2022-2023 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I dont know who deserves the credit, but someone or group at SLU deserves a lot of credit in out manuvering TN in the Yuri situation. Its the first time I recall SLU dealing with a BB crisis and coming out a winner.

Biggest break for SLU hoops in a decade, but you wouldn’t know it from half the posts. Yuri got paid. This is a good thing. We’re going to wreck

rgbilliken likes this

I disagree, but it is too early to have a problem over this. Let's wait to see how Yuri fits in the team this year and what he does before we get into any conflicts about good vs bad. He will play and we will see what he does, there will be no mistake, you may or may not be correct.

13 hours ago, Old guy said:

You forget that someone, who remains unidentified, supposedly payed the fee. Would he have come without the money?

Regardless of whether it took a doner with money, a threat to sue TN. And or reselling the Billikens to Yuri. It had to happen fast. If it took more than coaching  persuasion, it required multiple layers of SLU To approve. Something that hasn't happened quickly in the past, to the benefit of the team. If Ford didn't want Yuri back, he wouldn't be back. Regardless of how it works out management successfully pulled Yuri out of the fire and the Bills are back in the top 25 talk. 

We are in uncharted waters, but at this moment, the Bills are in the game. Management had a choice, be a victim or take action. I think they deserve credit for taking action.

I have absolutely no problems with SLU acting fast and threatening to sue TN. I think this was the  correct move to take. As far as I am concerned, destroying the deal with TN should have been adequate action on our part. We should not allow anyone to poach our players.

What I am concerned about is paying Yuri to stay. If Yuri really wants money then he can go wherever they pay him an "adequate" amount, which should not be SLU. Paying him sets a bad precedent for the team. It is like prescribing opioids to junkies coming to the ER at night and giving all kinds of tall stories to get them. Once you start doing it there will be lines of junkies outside the  ER waiting for their turn to get a prescription.

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

I have absolutely no problems with SLU acting fast and threatening to sue TN. I think this was the  correct move to take. As far as I am concerned, destroying the deal with TN should have been adequate action on our part. We should not allow anyone to poach our players.

What I am concerned about is paying Yuri to stay. If Yuri really wants money then he can go wherever they pay him an "adequate" amount, which should not be SLU. Paying him sets a bad precedent for the team. It is like prescribing opioids to junkies coming to the ER at night and giving all kinds of tall stories to get them. Once you start doing it there will be lines of junkies outside the  ER waiting for their turn to get a prescription.

No offense, but I really hope this is satire. 

BuiltFordBills and hmart23 like this

12 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

No offense, but I really hope this is satire. 

i think he is more right than wrong.   i dont like at all the way this was handled by yuri.   i would be very disappointed if slu boosters had to pay big dollars to get him back.   but i also recognize he is one of the best point guards in billiken history and the chances of replacing him from the portal or one of our other players that will be on the roster next year at his level is next to nothing.   i.e. if we want to be good, we needed his return to happen.

is the team chemistry still ok?   will the return guarantee the good results we all think could happen?   who knows.  but i think the billikens were in a bad spot and had no choice if they wanted a shot at what has been building to come to fruition.  

but i totally understand old guy's thinking and stance.   i just wont go to the extreme of wishing he wasnt back assuming he was indeed bribed to stay.  i am not a good russian roulette player and i doubt coach ford wanted to play such either.   we did what had to be done to have a shot at winning big.  

Adman likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think he is more right than wrong.   i dont like at all the way this was handled by yuri.   i would be very disappointed if slu boosters had to pay big dollars to get him back.   but i also recognize he is one of the best point guards in billiken history and the chances of replacing him from the portal or one of our other players that will be on the roster next year at his level is next to nothing.   i.e. if we want to be good, we needed his return to happen.

is the team chemistry still ok?   will the return guarantee the good results we all think could happen?   who knows.  but i think the billikens were in a bad spot and had no choice if they wanted a shot at what has been building to come to fruition.  

but i totally understand old guy's thinking and stance.   i just wont go to the extreme of wishing he wasnt back assuming he was indeed bribed to stay.  i am not a good russian roulette player and i doubt coach ford wanted to play such either.   we did what had to be done to have a shot at winning big.  

Roy I have never played Russian roulette, the fact that I am here at my age proves it. My thinking in this regard is more military based than sports based. You do not want anyone in your unit that will cause disunity or strife, you get rid of them. I was sorry to see Gordon go because I think he tried hard but just could not do it. I am sorry to see good players go, but I will not be sorry if Yuri goes, particularly after that video where he talked about who was and was not family that was shown around.

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

If he was paid to stay, that's just the state of college basketball now.  I'm not saying that you are, but no one should be blaming a player for taking advantage of the rules as they are.  I would totally agree with you if you said that you despise the new way of doing business in college basketball.  I would totally disagree with you if you think Yuri's actions are somehow going to have a negative effect on our program that wasn't already going to occur at some point.   This was destined to happen in this new system.  Yuri was just the first.

3 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If he was paid to stay, that's just the state of college basketball now.  I'm not saying that you are, but no one should be blaming a player for taking advantage of the rules as they are.  I would totally agree with you if you said that you despise the new way of doing business in college basketball.  I would totally disagree with you if you think Yuri's actions are somehow going to have a negative effect on our program that wasn't already going to occur at some point.   This was destined to happen in this new system.  Yuri was just the first.

First, these are 20 year olds. None of them will remember this in 3 months. Second, if the players (or fans) cannot accept that one of their own would leave to pursue money, such as a professional career, then they need to get ready for disappointment in life.

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If he was paid to stay, that's just the state of college basketball now.  I'm not saying that you are, but no one should be blaming a player for taking advantage of the rules as they are.

This is going to take years for some fans to understand. It sucks, but fans have to adapt. 

On 4/25/2022 at 11:40 AM, HoosierPal said:

A tease from Frank today.  Apparently he recorded two sessions with Coach Ford yesterday and aired the first.  Tonight, per Frank, will be the second.  Coach says something to the effect that the Billikens may lead the nation is scoring this season.  'We are going to play as fast as I have ever had a team to play.'

I'm in the I'll believe it when i see it category.  I'll be watching tonight to see what Coach actually said.

We always play fast to start the year, and typically play very well as we do. Then, inevitably, when a good team shows that they’re able to play with us a bit, we panic and slow down, usually to our own detriment. And from then on, Ford settles into his 7 or 8 man rotation.  

we have had some players that would’ve thrived in a run and gun style offense (Demarius Jacobs, Strickland immediately come to mind) who were totally wasted when we constantly slowed down into half court sets.   

billiken_roy likes this

10 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

We always play fast to start the year, and typically play very well as we do. Then, inevitably, when a good team shows that they’re able to play with us a bit, we panic and slow down, usually to our own detriment. And from then on, Ford settles into his 7 or 8 man rotation.  

This tells me Ford is doing a good job preparing the team. It is not wise to run-and-gun against more talented teams. I am not sure why so many fail to realize this fact.

<<Roy I have never played Russian roulette, the fact that I am here at my age proves it>>  

really? if that 118 old nun played RR when she was 17, as she had some bad habits, found da lord changed habits & lived @ least 101 years.

The only thing u still being here proves is that u have never lost a game. :):)

41 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

There was too much blood sweat and tears invested by Team Blue to let Yuri go without a fight.  We still don't know what deal was struck to keep him here.  We may never know. 

What I do know is bidding on your stars to keep them is not a sustainable model for building a program at our level.  It's hard enough to sign players who can compete against P5 talent in the first place.

billiken_roy and bauman like this

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There was too much blood sweat and tears invested by Team Blue to let Yuri go without a fight.  We still don't know what deal was struck to keep him here.  We may never know. 

What I do know is bidding on your stars to keep them is not a sustainable model for building a program at our level.  It's hard enough to sign players who can compete against P5 talent in the first place.

these next 2 years may be our last sniff @ really dancing :(

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

taking advantage of the rules is one thing.  showing disrespect to the fans, the school, your teamates, and the coaches the way he handled such is another.  no excuse for that.  

13 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Hyperbole much ?

Then how do you see it after the next 2 seasons?  All the players who have been responsible for our success the past few years will be gone.  Yuri, Perk, Jimmer TH Jr, FT Jr and FO.  The talent in the remains of last year's FR and the incoming class is not top of the A 10 level.  Hopefully TF is able to ink a few top 150 level players with our open scholarships this and next year, but as good of players as our incoming FR will be, we are a long way from fielding a top 50 program. 

Obviously none of us know who TF will be able to get to SLU in the next 2-4 classes, but with NIL and big money programs throwing around money like it was free, I don't see us getting anymore Goodwin's or French's.  Any under the radar signees, such as Perkins and Collins, will move on to a big NIL school as soon as they show what they can do at a mid-major like SLU.  Get in the Big East?  Ain't going to happen!

As Rammer said on Frank's show in the last 3-5 days, It is now all about the money.  Future prospects aren't going to worry about the quality of lockers or educational assistance.  What they will care about is NIL money.  That's the deal, period.  If you can't play in that sandbox then find one you can play in.

17 minutes ago, bauman said:

Then how do you see it after the next 2 seasons?  All the players who have been responsible for our success the past few years will be gone.  Yuri, Perk, Jimmer TH Jr, FT Jr and FO.  The talent in the remains of last year's FR and the incoming class is not top of the A 10 level.  Hopefully TF is able to ink a few top 150 level players with our open scholarships this and next year, but as good of players as our incoming FR will be, we are a long way from fielding a top 50 program. 

Obviously none of us know who TF will be able to get to SLU in the next 2-4 classes, but with NIL and big money programs throwing around money like it was free, I don't see us getting anymore Goodwin's or French's.  Any under the radar signees, such as Perkins and Collins, will move on to a big NIL school as soon as they show what they can do at a mid-major like SLU.  Get in the Big East?  Ain't going to happen!

As Rammer said on Frank's show in the last 3-5 days, It is now all about the money.  Future prospects aren't going to worry about the quality of lockers or educational assistance.  What they will care about is NIL money.  That's the deal, period.  If you can't play in that sandbox then find one you can play in.

thanks,  I was just reacting to others pointing out the obvious that this is not good for our program. notBrightonmuch wasn't worth all that typing but thnx again