Yuri

Schasz

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

A PG equal to or better than Jones (who was solid to be fair), Jimerson, Perkins, Thatch, Okoro, Parker, Hargrove, and 2 depth pieces is still a sweet 16 level team. Convince me I'm wrong

Must be better than Jones… but I won’t say a ton better, but better. And there’s dozens out there that are.

this should be an easy sell for SLU. 

46 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Ultimately, this has to be about the money.

It should not be what some NBA evaluator says about some need to "prove it" in the Power 5 because there are multiple cases to refute that, current cases in point being Ja Morant and Damian Lillard.  A SLU player can make the NBA, Anthony Bonner being a prime example, and Bonner played for SLU in the MCC, which was not as strong overall then as the A10 is now.  Bonner was a first round draft choice in the NBA, #23 overall.

All three players you mentioned were NBA caliber players playing in a smaller conference.  Telling a player of Yuri's status that scouts would like to see you against higher level talent isn't that far fetched.  

10 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

A PG equal to or better than Jones (who was solid to be fair), Jimerson, Perkins, Thatch, Okoro, Parker, Hargrove, and 2 depth pieces is still a sweet 16 level team. Convince me I'm wrong

Also this video scared the shite out of me when it dropped 

Just now, Coach314 said:

All three players you mentioned were NBA caliber players playing in a smaller conference.  Telling a player of Yuri's status that scouts would like to see you against higher level talent isn't that far fetched.  

Those guys also have physical attributes that Yuri doesn't have. And naming 4 or 5 exceptions to the rule isn't exactly a selling point for staying in a smaller conference. If Yuri's goal is the NBA, going to a bigger conference is probably the right play. It isn't always the right play, but more times than not it is. But I do think he could have gotten there by staying at SLU. I really do. 

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Must be better than Jones… but I won’t say a ton better, but better. And there’s dozens out there that are.

this should be an easy sell for SLU. 

Go get Devin Askew and we should be good. Got the minutes and the roster to sell, especially since he should be looking to move down a level

47 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

All three players made the NBA. Two are currently starring in the NBA.

How about Steph Curry? I live in the same census designated place where Steph Curry used to live (or Steph might have technically been across the street in the neighboring city) before the Golden State Warriors moved from Oakland back across the Bay to San Francisco.  Steph Curry played for Davidson College, then in the Southern Conference, and Davidson is now in the Atlantic 10, the same conference as SLU, and still has the same coach, Bob McKillop, who coached Steph Curry.  Steph Curry is the prototypical NBA point guard, who literally revolutionized the game.  He reached the NBA from Davidson College, not from the Power 5 and not from an SEC football school.

Any claim that a player cannot reach the NBA from a school outside the Power 5 is simply without merit.  If a player is good enough, the NBA will know about said player, and the NBA will find him.

Plus, SLU played LSU two seasons ago and played Auburn last season, is expected to play at Auburn this coming season. Both are in the SEC, strong competition.  

rgbilliken likes this

55 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Choice of music definitely felt intentional to me. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Also this video scared the shite out of me when it dropped 

No kidding. 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Let’s not forget our Mizzery transfer. 

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

I mean if we’re being genuine here and we all know what we’re talking about, Lillard wasn’t an NBA guy when he got to Weber State. He built himself up to that at that level. He didn’t transfer up. He got better at that level and was a lottery pick because if you can play, they find you

edit - when are we/local hoops Twitter going to stop pretending this is about anything but money? This was going to be a top 20 team. Top 20 teams play big games against good teams. The non-con is full of HM opponents. Then (obviously) the tournament. The biggest stage of all. I’ll support my man Yuri until (god forbid) he chooses to go to a different team, but to pretend that this is about anything other than going and getting six figures is naive. Or people are lying to themselves to diminish this level of basketball. It’s lazy and insulting

Bills By 40 and JMM28 like this

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Huh? I ain’t buying this higher level competition crap. In the OOC he gets shots against the bigs. And if he’s NBA material he’s good enough to lead his high mid major team to the dance. Larry Bird came from a mid but led them to a Final 2 game. It’s what the scouts see in YOUR game not who you’re playing. The NBA had had plenty of mid major players who have made it playing against lesser competition. And  today from top to bottom the competition is better than ever before. I am not buying that scout thing about show us against a higher level. Total BS.