Yuri

Schasz

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

That is because we haven't had bonus year players in the tournament before.

Sure we have.  Guys who sat out a year due to injuries but graduated.  

Check out the rosters.  Nobody on those is coming back to school.

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Kim and Frank were at George Mason for the SLU baseball game.  Dom Cusamano plays on the baseball team for SLU.

ahhh was wondering why frank would go all the way for that. 

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ok, so let's say a big time booster who's past contribution might consist of paying the expenses of say 3 road trips a year.   since i rarely pay airfare, hotel, meals and bus expense of an away game for 13 players and another 13-20 others (coaches, managers, accompanying administration) on a roadtrip game i dont know the cost.   let's say it's $30,000.   so to keep the yuri's of a team you need to find 6 or 7 of these guys just to keep 1 yuri.   plus now you are out the expense of that road trip which previously got paid by that one booster.    the expenses to cover this NIL is prohibitive for a program of our magnitude. 

remember most of these p5 schools are not private schools.   they are public universities with gigantic budget opportunities coupled with much larger alumni bases to draw on for the needed "donations".   you guys are dreaming to think we can compete in this field.  especially in the long run.   

Roy, We haven't been on the same page a lot lately but we most certainly are here. The guys who keep saying we can compete and constantly criticize the AD are nuts. Are we behind where we should have or could have been? maybe, possibly even probably. However, just looking and saying could we have kept Yuri, is just a band aid on 5 inch hole in the head. To compete on a year in, year out basis with the p6 schools we will have to out bid them over and over again. 

3star_recruit likes this

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

Just tweets from the likes of Jack Godar and Tyler Coleman saying that the Billikens should go after him. It just got me excited since Coleman was seemingly in with Ramey in HS, but yeah, seems unlikely. 

i dont know tyler coleman and jack godar.   as a billiken crazy fan should i?

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont know tyler coleman and jack godar.   as a billiken crazy fan should i?

probably just Godar.. He's a big billiken fan that writes for a10talk. He's really the only one that champions our program on that site and does a good job. Tyler Coleman... naw, don't need to know him.

20 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Roy, We haven't been on the same page a lot lately but we most certainly are here. The guys who keep saying we can compete and constantly criticize the AD are nuts. Are we behind where we should have or could have been? maybe, possibly even probably. However, just looking and saying could we have kept Yuri, is just a band aid on 5 inch hole in the head. To compete on a year in, year out basis with the p6 schools we will have to out bid them over and over again. 

SLU is only upper third in it's own conference right now.  So no we're not going to compete against powerhouses and we haven't since the 50s anyway.

We need to compete vs like schools.  Competing against like schools with good facilities,  recruiting base, and coaching should equal a NCAA run at least once every decade or so.  Is that too much  to ask?

This NIL+Transfer is a shock to the system.  The system will recalibrate to Big Schools still having power and the rest of us taking our best shot from time to time.  I want SLU to be the best of what we can be, better than the bottom P5 schools, and better than most non-P5.  There's only so many Big $ programs they have always been Big $ programs.  You have to succeed in the operational environment by recognizing your program strengths, weaknesses and opportunities. 

JMM28, Old guy and Bizziken like this

Just now, TheA_Bomb said:

SLU is only upper third in it's own conference right now.  So no we're not going to compete against powerhouses and we haven't since the 50s anyway.

We need to compete vs like schools.  Competing against like schools with good facilities,  recruiting base, and coaching should equal a NCAA run at least once every decade or so.  Is that too much  to ask?

This NIL+Transfer is a shock to the system.  The system will recalibrate to Big Schools still having power and the rest of us taking our best shot from time to time.  I want SLU to be the best of what we can be, better than the bottom P5 schools, and better than most non-P5.  There's only so many Big $ programs they have always been Big $ programs.  You have to succeed in the operational environment by recognizing your program strengths, weaknesses and opportunities. 

the problem is that it will take a few years to settle out.   meanwhile the swings in the power order could be severe.  programs set up one way may be totally out of funk with the need to succeed with what the hell is going on now.  by the time things do indeed settle out we might be the in the bottom third of the conference.   who knows?   personally i would prefer the ncaa show some balls and try to get a hold of what is going on.   but we all know the blue bloods control the ncaa and they know this current state favors their corrupt selves and they have a chance to strike gold plus change the face of college sports forever and make sure they are in the thick of things when it all settles out. 

all i know is imo, we do not have the juice to compete in a money game.   this is not a good development.  and i fear the outcome.  

22 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I understand. I thought we were trying to be better than a team that occasionally made an NCAA run. I like the Memphis Redbirds and heck they've won the AAA Championship. So there is that

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Kim English told Frank C on Friday that Yuri was going to Tennessee. He was at GM for the SLU baseball game. 

Late last week Yuri told Ford ‘We’re good.’

Yuri told the staff about his decision via text. 

He told the staff by text? 
what a weasel. 
If he isn’t mature enough to man up and tell Ford to his face he isn’t mature enough to have 200 grand in his bank account.

I wonder if he used emoji’s?

❤️ ya coach but ☮️ out! 💵 💵 bill y’all!!” 

17 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Thats the spirit! 

Like anything, there will be winners and losers. P5 schools aren't guaranteed to be winners. There are going to be plenty of examples of Yuri Collins types going to a P5 school and sharting the bed, getting benched, etc. There will be coaches at the P5 level that only recruit the portal and will get burned by it. There will be coaches at the low major level that will thrive because of the transfer rules.

SLU needs to adapt to the new rules of the game. Guys will be transferring out of every school in the country. The days of bringing in a freshman to redshirt are pretty much over and have already been over. You're recruiting an entire roster on a year to year basis. Build a winner with a good culture and you'll get the guys to stick around. 

brianstl likes this

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

He told the staff by text? 
what a weasel. 
If he isn’t mature enough to man up and tell Ford to his face he isn’t mature enough to have 200 grand in his bank account.

I wonder if he used emoji’s?

❤️ ya coach but ☮️ out! 💵 💵 bill y’all!!” 

That is what Frank said.  His pods are usually up 1/2 day after on the air.  Look for it late tonight....first segment, 5 for 5 or something like that.

Again I will say. Yuri Collins isn't getting $200,000 to play at Tennessee for a year. He might have some sort of 'if this then that' type setup over multiple years, but they aren't paying Yuri freaking Collins 200,000 to come there and turnover the ball for a single year.

I saw a contract signed recently by a high level guy at a much higher level than Yuri and Tennessee. He got 180k from the school collective and a 2 year lease on a luxury car, so roughly about 195k. That was one of the biggest deals out there. 

The athletes making the big dollars are those that are borderline 1st round picks and/or have a huge social media following. The Paige Buckers/Livvy Dunne/Fresno Twins attractive females of the world have a huge social media following that is worth it for national brands to buy into. 

Yuri Collins isn't getting $200,000 to play at Tennessee. 

18 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Thats the spirit! 

Like anything, there will be winners and losers. P5 schools aren't guaranteed to be winners. There are going to be plenty of examples of Yuri Collins types going to a P5 school and sharting the bed, getting benched, etc. There will be coaches at the P5 level that only recruit the portal and will get burned by it. There will be coaches at the low major level that will thrive because of the transfer rules.

SLU needs to adapt to the new rules of the game. Guys will be transferring out of every school in the country. The days of bringing in a freshman to redshirt are pretty much over and have already been over. You're recruiting an entire roster on a year to year basis. Build a winner with a good culture and you'll get the guys to stick around. 

🎯

I liked Yuri as a player he did rebound, created a hell of alot of assists and played hard for alot of minutes.  I covered his Assist/TO ratio in earlier post but here are some more Yuri stats:

Yuri shot 1.7 three pointers per game on average

Yuri ranked 34th in scoring in the A10

Games with foul trouble:

5 fouls - 4 games

4 fouls - 4 games

3 fouls - 11 games

We know he has a lot of assists, but is the 34th leading scorer in the A10 who is prone to foul trouble and turnovers worth $200,000?   I also know that number is probably fake but it does make my question better.