2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Sounded to me that Coach is quite happy with Kellen Thames and LHJ as potential PG subs for when Yuri is in need of a rest or in foul trouble.  Hearing that makes me think the need for a backup PG is not as crucial as some of us believe.

I've always WANTED to believe that KT is ready for the job, but hearing coach say that doesn't really convince me until I see it for myself. That could very well be peak offseason coach-say

But the idea of a homegrown 6'7" (or taller) PG that learns the ropes from YURI F'ING COLLINS? If that don't get you excited get off the board. 

HenryB likes this

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Good interview with Coach Ford. Several highlights 

NBA Scouts/GM’s told Coach that Yuri does have a shot at the NBA. He has to improve his shot. Doesn’t need to be elite, but needs to be able to score in the League. The rest of his game is solid. 

Perkins is a week or two away from being cleared for contact. Pickett will play multiple positions. Sees him as a combo 3 and 4. 

Highlighted all the newcomers. Of course is isn’t going to say anything bad any of them. 

A10 went to a selected matchup schedule this year instead of the usual rotating matchup that had been used. They put whom they think will be the top 4 teams in H and H, and continues that thru the table. Good in that it will help the top teams SOS. Bad news it will likely put a top team in a lower A10 tourney bracket as a team with a worse NET will win more games. Example might be George Mason who faces a lesser A10 schedule but may win more games than a higher team. But Coach knows we need as tough a schedule as possible. 
Total schedule will be out in a week or two. Teams have contracts but where to put them on the schedule still being worked on. 

-if so would be the earliest I recall

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Sounded to me that Coach is quite happy with Kellen Thames and LHJ as potential PG subs for when Yuri is in need of a rest or in foul trouble.  Hearing that makes me think the need for a backup PG is not as crucial as some of us believe.

Niiiice 

Coach say.  Is that the new coachspeak?  Can I use that from now on?  Some didn't like my use of coachspeak but if coach say is a-okay, I'm in.

Everything is preseason babble right now.  From Ford to Bracketology to Top 144 and so on.  Just generating interest.  But again I am happier knowing Ford at least knows the issue might be there and he might believe he has it licked.  I will always think back to a home game against Northern Iowa and the complete collapse we had without Collins in there.  Good thing it was our last game of the season to find out Deandre wasn't it.

On 6/28/2022 at 9:39 PM, 3star_recruit said:

They're not chopped liver.  But the facts are the facts.  If Perkins is not close to being regular Perkins, then Yuri will get harassed at the end of games and we're in the same situation we were in last year.  Stop Yuri and you stop us. 

And that’s not hard to do with big athletic guards.  Yuri has to have a scorer to take the pressure off him.

9 hours ago, Slowry said:

And that’s not hard to do with big athletic guards.  Yuri has to have a scorer to take the pressure off him.

Last year he did, sometimes. That I agree with. 

Don't say "has" because you have no idea what parts of his game he's developed or added new over the offseason - we're talking about the guy gunning for the NBA, I'm sure he's got some new things to show us. 

21 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Don't say "has" because you have no idea what parts of his game he's developed or added new over the offseason - we're talking about the guy gunning for the NBA, I'm sure he's got some new things to show us. 

Other than the fact that Yuri is the only realistic NBA candidate in the team, this comment can be applied to other players in the team.

10 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I think Perkins is more likely to play in the NBA than Yuri. That said, I wouldn't bet on either.

i actually like okoro for the best chance to have a journeyman's nba career.   tell me he doesnt have a little kevon looney feel when watching the warriors.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i actually like okoro for the best chance to have a journeyman's nba career.   tell me he doesnt have a little kevon looney feel when watching the warriors.  

He has no shot.  Practically every big in the NBA can shoot 10+ feet out.  If he can quickly develop a mid range I'd agree.

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He has no shot.  Practically every big in the NBA can shoot 10+ feet out.  If he can quickly develop a mid range I'd agree.

Correct.

A Center in the NBA needs to at least be a threat from the Arc.  Joel Embiid even shot 37% from downtown last seson. 

Okoro may have taken a 10 footer or two, but his range is 5' and in.  Okoro hasn't shown to be a French-level rim protector or has the ability to pass the ball.

27 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Correct.

A Center in the NBA needs to at least be a threat from the Arc.  Joel Embiid even shot 37% from downtown last seson. 

Okoro may have taken a 10 footer or two, but his range is 5' and in.  Okoro hasn't shown to be a French-level rim protector or has the ability to pass the ball.

All good points HP I thought Okoro made a big jump last season and I hope the next jump would be to improve on rim protection and a 10 foot jumper. 

36 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Correct.

There are plenty of NBA centers who can’t shoot from the outside.  You can’t use a guy who is regularly an MVP candidate as an example of the typical NBA center.  Usually non-elite centers who can’t shoot or defend on the perimeter (or both)  are planted on the bench during the playoffs.  Regular season big men have a more typical skill set.

brianstl and dlarry like this

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Correct.

This is even close to being correct.  This is a myth that people who don't watch enough NBA basketball believe. Some starting NBA centers are a threat from three, most are not.  Hell most rarely if ever even attempt a three much less make one.  

Sure you have a few guys that pop into your head like Embid and Jokic.  They really are the unicorns. 

Khem Birch, Kevon Looney, Mason Plumlee, Jakob Poeltl, Steven Adams, Robert Williams, Mitchell Robinson, Ivica Zubac, Richaun Holmes, Jarrett Allen, Jusuf Nurkić, Clint Capela, Deandre Ayton, Bam Adebayo, and Rudy Gobert were the starting centers for 15 teams last season.  That is half of the league.  They made a combined 28 3 point shots total.

Williams, Adebayo and Looney made up three quarters of the NBA Conference Finalist teams.  They made 0 three point shots combined.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

This is even close to being correct.  This is a myth that people who don't watch enough NBA basketball believe. Some starting NBA centers are a threat from three, most are not.  Hell most rarely if ever even attempt a three much less make one.  

Sure you have a few guys that pop into your head like Embid and Jokic.  They really are the unicorns. 

Khem Birch, Kevon Looney, Mason Plumlee, Jakob Poeltl, Steven Adams, Robert Williams, Mitchell Robinson, Ivica Zubac, Richaun Holmes, Jarrett Allen, Jusuf Nurkić, Clint Capela, Deandre Ayton, Bam Adebayo, and Rudy Gobert were the starting centers for 15 teams last season.  That is half of the league.  They made a combined 28 3 point shots total.

Williams, Adebayo and Looney made up three quarters of the NBA Conference Finalist teams.  They made 0 three point shots combined.

I watch plenty of NBA.  Okoro won't make it.  He has no outside shot.  But I hope you are right in that he makes it.

49 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I watch plenty of NBA.  Okoro won't make it.  He has no outside shot.  But I hope you are right in that he makes it.

When did he say that he will makes it?

It looks like all he said was most NBA centers don’t shoot 3’s. It also looks like facts were provided backing up that statement. 

brianstl and BilliesBy40 like this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

That is an interesting comp. Okoro has some of the measurables needed to get a look, including a huge wingspan.