Yuri

Schasz

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think it has gotten out of control and the ncaa doesnt know what to do.   

I think you nailed it here. 
I think the NCAA was expecting a few autograph signings, basketball camps, and the occasional Imo’s commercial. 
They had no idea it was going to turn into million dollar free agency. 

They should have known better but once again they showed how incompetent they are.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I think the NCAA was expecting a few autograph signings, basketball camps, and the occasional Imo’s commercial. 

They should have known better but once again they showed how incompetent they are.

Just read the dicta of that Supreme Court case. Read what Kavanaugh wrote. Stopping payment to players is done. Anyone who wants to jump in front of that truck is getting run over. To be honest, the NCAA should just let schools pay players directly to avoid confusion.

1 hour ago, willie said:

The problem is some state legislatures have made them powerless. 

i disagree.    they would seem to have the leverage of the tourney which is the holy grail of every college D1 team.   taking that away would deflate any team.   i would think since the ncaa owns the rights and control of all things about the tourney they can do whatever they want with their tourney.   and if they want to punish or use the tourney to get agreements they can.  

50 minutes ago, dlarry said:

i dont think it is incompetence.   i think they are afraid of the big boys leaving to start their own organization.  ala the football nonsense (which btw i dont watch).    i say play fire with fire and take away the tourney from them if they dont agree to do it their way.   and their way should lead to equalizing this nonsense for all.   

Adman likes this

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i disagree.    they would seem to have the leverage of the tourney which is the holy grail of every college D1 team.   taking that away would deflate any team.   i would think since the ncaa owns the rights and control of all things about the tourney they can do whatever they want with their tourney.   and if they want to punish or use the tourney to get agreements they can.  

That would lead all P5-6-7 schools to quit the NCAA and start a whole new governing body over their athletic programs. Which is what they want to do anyways. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

That would lead all P5-6-7 schools to quit the NCAA and start a whole new governing body over their athletic programs. Which is what they want to do anyways. 

Ultimately you can't stop big money from doing what it wants to do.  That's always the end of the story.  It just took us awhile to get here in college basketball.

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

AND WE OWE HIM NOTHING EITHER, OLD GUY.....and by the way, Henry's response was to another who said we shouldn't be upset about Yuri's actions...it may be the world we live in, but it doesn't mean that we have to accept or agree with it....

Big Bill Fan, indeed none of us owe him anything, and you do not have to agree with anything that happens. Furthermore you do not have to like the way the world is either, however you have to live with it, and expect things like these to happen.

I do not see how anyone cannot be upset about Yuri, but since there is nothing you (plural you) can do about it, you just have to take it. The key is how to take things you do not like. Some people gush about being betrayed, others move on. I am in the second category, and hope you are too.

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

Big Bill Fan, indeed none of us owe him anything, and you do not have to agree with anything that happens. Furthermore you do not have to like the way the world is either, however you have to live with it, and expect things like these to happen.

I do not see how anyone cannot be upset about Yuri, but since there is nothing you (plural you) can do about it, you just have to take it. The key is how to take things you do not like. Some people gush about being betrayed, others move on. I am in the second category, and hope you are too.

so just shut up and take it???? you do remember this is a message board, right???? i doubt that there will be any life changing consequences by voicing one's opinion on an ungrateful, professional athlete..i assume, we will  all do just fine....

5 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

so just shut up and take it???? you do remember this is a message board, right???? i doubt that there will be any life changing consequences by voicing one's opinion on an ungrateful, professional athlete..i assume, we will  all do just fine....

You can voice anything you want to voice, it is your right after all. And yes, we will all do just fine without Yuri.

33 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Exactly.   It's gonna end up there anyway.   

37 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont think it is incompetence.   i think they are afraid of the big boys leaving to start their own organization.  ala the football nonsense (which btw i dont watch).    i say play fire with fire and take away the tourney from them if they dont agree to do it their way.   and their way should lead to equalizing this nonsense for all.   

I think it’s probably a combination of fear and incompetence.

42 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm talking about the NIL.

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

At one time the NIT was a top tournament and the NCAA said a member was not allowed to turn down their bid to play in the nit, thus the nit become a 2nd rate tourney, the ncaa could do something similar again

\

I think it’s foolish to say Bills fans shouldn’t be upset. Yuri was a big part of a potential Top 25 team. He flew the plane and now he’s bailed out with a golden parachute. It would go against human nature to wish him and Rick Barnes much success. Or to feel great that he did what was best for him while deserting a devoted fan base that always wanted nothing but the best for him.  

Sports is an emotional endeavor as well as a financial one. But until recently the financial aspect dominated only the professional games. Now it’s hit the college level like a nuclear bomb. It was always there but it was hidden from public view. It was sneaky and illegal. Now it’s wide open and legal. Gonna take awhile to get used to these new paradigms. 
All that said, it is wrong of us to trash Yuri for his days as a Billiken, because we loved him. But neither should we be expected to praise him or cheer him on for dumping us like his pretty girlfriend for the glitzy homecoming Queen whose dad is a billionaire. 

Yes, it’s a lot of money. And yes, his new playground may prepare him better, though I really don’t see how. But while I don’t wish him any ill will, neither can I pat him on the back and say best wishes. He dropped us and, quite possibly, destroyed the dreams of a very loyal and devoted fan base. 

bauman and slubillikens43 like this

5 hours ago, TheOne said:

Let me put one item to rest once and for all - there was no hidden message or hidden agenda to Yuri sitting out the first round NIT game against UNI. He did truly have a mild injury in the inside of his foot, which he played through in DC but got increasingly painful for him. The staff feared something along the lines of a hairline fracture or minor break that, if he played through, could get worse and have long term implications. They were truly waiting on results/diagnosis.

-which is a problem on its own

-I had an MRI at Metro Imaging earlier this year, after the test they told me my doctor would have the results within an hour, that happened, how can the same not happen for our basketball players?

1 minute ago, Cowboy II said:

-which is a problem on its own

-I had an MRI at Metro Imaging earlier this year, after the test they told me my doctor would have the results within an hour, that happened, how can the same not happen for our basketball players?

i worked for many radiology departments, they read all images asap, most are read within in minutes of completion. no reason yuri's wasnt read sounds like bravo sierra to me

5 hours ago, brianstl said:

Exactly.  There was no direct contact between Yuri and anyone directly involved with Tennessee's program.  Having outside groups dedicated to a specific athletic program handling NIL deals allows the group to make contact with a player's family and associates about NIL opportunities with no fear of tampering because the university isn't directly involved.  Having a group like that is what every program is going to need to be successful going forward.  What SLU announced yesterday is "nice", but it isn't a long term or really even a short term answer to the issue we are facing.  

Brian, I'm curious.  What is your solution?

5 hours ago, willie said:

The problem is some state legislatures have made them powerless. 

Willie, you are absolutely right with regard to NIL.  It is a legal issue that is out of the NCAA's control.  But the related, and compounding issue-immediate eligibility (IE) is under that organization's control.  They just don't want to fix it-afraid of the big boys.  W/O IE, we would probably be seeing less than 10% of the players changing schools-kind of like just a couple years ago.  NIL caused transfers would be very few if "schools" knew that giving $$$ to a player would not help them until after a player sat out for a season.

We keep seeing the amount $200K being thrown around with no known facts.  But let's assume that figure is right.  Do you think TENN would be paying Collins $200K to come and sit out next year? I am pretty sure they would not, so as I see it, it is the IE policy implemented by the NCAA that is the main source of this situation. 

I think you. or someone early in this thread, suggested limiting IE to situations when a Head Coach leaves.  That would certainly much improve this mess.

David King and willie like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Yuri, you had better renegotiate.  Aren't you more than 10% of the player Tshiebwe is?  I'd ask for at least half a million.  Gotta keep up with the rest of your new Conference.

NBA Rookie minimum is 1.6MM.  In a certain situations, you're bidding against the pros, not just other schools.  I have no idea how much of a lock this guy is to make the NBA.  I hope he buys insurance against injury/future earnings (if possible) with the 2MM.

2 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

NBA Rookie minimum is 1.6MM.  In a certain situations, you're bidding against the pros, not just other schools.  I have no idea how much of a lock this guy is to make the NBA.  I hope he buys insurance against injury/future earnings (if possible) with the 2MM.

When the Texas A&M recruiting class issue came up, they were paying $30M to the players for this year. I thought there was an implication that the school had moved money into separate entities to pay that amount? Is that correct? If so, I can imagine that is what is happening here. It is just hard to imagine that businesses are paying these amounts.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I think it’s foolish to say Bills fans shouldn’t be upset. Yuri was a big part of a potential Top 25 team. He flew the plane and now he’s bailed out with a golden parachute. It would go against human nature to wish him and Rick Barnes much success. Or to feel great that he did what was best for him while deserting a devoted fan base that always wanted nothing but the best for him.  

Sports is an emotional endeavor as well as a financial one. But until recently the financial aspect dominated only the professional games. Now it’s hit the college level like a nuclear bomb. It was always there but it was hidden from public view. It was sneaky and illegal. Now it’s wide open and legal. Gonna take awhile to get used to these new paradigms. 
All that said, it is wrong of us to trash Yuri for his days as a Billiken, because we loved him. But neither should we be expected to praise him or cheer him on for dumping us like his pretty girlfriend for the glitzy homecoming Queen whose dad is a billionaire. 

Yes, it’s a lot of money. And yes, his new playground may prepare him better, though I really don’t see how. But while I don’t wish him any ill will, neither can I pat him on the back and say best wishes. He dropped us and, quite possibly, destroyed the dreams of a very loyal and devoted fan base. 

Well said!