2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This event isn't a tournament in Chicago.  

Sure seems like it is in Chicago.  Am I missing something?  Or maybe you are just saying that it is not a "tournament."  If that is the case, I don't care if it is a tournament or an "annual event."  I just think St. Louis should have something like this.

NEWS: Dayton will play Wyoming and NC State will face Vanderbilt as part of a new annual event on December 17th at the United Center in Chicago, according to multiple sources.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Sure seems like it is in Chicago.  Am I missing something?  Or maybe you are just saying that it is not a "tournament."  If that is the case, I don't care if it is a tournament or an "annual event."  I just think St. Louis should have something like this.

NEWS: Dayton will play Wyoming and NC State will face Vanderbilt as part of a new annual event on December 17th at the United Center in Chicago, according to multiple sources.

It is not a tournament.  It is a double header of neutral site OOC games.

47 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Okay.  Let's go big with this.  Combine this two day tournament with the old high school showcase tournament they used to do at the Arena and the now named Enterprise Center.  Each morning and early afternoon the top local and regional high school teams play matchups against each other.  Each evening, the college teams play a four team tournament.  The kids playing in the high school games and their parents and coaches get free tickets to the college games.  The point of this is that you combine the non-con game tournament with a recruiting event.

As far as the main event games, you can make it so that SLU and Mizzou or SLU and Illinois always make the tournament, but the other teams (UMKC, Lindenwood, SEMO, Mo State, SIU-E, SIU-C) have to play their way in to be one of the two teams that gets into the four team tournament.

The whole thing is a win for everyone.  The high school kids get to play in a big venue and showcase their talent to local coaches.  The local teams get to have some exclusive time with the top kids in the area.  The St. Louis region benefits from the money coming into town for the event.

The old Coca Cola Shootout was always one of my favorite days. I usually went alone as anyone else would want to leave early or go do something else awhile. I was there 1st game to the last everyone starting in 1990 I believe until the end. I miss that day

5 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

The old Coca Cola Shootout was always one of my favorite days. I usually went alone as anyone else would want to leave early or go do something else awhile. I was there 1st game to the last everyone starting in 1990 I believe until the end. I miss that day

That's it.  I couldn't remember the name of it.  The Coca Cola Shootout.

14 minutes ago, willie said:

Yes I didn't state it well but Picket was the guy who made it work. 

Agreed Picket (perhaps his son also helped out?) was the engine behind this great event. He stepped away around the same time as a bunch of other shootouts got started - Mayfield, KY, etc. It went from being a premier national event to just another on the list of options.

3 minutes ago, DOC said:

I would be really surprised if we don't play them twice every year, like Dayton.

Leave it to the A10 to blow a scheduling opportunity like this one. Loyola-Dayton-SLU should all have annual home-and-homes with each other 

bauman likes this

14 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Leave it to the A10 to blow a scheduling opportunity like this one. Loyola-Dayton-SLU should all have annual home-and-homes with each other 

what and lose a game vs duquesne or lasalle?   bite your tongue.  

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

what and lose a game vs duquesne or lasalle?   bite your tongue.  

I said what I said. SOS and quality wins are important. 

We always talk about conference realignment and getting invites to better tournaments but neither of those will happen if we don't start competing with tougher schedules and proving we will travel well. 

11 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I said what I said. SOS and quality wins are important. 

We always talk about conference realignment and getting invites to better tournaments but neither of those will happen if we don't start competing with tougher schedules and proving we will travel well. 

99.9% sure roy was being sarcastic.

3 hours ago, DOC said:

I would be really surprised if we don't play them twice every year, like Dayton.

Assuming the A10 keeps the 18 game schedule, there will be 4 H and H opponents.  Fourteen teams once, and then the extra four games.

Since the Atlantic 10 reconfiguration following the Big East exodus, SLU has played Dayton H and H all 9 seasons.  Next most common foe (at the special request of @billiken_roy to the A10 Commissioner) has been Duquesne 7 times followed by LaSalle 6 times.

Yes it makes too much sense not to put Loyola, Dayton and SLU in H and H set up but we are talking about the A10.  If we get those two, then let the chips fall on the other two.  We have never been paired H and H in conference season with Davidson, GW, or Fordham.

6 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Just going to Loyola is not all that's needed.  It also can't be on a weekday.  I've had that issue before when planning a roadtrip.

True for non-Chicago natives.  There’s many fans living here who’d surely go after work on a Wednesday.  If A10 was smart they’d schedule us every year for Saturday afternoon.  Loyola/SLU would be the biggest weekend event in all of Chicago considering the brutal weather 

cgeldmacher likes this