Yuri

Schasz

32 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Anyone who thinks private schools with less than half the enrolment of large state schools can compete with them are fooling themselves. 

Sure thing, we’ll see how Gonzaga and the Big East schools handle it.  If the school is serious about it, it can happen.

NIL has absolutely nothing to do with enrollment and public/private status.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Having a war chest of 25 million doesn’t mean they’re spending 25 million annually. Also 75% of that will be targeted towards football. I’m not sure what else is big at TN from the baseball/softball/vb areas but sure they’ll get a small percentage too. 

If SLU could have a couple million in reserve for this, they’d be above 95% of schools in the country from a basketball standpoint. 

I agree most of it will be spent on football.  Don’t be surprised is the $25MM isn’t an annual number.  Texas A&M just spent $30MM on a single FB recruiting class.

20 minutes ago, TRN said:

Sure thing, we’ll see how Gonzaga and the Big East schools handle it.  If the school is serious about it, it can happen.

NIL has absolutely nothing to do with enrollment and public/private status.  

Sure it does. The larger the enrollment the larger the base to solicit. How big is Tennessee's alumni base as compared to SLU's? It's not even close.  

Thanks for all the reactions to the Yuri departure. Key takeaway from the discussion is that college is now more like the pros: Every year you need to wait and see who will be on the roster. Some will leave, some will stay. Essentially all players are on one-year deal until their first transfer. It will still be good, just different.

Player satisfaction becomes more important if coach wants to keep that player. Coaches who use deeper rotations like the St. Peters coach (now at Seton Hall), who get everyone involved and developing with in-game experience with 10-deep rotation, might be able to retain more. All players want to win, showcase their talent, develop their skills.

Billikens of 2022-23 can still be NCAA tournament caliber, depending on who point guards will be. Ford should sign two rotation guards who can play the point, not one.

Yuri has been great player but not perfect. Too many turnovers, and his dominance as playmaker may have kept others from developing in some ways and the team from playing cohesively without him on the floor (see Northern Iowa game). Billikens last year were very good but never quite found consistent balance as team.

25 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Sure it does. The larger the enrollment the larger the base to solicit. How big is Tennessee's alumni base as compared to SLU's? It's not even close.  

There has always been an imbalance with recruiting. NIL may cause a shift in who is at the top of the food chain, but schools like SLU can do enough to maintain or improve their status in the overall landscape.

TRN likes this

I think YC was in the right spot for him.  He would drive into the trees in the A10 and against undersized teams he could score, against the SEC that part of his game will be ineffective and he doesn't shoot well enough so guys will be able to sag off him and disrupt his passing lanes.  5'10, 168(ish) lbs, meh shooting isn't going to translate.  He'll be alright because Rick Barnes teams are hard-nosed and pretty sound but he won't be all conference, not even close.  But money talks and Yuri walked.

3 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think YC was in the right spot for him.  He would drive into the trees in the A10 and against undersized teams he could score, against the SEC that part of his game will be ineffective and he doesn't shoot well enough so guys will be able to sag off him and disrupt his passing lanes.  5'10, 168(ish) lbs, meh shooting isn't going to translate.  He'll be alright because Rick Barnes teams are hard-nosed and pretty sound but he won't be all conference, not even close.  But money talks and Yuri walked.

My guess, his stat line will look like 7.2 ppg, 5.9 assists, 3.1 rebounds

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

In fairness, in Yuri's one game against an SEC team last season, he was two assists shy of a triple-double against Auburn.

That being said, I think the "advice" he got on this move was terrible. I don't wish bad things of him, but on the floor I certainly hope it doesn't go well. I would rather it serve as a cautionary tale the next time a key SLU player thinks the grass is greener somewhere else ... the problem we're going to continue face is that greener pastures in today's environment means cash. But strictly on the court, it seems to me he is walking away from an ideal situation - a place where he had a huge role surrounded by a number of experienced scorers, well positioned to get in the Dance and maybe make some noise. Oh well...

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

There has always been an imbalance with recruiting. NIL may cause a shift in who is at the top of the food chain, but schools like SLU can do enough to maintain or improve their status in the overall landscape.

Agree that there is and still will be an imbalance. That will never change. But I think what has changed is the idea that a school like SLU could recruit 1 or two very good classes in a row, watch them develop as freshman and maybe sophomores and then be ready to have great seasons their junior and senior years. Think Clagget/Highmark or Evans/Loe/McCall/Jett.

Those days are gone. Those teams would have been picked apart in the new world. Just hoping this team doesn't get further picked apart at this point...

JMM28 likes this

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

All it takes is one Boone Pickens type mega donor, or a group of passionate large donors, to balance the field.  

SLU is heading in the right direction if they proceed with this collective.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

In fairness, in Yuri's one game against an SEC team last season, he was two assists shy of a triple-double against Auburn.

But lets remember, what is the size of Auburns PG... It didn't seem to be about the competition for yuri, but the size. 

Yurimania was also a tough defender who wasn’t afraid to take a hit. In the SEC those hits will be coming from bigger guys. Injury risk goes up.  I hope not for his sake, and I don’t wish injuries on anyone, but the A10 doesn’t have the big guys compared to the SEC. 

Just now, TRN said:

All it takes is one Boone Pickens type mega donor, or a group of passionate large donors, to balance the field.  

damn paywall 

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Agree that there is and still will be an imbalance. That will never change. But I think what has changed is the idea that a school like SLU could recruit 1 or two very good classes in a row, watch them develop as freshman and maybe sophomores and then be ready to have great seasons their junior and senior years. Think Clagget/Highmark or Evans/Loe/McCall/Jett.

Those days are gone. Those teams would have been picked apart in the new world. Just hoping this team doesn't get further picked apart at this point...

Good post the advantage has always been with the P5 schools. What’s changed is the elimination of the one year sit rule. Kids are impatient and at 19 a year seems like 10. 

4 minutes ago, TRN said:

Or one of us hits the PB on Saturday. I’d be down for $2mil. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yurimania was also a tough defender who wasn’t afraid to take a hit. In the SEC those hits will be coming from bigger guys. Injury risk goes up.  I hope not for his sake, and I don’t wish injuries on anyone, but the A10 doesn’t have the big guys compared to the SEC. 

he did take some hellacious charges!

slufanskip likes this

16 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Good post but saying those days are gone seems like an overreaction based on a sample size of one SLU player. Don’t forget we’re benefitting from the new transfer rule with Pickett.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The article was written by Dave Matter and was totally about Mizzou.  I think Stu simply added a comment about a conversation he had.  Nothing about it in the article.

Correct, that’s why I included the tweet to show some donors are thinking big picture.

4 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Anyone who thinks private schools with less than half the enrolment of large state schools can compete with them are fooling themselves. 

Private schools with half the enrollment, but no football program NILs can compete.  90% of that money at a place like Tennessee is going to go to football where donors are desperate for a return to the glory days.

Schasz, TRN, JMM28 and 1 other like this

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Private schools with half the enrollment, but no football program NILs can compete.  90% of that money at a place like Tennessee is going to go to football where donors are desperate for a return to the glory days.

Exactly.  $25MM at a Tennessee would be a fraction for SLU without FB.

if SLU is serious about wanting to be in the Big East, they need to act like they want to be.  Work to get a collective created and stay up with other schools.