2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Leave it to Davidson to get by far the most value out of the budget.

Meanwhile St. Joe's and Duquesne are just setting money on fire.

I'm like 99% sure that part of Joe's figure was residual money owed to Martelli for 2020, which was roughly 1.5 million. 

Pistol likes this

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

I'm like 99% sure that part of Joe's figure was residual money owed to Martelli for 2020, which was roughly 1.5 million. 

Makes sense - there could be some other artificially high one-season numbers in a few of these, too. Still not sure about Duquesne - I wouldn't think the new facility would lead to higher annual operating expenses but I have no idea.

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Retaining the coach isn’t as important in the new world.  It is more important to free up some of that money that used to go to the coach from the boosters to give to the players.

brianstl, I think the best way to react to this post is by reposting something I said in the NIL thread regarding a post from Lord Elrond about contracts and legal action. Are you ready to deal with this? (from the NIL thread).

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Did the money guy (Ruiz apparently) who did this deal fail to put an exclusivity clause in the deal? Would this not mean that he could sue Wong if he broke the contract? After all, Wong sold his Name, Image and Likeness in the contract he signed with Ruiz, so if there was an exclusivity clause for a given period of time, wouldn’t that mean he couldn’t sign another NIL deal without being sued for breach of contract?

Yes, this is the way NIL may well develop, like it happens in real life with lots of lawsuits, contracts with all manners of clauses, and court rulings. This should be, and should stay that way, away from control by the coaches and the schools. If this type of environment develops, it may well affect the powerhouse schools as well as the smaller ones. Boys and girls, this is a minefield that you do not want to walk into.

7 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

As of the 2020 season, SLU had the 72nd highest Men's Basketball budget per Department of Education records. Here is where the A-10 shakes out, even though some of these schools likely have changed their commitment to spending in recent years. 3 Man Weave combed through the data a few years ago to compile this list. I've seen it on Twitter from time to time and it is a really interesting look at the CBB landscape! 
https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/college-basketball-budgets-2020

image.png.75230a1be427178cc7c47199b5863f6b.png

Thank you! I still think this is really important to look at. The highest basketball schools only have double the SLU budget. We are fairly comparable to anyone after the top 45, like inside a 20% difference. So, when this all shakes out, are the best programs only going to be able to afford 2x the talented players than SLU? Everyone else is a 20% difference. If so, that might actually be better than it has been. If some one has time, they can compare average recruiting stars per school per year in recruiting and graph it compared to budget. I think those two graphs will match (obviously trend line) in the future.

rgbilliken likes this

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

brianstl, I think the best way to react to this post is by reposting something I said in the NIL thread regarding a post from Lord Elrond about contracts and legal action. Are you ready to deal with this? (from the NIL thread).

Yes, this is the way NIL may well develop, like it happens in real life with lots of lawsuits, contracts with all manners of clauses, and court rulings. This should be, and should stay that way, away from control by the coaches and the schools. If this type of environment develops, it may well affect the powerhouse schools as well as the smaller ones. Boys and girls, this is a minefield that you do not want to walk into.

It's a replication of the front office/coaching staff/players union dynamic in pro sports leagues.  Lawyers and agents will love the new college sports landscape.

Old guy likes this

15 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

As of the 2020 season, SLU had the 72nd highest Men's Basketball budget per Department of Education records. Here is where the A-10 shakes out, even though some of these schools likely have changed their commitment to spending in recent years. 3 Man Weave combed through the data a few years ago to compile this list. I've seen it on Twitter from time to time and it is a really interesting look at the CBB landscape! 
https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/college-basketball-budgets-2020

image.png.75230a1be427178cc7c47199b5863f6b.png

Also: 105 - Loyola Chi - 4,348,837

17 hours ago, Brighton said:

Hyperbole much ?

It would be nice if we did, but the conference is.going to be a tougher road. I believe UMass. Rhode Island, and George Mason will join Richmond, VCU, Davidson, and Dayton as conference challengers. It would be nice if this  created a 3-bid league, but I’ll believe that when I see it.

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's a replication of the front office/coaching staff/players union dynamic in pro sports leagues.  Lawyers and agents will love the new college sports landscape.

You are correct, and the colleges will probably hate this landscape.

27 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Contracts are one of the main reasons why it won't be an overnight process.  As the contracts of coaches expire, smart programs that want to make the best use of their resources will shift some of the booster money that used to go to coaches over to NIL.  This will deflate the earning power of coaches. 

Just look at what has happened to the salaries of managers in baseball.  In 2007 Joe Torre was the highest paid manager in baseball at $7.5 million.  In 2018 the highest paid manager in baseball was Mike Scioscia at $6 million dollars and a total of five managers made $4 million or more.  This year Terry Francona is the highest paid manager in baseball at $4.2 million and he is one of only two managers making $4 million or more.

rgbilliken and majerus mojo like this

37 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Contracts are one of the main reasons why it won't be an overnight process.  As the contracts of coaches expire, smart programs that want to make the best use of their resources will shift some of the booster money that used to go to coaches over to NIL.  This will deflate the earning power of coaches. 

Just look at what has happened to the salaries of managers in baseball.  In 2007 Joe Torre was the highest paid manager in baseball at $7.5 million.  In 2018 the highest paid manager in baseball was Mike Scioscia at $6 million dollars and a total of five managers made $4 million or more.  This year Terry Francona is the highest paid manager in baseball at $4.2 million and he is one of only two managers making $4 million or more.

All about that money ball. This is really good example of what to expect. It will take time, but it will happen.

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

I think it will be very hard to reduce a coach's salary significantly and retain the coach.

You don't have to reduce a coach's salary just let it play out through normal attrition.  When your high priced coach leaves then you hire a new one at significant less money.  Coaches jumping ship for more money may be a thing of the past.

Old guy likes this

13 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You don't have to reduce a coach's salary just let it play out through normal attrition.  When your high priced coach leaves then you hire a new one at significant less money.  Coaches jumping ship for more money may be a thing of the past.

I think that’s dead accurate. Just hire a new one and pay them less, plenty of candidates available. This also applies to Athletic Directors, their assistants, assistant coaches, admin people in the Athletic Department… this also applies to the number of people in those positions being reduced. Sorry, but I think that’s where this is heading. Not overnight, but over time.

remember when college ball was tied to college? When's the last time we've seen any grade related suspensions. I wonder if the NIL contracts require passing grades? if not a talented gordon like one&done could reap in pile of cash & drop out

6 minutes ago, almaman said:

remember when college ball was tied to college? When's the last time we've seen any grade related suspensions. I wonder if the NIL contracts require passing grades? if not a talented gordon like one&done could reap in pile of cash & drop out

Your right, the last time I saw grade related suspensions was in the 1990’s, and that was at Notre Dame. This NIL deal is going to really change things… :)

Did anyone see Yuri’s recent Instagram post asking Deandre Jones to run it back one more time?

Thoughts on DJ returning for a final year?  Does he have eligibility considering his junior season was only 10 games played due to injury?

I’m almost positive Jones does not have any eligibility left.  The season he only played 10 games was the 20-21 season which didn’t count for eligibility regardless.  He has played 4 other seasons.

This is the same reason Okoro only has 1 season of eligibility left.  He played 2 at Oregon.  Sat out the 20-21 season as a transfer / getting healthy and the played this past season.  If Okoro played during 20-21, he’d still have 1 year of eligibility because that season didn’t count.  Not playing that year didn’t give him another year.

4 hours ago, hmart23 said:

Did anyone see Yuri’s recent Instagram post asking Deandre Jones to run it back one more time?

Thoughts on DJ returning for a final year?  Does he have eligibility considering his junior season was only 10 games played due to injury?

What a coincidence 🎲: