs. Murray State
11/19 vs. Maryland (Mohegan Sun)
11/20 vs. Miami/Providence (Mohegan Sun)
11/27 at Auburn
12/6 at Iona
12/17 vs. Drake
12/21 vs. SIUE

Home dates TBA vs. Memphis, Boise State, Evansville plus probably 2 exhibitions and 1 more buy game. Then the A10 games vs. Dayton, Davidson, VCU, Loyola, La Salle, St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, George Mason, Rhode Island.

Road date TBA at SIUC plus A10 games at Dayton, Davidson, VCU, Loyola, Richmond, Fordham, UMass, GW, St. Joe's.

And one more game that could be home, road, or neutral.

Compton likes this

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So I think the known schedule now looks like:

11/7 vs. Murray State
11/19 vs. Maryland (Mohegan Sun)
11/20 vs. Miami/Providence (Mohegan Sun)
11/27 at Auburn
12/6 at Iona
12/17 vs. Drake
12/21 vs. SIUE

Home dates TBA vs. Memphis, Boise State, Evansville plus probably 2 exhibitions and 1 more buy game. Then the A10 games vs. Dayton, Davidson, VCU, Loyola, La Salle, St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, George Mason, Rhode Island.

Road date TBA at SIUC plus A10 games at Dayton, Davidson, VCU, Loyola, Richmond, Fordham, UMass, GW, St. Joe's.

And one more game that could be home, road, or neutral.

-let's get it on!

I find it interesting that this source considers our "backcourt" to be Collins and Jimerson.  After Collins, insert Perkins, Pickett, Jimerson, Thatch, Parker, or just about any of our wings.  

My two cents:  we will start one forward/center and four guards.  Okay, make that one forward/center, one guard and three wings.  In today's game, it is the same thing.

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I find it interesting that this source considers our "backcourt" to be Collins and Jimerson.  After Collins, insert Perkins, Pickett, Jimerson, Thatch, Parker, or just about any of our wings.  

My two cents:  we will start one forward/center and four guards.  Okay, make that one forward/center, one guard and three wings.  In today's game, it is the same thing.

I saw that and my first thought was f*ck Kyle Lofton. Even with Gibby our backcourt is better than Florida's. If you insert Perkins next to Yuri our backcourt is top 10 if not higher. 

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Well they limit themselves by sticking to the traditional 1 and 2 for a backcourt.  That wasn't even really what an offensive backcourt was even 30-40 years ago.  If you are going to that, I understand why they picked the two they did. It should be, at a minimum the point/combo and two wings.  Even that now isn't perfect with so most teams now playing a ton of four out. To make the best judgement, it should include everyone that would be getting minutes at those positions.  

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Well they limit themselves by sticking to the traditional 1 and 2 for a backcourt.  That wasn't even really what an offensive backcourt was even 30-40 years ago.  If you are going to that, I understand why they picked the two they did. It should be, at a minimum the point/combo and two wings.  Even that now isn't perfect with so most teams now playing a ton of four out. To make the best judgement, it should include everyone that would be getting minutes at those positions.  

Totally agree. I kind of like that they included Gibby though because the real ones know what our being ranked that high means when we have an All-American wing lurking. 

brianstl likes this

I bet the makers of this list know very little about SLU or Jimerson.  They saw that Yuri lead the nation in assists last year and figured we had to be included on the list.  Then they looked up the stats and saw that Gibson was our leading scorer.

A assumption about not having a backup point guard because no one on the bench has that title.

I will wait and see when the team plays if there is not a suitable backup.

The best way to find immediate playing time the new players have is to work hard in practice to win the backup Yuri position.  I am hoping for Thames or Hughes to step up and claim the backup up role.

If this team loses Yuri to injury getting to the big dance will be in jeopardy.

slufanskip likes this

56 minutes ago, CBFan said:

A assumption about not having a backup point guard because no one on the bench has that title.

The best way to find immediate playing time the new players have is to work hard in practice to win the backup Yuri position.  I am hoping for Thames or Hughes to step up and claim the backup up role.

Waiting to see who the back up is will be too late if they do not develop one.  Of course you can think you have one and they could not be good either.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

If we had someone the caliber of Jones last year, the season still takes a huge hit if Yuri goes down. Who was coming here to play back up that could have kept our season on track if Yuri gets hurt? A combo guard? And where were they going to get the rest of their minutes? Over Pickett, GJim, Perk, Thatch? I don’t think so. 

slufan13 and CBFan like this

57 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Waiting to see who the back up is will be too late if they do not develop one.  Of course you can think you have one and they could not be good either.

I agree and I think it’s too late now to find a player available that would be better than Hughes or Thames but I could be wrong.  I am not a good evaluator of players so I am probably wrong.

Happy Friday 

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

If we had someone the caliber of Jones last year, the season still takes a huge hit if Yuri goes down. Who was coming here to play back up that could have kept our season on track if Yuri gets hurt? A combo guard? And where were they going to get the rest of their minutes? Over Pickett, GJim, Perk, Thatch? I don’t think so. 

Why does it always seem like people think if yuri(any player not just yuri) goes down, its for a long period of time. Its more likely that if Yuri(or any player) gets injured its for a short amount of games more so than a long stint.  Everyone keeps saying if yuri gets injured the season is over anyway, what if its middle of the season and he misses 2 games? These are the situations I like to think of when asking do we have someone who can come in and play point that gives us a chance of winning. 

One thing that stands out is the argument about the Northern Iowa game last year.  While I see that point, and it showed that Jones - who many think we cant replace this late - isn't capable of manning the point for an entire game, I do think the difference is that team checked out pregame.  

brianstl and Bills By 40 like this

Just now, AnkielBreakers said:

Thatch must just feel like chopped liver with the way this board chirps about backup PG.

but why, that's not really his position? 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Why does it always seem like people think if yuri(any player not just yuri) goes down, its for a long period of time. Its more likely that if Yuri(or any player) gets injured its for a short amount of games more so than a long stint.  Everyone keeps saying if yuri gets injured the season is over anyway, what if its middle of the season and he misses 2 games? These are the situations I like to think of when asking do we have someone who can come in and play point that gives us a chance of winning. 

I agree with this but even missing Yuri for one game in the NIT resulted in a loss. UNI was a good team and adding an offensive weapon like Perkins will help this season even if Yuri missed time but unless we are playing the bottom dwellers (and probably at home), I feel like we will struggle even if Yuri missed say 2-3 games. I hope we can build up enough wiggle room that a few losses wouldn't tank us but as 3star said, the margin for error is low

cheeseman likes this