Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TheOne said:

Loyola H&H confirmed

Loyola H&H is awesome / should be a no brainer for the A10. 

I can't imagine why this would necessarily change our ongoing H&H with Dayton.  That being said the A10 loves to screw things up, so I have to add this.  If we were forced to chose H&H with Dayton vs H&H with Loyola, I'm still picking Dayton probably every year.  A10 would be incredibly stupid not to do both.

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Loyola H&H is awesome / should be a no brainer for the A10. 

I can't imagine why this would necessarily change our ongoing H&H with Dayton.  That being said the A10 loves to screw things up, so I have to add this.  If we were forced to chose H&H with Dayton vs H&H with Loyola, I'm still picking Dayton probably every year.  A10 would be incredibly stupid not to do both.

100% UD over Loyola for me. 

UD is logical but when has the A10 been logical?  With 15 teams now, it would also be logical to add a sixteenth team, preferable west of Pittsburgh.  But who does that look like?  The East is unbalanced:

East: Umass, Rhodey, Fordham, La Salle, St. Joe's, Mason, Geedubya, Richmond, VCU, and Davidson.

West: SLU, Loyola, Dayton, Duquesne, Bonaventure.  

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Are u saying UD is not a H&H every year? I thought that was a given. 

I don't think it is set in stone anywhere that SLU has to have H&H with Dayton.  We've had a H&H with Dayton every year we've been in the A10 except for 2012-13.  Our lone H&H in 2012-13 was with Butler.  A10 was a 16 team conference that year with 16 game conference schedule, so we only had one H&H oppponent.  You'd assume in a 15 team league with an 18 game conference schedule, there would still be room for a Dayton H&H every year as well as a Loyola H&H every year.  However, we are talking about the A10 here, so they'll probably give us a H&H with Duquesne or something instead.

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Three pods of 5 each would make more sense, take the 5 in the west in one pod, divide the rest equally, H&H every year within the pod, play once a year for the rest, alternating home and away

NE pod: UMass, Rhody, Fordham, La Salle, and St. Joe's

SE pod: Mason, Geedubya, Richmond, VCU, and Davidson

West pod: SLU, Loyola, Dayton, Duquesne, and Bonaventure

I'm happy to get Dayton & Loyola every year, but I'm not necessarily in love with this arrangement for SLU.  That being said, it would be easiest.

I'll also throw in the caveat that if we continue to see some COVID cancellations, it would be incredibly foolish to have set in stone conference schedule / H&H partners.  A-10 should maintain flexibility to re-do the schedule on the fly if needed.

Even better, add that one west of Pittsburgh team as Taj suggests to get to 16 teams.  Then divide into four divisions.

Div. 1 - UMass, Rhodey, Fordam, and Bonnies

Div. 2 - LaSalle, St. Joe, GW, and GMason

Div. 3 - Davidson, VCU, Richmond, and Duquesne

Div. 4 - SLU, Dayton, Loyola, and team to be added

If we play 18 games that means we can play every non-division team once (12 games) and every division team twice (6 games).  It's perfect.

Also, Division 3 and Division 4 above are already stacked with the teams more likely to be more highly ranked.

Bills By 40 likes this

19 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Even better, add that one west of Pittsburgh team as Taj suggests to get to 16 teams.  Then divide into four divisions.

Div. 1 - UMass, Rhodey, Fordam, and Bonnies

Div. 2 - LaSalle, St. Joe, GW, and GMason

Div. 3 - Davidson, VCU, Richmond, and Duquesne

Div. 4 - SLU, Dayton, Loyola, and team to be added

If we play 18 games that means we can play every non-division team once (12 games) and every division team twice (6 games).  It's perfect.

Also, Division 3 and Division 4 above are already stacked with the teams more likely to be more highly ranked.

Make that team TBA Belmont and this is my dream scenario. Annual Chicago and Nashville Billiken trips would be sick. 

Division 4 would be all private Midwestern schools. 

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

A 10 should go after Belmont. We screwed up letting the MVC nab them. I’d still pursue them. 

If Loyola-Chicago is any indication, moving to the MVC doesn't preclude moving to the A10 shortly thereafter. It may actually facilitate it.

25 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Witchita state is maybe a better option.

Nashville is just so much cooler than Wichita. Not to mention Nashville fits in the geographical radius better than Wichita, which is 440 miles further west than the current western conference border. 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I.

Taking the kids to NYC 3 weeks from today in fact and cannot wait. Taking the Amtrak up from DC.  

By the way, one of the best documentaries i've ever watched. Written and directed by Ric Burns, the brother of Ken Burns: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/new-york/  Well worth the 14+ hours. 

Yes! Especially the segments they do on Robert Moses. My goodness, what a polarizing figure. I’m about 1/2 way thru Robert Caro’s Pulitzer Prize winning biography on Moses. You either love the guy for basically renovating / revitalizing NYC or you hate him for doing everything for the sake of the automobile that he himself never drove! are you an Acela guy or on the old Northeastern when you do Amtrak? 

On 6/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, Bills By 40 said:

Nashville is just so much cooler than Wichita. Not to mention Nashville fits in the geographical radius better than Wichita, which is 440 miles further west than the current western conference border. 

We can add them both when LaSalle takes their pool and fog machine down to D-3.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:20 PM, thatskablamo said:

Yes! Especially the segments they do on Robert Moses. My goodness, what a polarizing figure. I’m about 1/2 way thru Robert Caro’s Pulitzer Prize winning biography on Moses. You either love the guy for basically renovating / revitalizing NYC or you hate him for doing everything for the sake of the automobile that he himself never drove! are you an Acela guy or on the old Northeastern when you do Amtrak? 

His early work was absolutely necessary but, like anyone else with absolute power, he became a little greedy and drunk on his own power. Hate is probably a strong word but I'm definitely not a fan of Moses. Thankfully, with the help of Jane Jacobs, his plan to bulldoze his way through the middle of Greenwich Village to build the Lower Manhattan Expressway never came to fruition. Speaking of great books, Jacobs' The Death and Life of Great American Cities is a good one.

I wish we were taking the Acela but the schedule didn't work out so we are taking the Northeastern. We live in St. Louis but I've got a work conference in DC every year and the wife and kids tag along and visit the Smithsonians while I'm working. This will be our fist time on the Northeastern. My 2 year old son is obsessed with trains so he's going to lose his mind!

In an effort to keep this 2022-2023 season-related, I can't wait to travel up to Loyola this upcoming season! When I toured colleges back in the day I visited Loyola in February and it was so cold with that wind whipping in off the lake I ruled out Loyola immediately. I'm sure it will be no different when I head up for SLU's dominant performance this season!