2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

On 6/27/2022 at 2:05 PM, HoosierPal said:

I find this ranking interesting.  For me, the safe thing to do at this point in the preseason is to place the teams in three, five team tiers.  Even that isn't easy.  Tier 1, top four of Dayton, SLU, Loyola and VCU seem safe, but then pick Richmond, Davidson, Mason, Rhody or UMass as the 5th.  Any of them could get there.  Chemistry will be hug factor for several teams. 

Second tier, mix and match up from the Top Tier, but will Fordham make that cut at 10?  LaSalle, no thanks, but St. Bonnie has Schmidt.  If he gets the chemistry right, they could get to #10.

Bottom Tier, the last three seem "safe", but if St. B goes up, someone has to come down.  Fun to guess.

And the BIGGEST ISSUE, with 15 teams, will all 15 to the the A10 Tourney?  Will there be a Pre-Pillow Fight, Pillow Fight? Or will #15 simply get to watch the tourney on TV???

Why not only the top 12 make it with no bye

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

Kind of an apples and oranges comparison with Indiana, Rutgers, and ND. Using IU as an example, they played 1 Q1 and 2 Q2 games in non-conference play. Their high total is mainly a product of being in the Big 10, where between regular season and tournament play they got 16 Q1 or Q2 games. SLU has put together a great non-conference schedule, arguably the toughest in the conference. By virtue of bigger conferences going to a 20 game schedule, this is about as good as it can get in OOC. To get more Q2 games, the A-10 needs some organic improvement. 

And last year we were competing with the IU’s, Rutgers and ND’s when it came to selection. Of course they all have many Q1/2 games via conference play.  That is EXACTLY WHY we need as tough an OOC schedule as possible. 

4 hours ago, Adman said:

For top-20 schools, maybe not much. But for those outside that, gunning to make the tourney, the Bills are expected to be a tourney team and a Q1 team. Plenty of reason to do a two-year H&H deal.

You may be correct for the coming season.

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

And last year we were competing with the IU’s, Rutgers and ND’s when it came to selection. Of course they all have many Q1/2 games via conference play.  That is EXACTLY WHY we need as tough an OOC schedule as possible. 

If Perkins isn't at least 80% on day one, we'll be hard pressed to win a Q1 game in November.  And none of us knows what his condition will be.

Bizziken likes this

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Perkins isn't at least 80% on day one, we'll the hard pressed to win a Q1 game in November.  And none of us knows what his condition will be.

That’s pretty pessimistic. You think Jimerson, Collins, Thatch, Okoro, Hargrove, and Pickett are chopped liver? Not to mention that there are other good new players in the mix.

5 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

That’s pretty pessimistic. You think Jimerson, Collins, Thatch, Okoro, Hargrove, and Pickett are chopped liver? Not to mention that there are other good new players in the mix.

They're not chopped liver.  But the facts are the facts.  If Perkins is not close to being regular Perkins, then Yuri will get harassed at the end of games and we're in the same situation we were in last year.  Stop Yuri and you stop us. 

22 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

They're not chopped liver.  But the facts are the facts.  If Perkins is not close to being regular Perkins, then Yuri will get harassed at the end of games and we're in the same situation we were in last year.  Stop Yuri and you stop us. 

“The facts are the facts” 

(no facts offered) 

stmdragons and Fraz like this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Perkins isn't at least 80% on day one, we'll be hard pressed to win a Q1 game in November.  And none of us knows what his condition will be.

I think that view dismisses Picket. Picket gives us a big guard who plays tough D with a lot of quad 1 experience. 

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

“The facts are the facts” 

(no facts offered) 

See last season. L's in big games and no tournament without JP.

I used to be a Pollyanna.  The last few decades have drained that from me, I'm thinking we go 11-7 this year in Conference.

Bizziken and Box and Won like this

I think it is entirely too early to discuss how well or how not so well we are going to do next season. There are a lot of unknowns ahead of us that will become clear once the season starts. Until then what we are dealing with is our hopes and fears, intermingled with prior statistics and video clips.

Every year at this time the top 144 Countdown Roundup comes out and people talk about it like it was consistently correct in its estimates, far from it. This is a tough time.

3 star i keep hearing parker is the real deal and the equal of perkins.   of course havent seen for myself, but let's not be so quick to pin our hopes just on perkins yet.    

willie likes this

I don't think it's fair to compare our game against Evansville to Davidson's against Purdue but I do agree with HoosierPal that we need as many Q1/Q2 games as possible and we need to win them. A game against a likely bottom half Q2 team is kind of the ideal situation for me. A game you should win, and probably should win comfortably being at home, but still a game that looks good when you blindly look at Q1/Q2 wins at the end of the year. Or just in general I wish it wasn't against Evansville who very well may be the worst team on our schedule. 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

3 star i keep hearing parker is the real deal and the equal of perkins.   of course havent seen for myself, but let's not be so quick to pin our hopes just on perkins yet.    

If Parker is in the mold of Perkins, then we should expect him to make the transition to D1 ball by January.

But who closes out the game against Q1 components in November?  Some combination of Perkins and Yuri, right?

30 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If Parker is in the mold of Perkins, then we should expect him to make the transition to D1 ball by January.

But who closes out the game against Q1 components in November?  Some combination of Perkins and Yuri, right?

I was going to ask you about Parker but I have your answer and I trust your opinions.

The only thing good about Perkins injury was that it happened in an exhibition game so before the season starts it will be a year that it happened and almost a year since his surgery.

I am hoping for other players to have improved enough to be to be able to step up to win those Q1 tight games but realistically I agree what teams will do with Yuri.  

46 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Didn't someone - maybe Coach Tate - say something about Gibby coming into this year with a new attitude and toughness, or something to that effect?

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The Billikens should be able to beat a team with let's say a net ranking of 72 on the road with Perkins at less than 80% in November.  The Billikens should be able to beat a team with a net ranking of 49 at a neutral site in November with a less than 80% Perkins.  Those would all be Q1 wins.  

Will they have a chance against a top 10 team in November even at home with a less than 80% Perkins?  No, but the Q1 games you can win in November with a less than 80% Perkins involve a wide range of teams.

majerus mojo likes this

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think you're looking at this all wrong. First of all, there's a very real chance that Perkins is at or around 100% to start the season. It's more likely that he's brushing the dust off the skillset than regaining physical abilities IMO, because it will have been over a year by then and ACL injuries aren't what they used be. 

If Perkins isn't at 100% then he will be used conservatively in early games. We kept big games close without him last see (See: Auburn) and that was with a weaker supporting cast than what we have now, even without Perkins. If Perkins is at, say, 80% of his former self, but he plays limited minutes and is still fresh in those late-game situations, we're still good. 

So my question is - Do you not trust Yuri, Jimerson, Parker, Thatch, Hargrove, Forrester, Okoro, and the gang to not hang in those tough games early in the season?

SShoe likes this

6 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

So my question is - Do you not trust Yuri, Jimerson, Parker, Thatch, Hargrove, Forrester, Okoro, and the gang to not hang in those tough games early in the season?

Lol I forgot Pickett. This roster is fu(k!nG stacked.  

Fraz likes this

5 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I think you're looking at this all wrong. First of all, there's a very real chance that Perkins is at or around 100% to start the season. It's more likely that he's brushing the dust off the skillset than regaining physical abilities IMO, because it will have been over a year by then and ACL injuries aren't what they used be. 

If Perkins isn't at 100% then he will be used conservatively in early games. We kept big games close without him last see (See: Auburn) and that was with a weaker supporting cast than what we have now, even without Perkins. If Perkins is at, say, 80% of his former self, but he plays limited minutes and is still fresh in those late-game situations, we're still good. 

There's never a question of toughness when it comes to Team Blue.  We didn't fade at the end of games last year due to a lack of toughness.  We faded because without Yuri creating for them, our other players are not particularly hard to guard. 

If Perkins isn't quite ready to share closing duties in November, what do you expect the last 5 min against Miami or Providence to look like?

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

There's never a question of toughness when it comes to Team Blue.  We didn't fade at the end of games last year due to a lack of toughness.  We faded because without Yuri creating for them, our other players are not particularly hard to guard. 

If Perkins isn't quite ready to share closing duties in November, what do you expect the last 5 min against Miami or Providence to look like?

What I'm saying is I think we can expect to have Perkins play limited minutes to be fresh in those closing duty scenarios. The staff has surely thought of this. 

Otherwise, a committee of Thatch, Jimerson, Parker, Pickett, the big guys, Yuri...there's more than enough for other teams to worry about. Maybe Parker will be as good as everyone is suggesting he'll be - that'd solve a lot of problems. 

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

So this statement isn't true?

If Perkins isn't close to being Perkins, Yuri will get harassed at the end of games.

Did last year not happen?

I am just leaning more towards a "past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results" perspective. Our players should be better than last season, with the added continuity others won't have, along with a couple new contributors. I'd also suspect closing out these games is at the top of Ford's off-season fix list. 

Bills By 40 likes this

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The Euro trip should give us a good indication if Parker is a "Perkins" and if Perkins is back near 100%.  I'll wait on the Euro trip to make my very uneducated assessment of season possibilities.

Bizziken likes this

12 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

The Euro trip should give us a good indication if Parker is a "Perkins" and if Perkins is back near 100%.  I'll wait on the Euro trip to make my very uneducated assessment of season possibilities.

We're lucky to have the Euro trip because any extra time for our new additions to gel and learn each other against other competition is a very much needed advantage. If we can play like a December team in November and a January team in December we're going to make some big waves

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

I agree with what 3 Star is saying, but Parker possibly being another Perkins and Perkins possibly being 80% to 100% gives me more hope than just one of those possibilities that we can persevere in the early schedule.  That being said, I readily admit that Perkins struggled in non-con his first year.  So, not sure we can pencil Parker in just yet.