2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Fraz said:

True for non-Chicago natives.  There’s many fans living here who’d surely go after work on a Wednesday.  If A10 was smart they’d schedule us every year for Saturday afternoon.  Loyola/SLU would be the biggest weekend event in all of Chicago considering the brutal weather 

And the Bud Billiken Parade would have to go up LSD to Sheridan Road!!! Billiken Invasion!

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Chicago is, or used to be, a really great city to visit. I always considered it to be a New York with nice people living there, not like the other New York City in the East Coast. Yes, I am biased in favor of Chicago.

Interesting.  Kind of thought the opposite.  For a long time I had never been to NYC, and I always thought how massive Chicago was.  Once I visited NYC and went back to Chicago, it was completely different.  Seemed like just another city to me.  And Also not sure I agree on the people too.  NYC people are rough folks, but Chicago people are overly - snobby.  

AGB91 likes this

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Chicago is, or used to be, a really great city to visit. I always considered it to be a New York with nice people living there, not like the other New York City in the East Coast. Yes, I am biased in favor of Chicago.

I've always found New Yorkers to be some of the nicest and most knowledgeable people I know. Angelenos?  Not so much. When I lived in LA, I can't tell you how many times people responded with "I've never been to Louisiana" when I told them I was from St. Louis. It was odd. Many Chicagoans i've encountered come off as overly defensive d bags. Not sure if it's just insecurity or bitterness for playing second fiddle to the coastal giants. Of course there are also some great Chicagoans, many on this board in fact. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Interesting.  Kind of thought the opposite.  For a long time I had never been to NYC, and I always thought how massive Chicago was.  Once I visited NYC and went back to Chicago, it was completely different.  Seemed like just another city to me.  And Also not sure I agree on the people too.  NYC people are rough folks, but Chicago people are overly - snobby.  

Chicago is a fun (and convenient) city to visit but it doesn't come close to touching New York. Not in terms of history, not in terms of culture. New York truly has been the "world's laboratory" since the early 17th century. Massachusetts had the Puritans, Pennsylvania had the Quakers, Virginia had the Anglicans, New York had entrepreneurial spirit as its foundation.

Taking the kids to NYC 3 weeks from today in fact and cannot wait. Taking the Amtrak up from DC.  

By the way, one of the best documentaries i've ever watched. Written and directed by Ric Burns, the brother of Ken Burns: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/new-york/  Well worth the 14+ hours. 

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've always found New Yorkers to be some of the nicest and most knowledgeable people I know. Angelenos?  Not so much. When I lived in LA, I can't tell you how many times people responded with "I've never been to Louisiana" when I told them I was from St. Louis. It was odd. Many Chicagoans i've encountered come off as overly defensive d bags. Not sure if it's just insecurity or bitterness for playing second fiddle to the coastal giants. Of course there are also some great Chicagoans, many on this board in fact. 

Chicago is a fun (and convenient) city to visit but it doesn't come close to touching New York. Not in terms of history, not in terms of culture. New York truly has been the "world's laboratory" since the early 17th century. Massachusetts had the Puritans, Pennsylvania had the Quakers, Virginia had the Anglicans, New York had entrepreneurial spirit as its foundation.

Taking the kids to NYC 3 weeks from today in fact and cannot wait. Taking the Amtrak up from DC.  

By the way, one of the best documentaries i've ever watched. Written and directed by Ric Burns, the brother of Ken Burns: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/new-york/  Well worth the 14+ hours. 

I have worked in Chicago; New York and LA.  Chicago is the worse for unfriendly people.  However when I am doing a show at McCormick Place on the company’s expenses it the most fun probably since I have been there a lot.

I love the New Yorkers accents and attitude and had a lot of fun with the workers in the factories I work in.  The food is great and it’s nice to be on the company’s expense account.

LA was not as laid back as I thought it would be especially when driving the speed limit on the highway.  Trying to cross the street on a LA cross walk is scary and if you see a car even though the pedestrian has the right of way don’t cross the street.  I have had the walk sign and people making rights on reds would not stop.

20 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

If you  are taking the kids up to NYC, I would highly recommend going to visit "the Cloisters". This is an old well preserved monastery of some kind up in a bluff overlooking the Hudson with what used to be lovely grounds, and if I remember correctly a lovely meddioeval museum inside the buildings, a perfect spot for a picnic. Well worth it.

If you are going to be in DC with the kids, you should visit Dumbarton Oaks (used to be free). This is a massive Harvard owned mansion with English and French Gardens. Each garden has sculpture and a theme which is different, many have fountains and pools. It is incredibly beautiful particularly if the gardens are in bloom. The property houses the Harvard center for Bizantine and Pre Columbian studies and has a small museum which is also lovely. It is located at the upper end of Georgetown. This is not a place that is widely known by tourists or even by locals. I highly recommend visiting Dumbarton Oaks if you are in DC.

As far as your (plural you) preference for NY over Chicago, all I  can say is "De gustibus non est disputandum."

34 minutes ago, Old guy said:

As far as your (plural you) preference for NY over Chicago, all I  can say is "De gustibus non est disputandum."

For those of you who don't speak Latin this is translated The gust on the bus is not being disputed. I'm not sure what that has to do with the conversation but whatever. 

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

For those of you who don't speak Latin this is translated The gust on the bus is not being disputed. I'm not sure what that has to do with the conversation but whatever. 

You should have used the blue font Sulfanskip, or else your pig Latin is abominable. The meaning of the phrase is "We/I are not disputing taste." In other words taste is an individual choice.

57 minutes ago, Old guy said:

If you  are taking the kids up to NYC, I would highly recommend going to visit "the Cloisters". This is an old well preserved monastery of some kind up in a bluff overlooking the Hudson with what used to be lovely grounds, and if I remember correctly a lovely meddioeval museum inside the buildings, a perfect spot for a picnic. Well worth it.

If you are going to be in DC with the kids, you should visit Dumbarton Oaks (used to be free). This is a massive Harvard owned mansion with English and French Gardens. Each garden has sculpture and a theme which is different, many have fountains and pools. It is incredibly beautiful particularly if the gardens are in bloom. The property houses the Harvard center for Bizantine and Pre Columbian studies and has a small museum which is also lovely. It is located at the upper end of Georgetown. This is not a place that is widely known by tourists or even by locals. I highly recommend visiting Dumbarton Oaks if you are in DC.

I’m not sure how old “dogs” kids are, but the Cloisters is very boring for kids and for most adults for that matter.  He is probably not renting a car when he gets to NYC, but if he does, and the kids are age appropriate, the world’s largest Legoland is in Goshen, NY, about 60 miles north of Manhattan.

20 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Auburn date is set for Sunday, 11/27. Thanksgiving weekend, day after the Iron Bowl.

What an incredible 11 days of sports we have waiting for us in November.

I take it the Iron bowl is some sort of pregame entertainment for the basketball game. Pretty cool they do that. 

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Auburn date is set for Sunday, 11/27. Thanksgiving weekend, day after the Iron Bowl.

I just checked, the Iron Bowl will be in Tuscaloosa this year. Therefore should make it easier for hotel accommodation in Auburn/Opelika and tickets for the game. Will try to make that trip down I-65 to catch this game. I did go to the game they played in Birmingham back in 2019. 

Pistol likes this

36 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

I just checked, the Iron Bowl will be in Tuscaloosa this year. Therefore should make it easier for hotel accommodation in Auburn/Opelika and tickets for the game. Will try to make that trip down I-65 to catch this game. I did go to the game they played in Birmingham back in 2019. 

I’ll be spending Tksgiving in ATL w/daughter and family. Thinking I’ll make it to the game. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Wow, what a week. At first I thought about slotting this week Into second place on my top 3 weeks to have a vasectomy list but most of those games are on the weekend or on holiday days off!

i was a big hopeful fan for the development of jimmy bell.  that said, to project jimmy bell that we remember from the billiken days to average 15 ppg in the big 12 is beyond incredible.   he must have had one hell of a developmental year in jucoland last year!

38 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Larry, from ATL to Auburn is an easy less then a 2 hour drive. You can make it up and back that same day.

I checked that out today. I’m there. Tickets? Thru SLU or Auburn.? 

9 hours ago, Pistol said:

I could only imagine how many dunks Hargrove would have if we played Iran…

BilliesBy40 and Bills By 40 like this