Yuri

Schasz

Maybe I'm spinzoning my own thoughts right now, but I'm no longer convinced Yuri is 100% gone. Has he actually entered the portal? I've seen rumblings on twitter that he hasn't actually put his name in yet. BenFred saying SLU would prob try to make up an NIL package to keep him in his chat yesterday. BF is someone who would be very connected on both sides, as his last gig was as a Tenn beat writer. Plus TheOne saying it wasn't over yet...

Am I crazy? 100%. But lets cook

A10Ref and SLUMedBilliken15 like this

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Maybe I'm spinzoning my own thoughts right now, but I'm no longer convinced Yuri is 100% gone. Has he actually entered the portal? I've seen rumblings on twitter that he hasn't actually put his name in yet. BenFred saying SLU would prob try to make up an NIL package to keep him in his chat yesterday. BF is someone who would be very connected on both sides, as his last gig was as a Tenn beat writer. Plus TheOne saying it wasn't over yet...

Am I crazy? 100%. But lets cook

Hes in the portal

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I think it’s foolish to say Bills fans shouldn’t be upset. Yuri was a big part of a potential Top 25 team. He flew the plane and now he’s bailed out with a golden parachute. It would go against human nature to wish him and Rick Barnes much success. Or to feel great that he did what was best for him while deserting a devoted fan base that always wanted nothing but the best for him.  

Sports is an emotional endeavor as well as a financial one. But until recently the financial aspect dominated only the professional games. Now it’s hit the college level like a nuclear bomb. It was always there but it was hidden from public view. It was sneaky and illegal. Now it’s wide open and legal. Gonna take awhile to get used to these new paradigms. 
All that said, it is wrong of us to trash Yuri for his days as a Billiken, because we loved him. But neither should we be expected to praise him or cheer him on for dumping us like his pretty girlfriend for the glitzy homecoming Queen whose dad is a billionaire. 

Yes, it’s a lot of money. And yes, his new playground may prepare him better, though I really don’t see how. But while I don’t wish him any ill will, neither can I pat him on the back and say best wishes. He dropped us and, quite possibly, destroyed the dreams of a very loyal and devoted fan base. 

They may not be the majority of the players but there will always be players that want the education and the school and not a salary. I think a lot of this could be solved by offering players who do not want college degrees and want a future in professional sports the opportunity to go straight into the sports arena. Perhaps by having a minor league system of training like in baseball.

What I have described in prior posts basically said that Yuri is doing what is best for Yuri. There is no emotional attachment on his part, nor does there have to be, to his SLU fan base. And yes, I think  this may indeed be the best path for Yuri.

So, how can a lower level and smaller budget school can deal with NILs? As far as I am concerned, any kid that comes in and intends to  play the professional money game, should provide a refund out of their professional income (as long as his NIL income goes over a specified threshold) for the training received while at SLU. Players should be given scholarships only if they desire to pursue a full academic path, and not a professional path, professional path players should pay for a certain portion of their education determined by their NIL income.

I fully agree that the evolution of the NIL is a nuclear bomb to college sports. Just give it time and there will be lawsuits claiming equal level of NILs for all college sports, you do not need a crystal ball to see this clearly. NILs may work fine for large schools with large football and basketball budgets, but not for the smaller schools with tighter budgets and smaller alumni bodies.

To end this post, there should be no doubt that you are a much more generous and forgiving person than I am.

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Hes in the portal

To see the real NCAA portal, you have to log in with an email and password. I think that is obtained through each school's athletic admin department.  Coaches access the portal to make contact with players.

But Collins is on the Verbal Commits Transfer List and the 247 Sports Transfer list.  All indications are yes.

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Is there an official Transfer Portal available online?

I know there are various sources that list the portal, but I'm referring to something official.

It's at the NCAA headquarters, it sends players to a land where they are both professional and amateur.

The "Student"-athlete twilight zone.

31 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

When the Texas A&M recruiting class issue came up, they were paying $30M to the players for this year. I thought there was an implication that the school had moved money into separate entities to pay that amount? Is that correct? If so, I can imagine that is what is happening here. It is just hard to imagine that businesses are paying these amounts.

With no inside information at all, the 30MM to the players on a year in year out basis doesn't pass the smell test for me.  That's 3MM to the five starters, 2MM to the five guys in the rotation, and 1MM to the five non-playing time players.   

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

To see the real NCAA portal, you have to log in with an email and password. I think that is obtained through each school's athletic admin department.  Coaches access the portal to make contact with players.

But Collins is on the Verbal Commits Transfer List and the 247 Sports Transfer list.  All indications are yes.

This is true and a good point. But I thought one of our beat guys has access and confirmed it although now I can't find anything like that. It's not over yet but given Frank's comments it's hard to see him staying 

5 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Just read the dicta of that Supreme Court case. Read what Kavanaugh wrote. Stopping payment to players is done. Anyone who wants to jump in front of that truck is getting run over. To be honest, the NCAA should just let schools pay players directly to avoid confusion.

That's all about Title IX. They'd have to pay the ladies as well.

32 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

With no inside information at all, the 30MM to the players on a year in year out basis doesn't pass the smell test for me.  That's 3MM to the five starters, 2MM to the five guys in the rotation, and 1MM to the five non-playing time players.   

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  

I'm pretty sure any discussion of $30mm to Texas A&M players was talking about football. Even then, it seems incredibly large, but for 85 players its more possible.

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Honestly don't think I want him to stay anyway. He made his decision. Rather not beg him to come back but I guess we will....

Let him go. He had his chance to cement his legacy. Find someone to replace him.

I agree completely 

The way I look at this is as a business decision. If you were earning 50k per year working in St. Louis and a different company offered you 200k a year to do the same job for them in Tennessee, how many of us would turn it down out of loyalty to either our current employer or St Louis? I wouldn’t and I suspect neither would most of the other people on this board. Now is the time for the current employer to offer the same to keep their employee in St Louis. Yuri can’t turn this down. It may be the most he will ever earn playing basketball. He is not an NBA player and can’t make that kind of money in the G league. Whether he could make it overseas is up for debate, but he may not want to go overseas. 

rgbilliken likes this

The decision should not be premised upon what some NBA evaluator says about some need to "prove it" in the Power 5 because there are multiple cases to refute that, current cases in point being Ja Morant and Damian Lillard.  A SLU player can make the NBA, Anthony Bonner being a prime example, and Bonner played for SLU in the MCC, which was not as strong overall then as the A10 is now.  Bonner was a first round draft choice in the NBA, #23 overall.