2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I agree with what 3 Star is saying, but Parker possibly being another Perkins and Perkins possibly being 80% to 100% gives me more hope than just one of those possibilities that we can persevere in the early schedule.  That being said, I readily admit that Perkins struggled in non-con his first year.  So, not sure we can pencil Parker in just yet.

I wasn't sure how accurate this was but I remember a significant difference between conference and non-conference '19-20 JP, so I looked into it:

He averaged 10.6 points/3.5 rebounds/0.7 assists/0.8 steals in conference play that year.

If we get that out of Parker this fall we're going into conference play unscathed. 

12 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I wasn't sure how accurate this was but I remember a significant difference between conference and non-conference '19-20 JP, so I looked into it:

He averaged 10.6 points/3.5 rebounds/0.7 assists/0.8 steals in conference play that year.

If we get that out of Parker this fall we're going into conference play unscathed. 

Right, he got less shots and PT, coming of the bench with Jimerson. Then Jimerson got hurt and Perkins took over the scoring load of both. That said, in non-conference that year, our team took off when Perkins and Jimerson hit the floor together.

2 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Right, he got less shots and PT, coming of the bench with Jimerson. Then Jimerson got hurt and Perkins took over the scoring load of both. That said, in non-conference that year, our team took off when Perkins and Jimerson hit the floor together.

Those averages include a game where he took 2 shots in just 2 minutes of PT so take them with a grain of salt. 

20 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Not if as inefficient as Perkins was that first half, shot 26% from 3 and 35% FG

Bills By 40 likes this

20 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

TF said Thames would be a superstar on the radio. I think today. Can’t find a link. Start the freshmen summer hype!

I think Thames will be the player that we thought Nesbitt would be.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

15 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

3 star i keep hearing parker is the real deal and the equal of perkins.   of course havent seen for myself, but let's not be so quick to pin our hopes just on perkins yet.    

That’s my thinking too. He may not be the Perk of 20-21 to start with but give him some time. Also, Pickett’s the X factor. 

4 hours ago, BuiltFordBills said:

I know these Twitter maps are BS and just done to get engagement….but I still like seeing the Bills on there

No love for the University of Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks, I noticed. Typical of today’s biased sports media.

14 hours ago, almaman said:

I was serious but I now meant  great player. cool can't have too many of them. So all that's left is to whine about backup point guard who can sub Yuri for a few minutes :)

If Thames gets any PT it's because he IS that backup point guard who can sub Yuri for a few minutes 

On 6/28/2022 at 9:39 PM, 3star_recruit said:

They're not chopped liver.  But the facts are the facts.  If Perkins is not close to being regular Perkins, then Yuri will get harassed at the end of games and we're in the same situation we were in last year.  Stop Yuri and you stop us. 

You mean the situation we were in last year when we won 23 games

On 6/28/2022 at 9:39 PM, 3star_recruit said:

They're not chopped liver.  But the facts are the facts.  If Perkins is not close to being regular Perkins, then Yuri will get harassed at the end of games and we're in the same situation we were in last year.  Stop Yuri and you stop us. 

I get your point and it obviously has validity. However, this year we at least have some guys that have the potential to be much less Yuri dependent than basically everyone was most of last year. How will they be in November? That’s the question. The Europe trip will undoubtedly help especially if Perk is less than 80%. 

Pick obviously has the ability to score. I thought Thatch was beginning to show the ability at the end of last year and Parker? Though none are Perkins, it has the potential to be a better situation than last year. 

35 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I get your point and it obviously has validity. However, this year we at least have some guys that have the potential to be much less Yuri dependent than basically everyone was most of last year. How will they be in November? That’s the question. The Europe trip will undoubtedly help especially if Perk is less than 80%. 

Pick obviously has the ability to score. I thought Thatch was beginning to show the ability at the end of last year and Parker? Though none are Perkins, it has the potential to be a better situation than last year. 

The only times this program has impressed against quality opponents in November is when the closer(s) has been well defined.  When Perkins is healthy, we know he's the guy. 

When folks start using terms like "incremental improvement" and "by committee", the alternative is not well defined.  There's some trial and error involved.  If we go 3-1 in our tough games in November while we're engaged in that process, great.  But is that a reasonable expectation?

15 hours ago, HenryB said:

Good interview with Coach Ford. Several highlights 

NBA Scouts/GM’s told Coach that Yuri does have a shot at the NBA. He has to improve his shot. Doesn’t need to be elite, but needs to be able to score in the League. The rest of his game is solid. 

Perkins is a week or two away from being cleared for contact. Pickett will play multiple positions. Sees him as a combo 3 and 4. 

Highlighted all the newcomers. Of course is isn’t going to say anything bad any of them. 

A10 went to a selected matchup schedule this year instead of the usual rotating matchup that had been used. They put whom they think will be the top 4 teams in H and H, and continues that thru the table. Good in that it will help the top teams SOS. Bad news it will likely put a top team in a lower A10 tourney bracket as a team with a worse NET will win more games. Example might be George Mason who faces a lesser A10 schedule but may win more games than a higher team. But Coach knows we need as tough a schedule as possible. 
Total schedule will be out in a week or two. Teams have contracts but where to put them on the schedule still being worked on. 

Sounded to me that Coach is quite happy with Kellen Thames and LHJ as potential PG subs for when Yuri is in need of a rest or in foul trouble.  Hearing that makes me think the need for a backup PG is not as crucial as some of us believe.