Yuri

Schasz

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, BrockL said:

I'm not sure SLU is totally to blame here. As @A10Ref pointed out, there may not be a whole of incentive for our big donors to throw money at NIL. Other than hoping it helps their team win, what's the return on investment for them? And local companies don't seem to be jumping at NIL opportunity, whether it's SLU, Mizzou or elsewhere. 

What is their return for their gifts to SLU athletics? Access and a hope for a winning program. The same exact return as an NIL deal. 

Just now, JMM28 said:

What is their return for their gifts to SLU athletics? Access and a hope for a winning program. The same exact return as an NIL deal. 

Tax benefits... if someone donates, that can be written off from their taxes. For a guy like Rich, donating to a building can save some major coinage going to the government. Also, these folks are smart and care about their money, business, and public image. They won't want to be involved in behind closed doors, potentially future IRS/SEC involved dealings, or fake 501c3s. All of which could come into play down the road for those involved in shoveling 200k at Yuri Collins. I sure hope he has a tax advisor, at the very least.

BrockL likes this

Just now, slu72 said:

So, if JNez thinks his best route to the NBA is as a PG, I know a school that’s suddenly in need of one. Haven’t seen where any school has offered him an NIL deal. Of course, do we want him back? 

It doesn't seem like we want him back... I am all in on these Courtney Ramey tweets now... He would be a net neutral if not positive imo.

5 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

ok, so let's say a big time booster who's past contribution might consist of paying the expenses of say 3 road trips a year.   since i rarely pay airfare, hotel, meals and bus expense of an away game for 13 players and another 13-20 others (coaches, managers, accompanying administration) on a roadtrip game i dont know the cost.   let's say it's $30,000.   so to keep the yuri's of a team you need to find 6 or 7 of these guys just to keep 1 yuri.   plus now you are out the expense of that road trip which previously got paid by that one booster.    the expenses to cover this NIL is prohibitive for a program of our magnitude. 

remember most of these p5 schools are not private schools.   they are public universities with gigantic budget opportunities coupled with much larger alumni bases to draw on for the needed "donations".   you guys are dreaming to think we can compete in this field.  especially in the long run.   

slufanskip and MB73 like this

3 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

It doesn't seem like we want him back... I am all in on these Courtney Ramey tweets now... He would be a net neutral if not positive imo.

Can you be more specific for those that don’t want to subject themselves to the cesspool that is Tweeter? I would say the odds of being crushed by a vending machine are better than Ramey ending up in a Billikens Jersey but I also haven’t been following. 

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Can you be more specific for those that don’t want to subject themselves to the cesspool that is Tweeter? I would say the odds of being crushed by a vending machine are better than Ramey ending up in a Billikens Jersey but I also haven’t been following. 

There's nothing there, and all but a dream. 

In fact, didn't I see something recently that indicated Ramey going pro?  Something about playing in a cash tournament in the northeast this summer. 

I have a question? 

if some stars get paid via NIL will college basketball become a product similar to NBA where there are more and more games and eventually the players coast until the last five minutes of a game?  Will it be a dunking exhibition?  If games are tied will they have a shootout of free throws instead of 5 minutes of added play per overtime? If it goes that way it will become another sport I used to watch before long commercials forestalled any charge to the goal at the end of the game.

2 hours ago, SLU-Geo said:

We will be okay.  Yuri may have issues with Assist/TO ratio against better teams in a P5 conference.  He did feast off the bad teams.

Yuri Assist TO.jpg

I know Babe Ruth as a legendary home run producer, however he also had lots and lots of strike outs.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ok, so let's say a big time booster who's past contribution might consist of paying the expenses of say 3 road trips a year.   since i rarely pay airfare, hotel, meals and bus expense of an away game for 13 players and another 13-20 others (coaches, managers, accompanying administration) on a roadtrip game i dont know the cost.   let's say it's $30,000.   so to keep the yuri's of a team you need to find 6 or 7 of these guys just to keep 1 yuri.   plus now you are out the expense of that road trip which previously got paid by that one booster.    the expenses to cover this NIL is prohibitive for a program of our magnitude. 

remember most of these p5 schools are not private schools.   they are public universities with gigantic budget opportunities coupled with much larger alumni bases to draw on for the needed "donations".   you guys are dreaming to think we can compete in this field.  especially in the long run.   

After living in Ohio for 25 years, I can tell you the OSU fan base includes many many big $$$ folks who will gladly flood OSU athletes with NIL money. Am sure this situation exists at just about every P5 state school. We cannot keep up. 

slufanskip and billiken_roy like this

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Just tweets from the likes of Jack Godar and Tyler Coleman saying that the Billikens should go after him. It just got me excited since Coleman was seemingly in with Ramey in HS, but yeah, seems unlikely. 

Here’s something that I absolutely guarantee about collegiate sports. If it collapsed today and reverted to what it was in our parents’ and grandparents’ generations with zero scholarships and the games being played by STUDENT athletes, 99% of us would still support SLU athletics. WashU was ahead of the curve ages ago.

Portsmouth is only for graduated or soon to be graduated players who are pursuing pro opportunities.  Playing in PIT takes away any eligibility you have left.

This dude Coleman is giving kids advice on how to navigate college athletics?

RUN YURI RUN as far away as you can from these STL grifters.  

Young Charles likes this

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Portsmouth is only for graduated or soon to be graduated players who are pursuing pro opportunities.  Playing in PIT takes away any eligibility you have left.

didn't know that... yes, you're very right. All these dudes that are sadly in Yuri's ear don't have 1) a clue or 2) his interests in mind..

40 minutes ago, slu72 said:

So, if JNez thinks his best route to the NBA is as a PG, I know a school that’s suddenly in need of one. Haven’t seen where any school has offered him an NIL deal. Of course, do we want him back? 

No. Never was a good fit at SLU. That train has left the station.

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Is there anyone at SLU who believes Tyler Coleman has SLU’s best interests at heart? This is the guy that got In Gordon’s ear. We all know how that ended. 

Guys like Tyler or Coach Reed (who posts here) shouldn't have to have SLU's interests at heart.  They don't work for SLU.

They should have the kids interests at heart.  They don't.  Dollar signs are all they see.

16 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I believe Portsmouth only impacts a players eligibility if they accept any of the reimbursement money the tournament offers.

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Kim English told Frank C on Friday that Yuri was going to Tennessee. He was at GM for the SLU baseball game. 

Late last week Yuri told Ford ‘We’re good.’

Yuri told the staff about his decision via text. 

Was this mentioned on Frank's radio show? Really bad look assuming this is true.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I believe Portsmouth only impacts a players eligibility if they accept any of the reimbursement money the tournament offers.

Technically yes.

No one has played at Portsmouth and come back to school.

THe by laws of the tournament and the agreement you sign to play in it all but assures you are going pro.  The organizers don't want the tournament to be a college team tryout.  It is for NBA scouts.  Its an invite only.  If Ramey gave an indication he was going back to school they wouldn't let him play.