2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

what does that say about the a-10 if they included a guy that hasnt played for a year?!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

what does that say about the a-10 if they included a guy that hasnt played for a year?!

That a healthy Javonte Perkins is a first-teamer (which we already knew).  And that Dayton's top two freshmen, who had one of the best freshman season's in A10 history, are not considered probable first-teamers as sophomores.  I think that's a mistake.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

That a healthy Javonte Perkins is a first-teamer (which we already knew).  And that Dayton's top two freshmen, who had one of the best freshman season's in A10 history, are not considered probable first-teamers as sophomores.  I think that's a mistake.

So doctor 3 star he's definitely all healthy and 100% recovered and back to where he was prior to his injury?

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

So doctor 3 star he's definitely all healthy and 100% recovered and back to where he was prior to his injury?

Roy, ACL tear today is not what is was 10, even 5 years ago. Perkins is too good to not be included on a list like that. He’s more likely to be an All-American than anything lower than 1st team A10.

12 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but home game against Murray State on 11/7 at Chaiftez.

Great way to start the season!!!

No problem, we’ll erase the Racers.

43 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Not sure if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but home game against Murray State on 11/7 at Chaiftez.

Great way to start the season!!!

This is a good game for an opener.  I suspect because of their excellent season last year & Ja Morant being a young NBA phenom casual fans will overrate Murray State quite a bit.  Hopefully that means a good turnout.

However, Murray State lost almost their entire team to graduation / transfer portal including head coach Matt McMahon jumping to LSU.  If I'm looking at it correctly, the return 1 very low usage starter (DJ Burns) and everyone else on the team is new.  They won't  be anywhere close to as good as last season and with so many new faces, it could take time for them to mesh.  Hopefully we can blow the out & then they turn into a decent MVC team with the pieces they added.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Ryan Kalkbrenner suffered a knee injury in the NCAA tournament and he's listed at 29.  Listing him that high isn't a referendum on the Big East.  These are optimistic rankings that assume players come back healthy, regardless of what conference they play in.

cgeldmacher likes this

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Roy, ACL tear today is not what is was 10, even 5 years ago. Perkins is too good to not be included on a list like that. He’s more likely to be an All-American than anything lower than 1st team A10.

you're all probably right, but i will wait and see.   as an experienced billiken fan i say we are the masters of the bad luck syndrome and nothing is as expected.   and no way i would put a out for a year guy on an expected all league team without seeing him even play again.  

Old guy likes this

5 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Ryan Kalkbrenner suffered a knee injury in the NCAA tournament and he's listed at 29.  Listing him that high isn't a referendum on the Big East.  These are optimistic rankings that assume players come back healthy, regardless of what conference they play in.

thnx Doc

https://heatcheckcbb.com/way-too-early-a10-basketball-preview-2022-23-projected-standings-sleeper-team-more/

Way too early A10 Projected Standings.  Teaser, St. Joseph is picked for 15th.  I guess I can buy into the rankings, if you group them in 5's.   Too low on Fordham, too high on GW.  The teams with a large number of new players are hard to position.

not a bad attempt.  Something to think about .... the college game is a guard's game as noted in past iterations.  St. Joe's on;y has Reynolds.  Duquesne no one.  Fordham and La Salle very little.  Geedubya has the ball-hogging Bishop.  Rhode Island and Bonaventure are unknowns.  Mason needs to find one as they had none last year and return no one this year.  Umass has Fernandes and that's a lot.  Richmond lost everyone and while Davidson returns Loyer, he has little in terms of a supporting cast.  Which leaves the top four.

Loyola has Norris which is good.  Dayton only has one real point in Smith; this weakness shown out in the Richmond A10 semifinal last year and later in the NIT.  They can't lose him.  Conversely, we have Collins.  And really little else as far as ballhanlding and playmaking goes.  Which means the stable is once again in Richmond at VCU.  But they too suffer immensely if and when Baldwin is out of the lineup.  Those are my keys ---- which point guard survives.

9 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I wouldn't be so low on Archie. 

I think archie will have Rhody into a top 4 team, but it wont be until the following season. Looking at this roster, they have 3 guys I see being pretty good, but way too many players who did not play last year that will be asked to contribute.  Wild card team for sure. 

I also don't care too much for the ramblers roster, I would be ok with putting Rhody ahead of them. 

Speculation is always accepted by all, but how do determine how soon basically retooled teams will gell and perform.  Duquesne has 9 new players, Fordham, VCU and UMass 7, LaSalle and Rhode Island 8 and St. Bonaventure 10.  Rosters aren't complete yet either.  

Just look at Davidson's Loyer.  He went from a 4 ppg player at Michigan State to 2nd Team All Conference in the A10.  How many more Loyer's are coming in next season? 

Do you look at the coach and speculate based on his history?  Then yes, Rhode Island and UMass should be solid, as should be St. Bonaventure.  Strange that VCU has 7 new players coming in and most (including me) are high on them.   Is it because of the 6 left overs, Coach Rhodes, or the 7 newcomers?  Does Duquesne get a thumbs down simply because of Dambrot?

Certainly Dayton will all significant contributors plus maybe the top freshman is a safe pick for a top slot.  And the Bills certainly do have high expectations, with basically Perkins replacing Nesbitt. 

Basically it's a crapshoot at this juncture.  And I'm looking forward to an entrtaining A10 season.

46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

2022-23 early projections on T-Rank

Murray State - 195

Memphis - 49

Boise State - 153

Drake - 59

Auburn - 19

Iona - 110

SIU-C - 90

Maryland - 50

Providence - 64

Miami - 21

Murray State & Boise look good on paper because they were really good last year, but they both lost a ton of players.  Still a really tough schedule though.