Yuri

Schasz

19 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

We might have money but SLU doesn’t have the money big state schools do. 

When UCLA came after Rick Barnes my memory was that Phil Fulmer who was AD at UT at that time ponied up around $5M to keep CRB at Knoxville. Don't think Josh Heupel the football HC has reached that neighborhood yet, but don't remember seeing where he started,

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

I don’t think I’ve actively cheered for a player to fail but this might be the first time.  I want Yuri to be an example of what happens when you leave a good situation at a high mid major and fail at a P5.  Maybe I’m just salty about being scammed for 44 dollars for a Gildan sweatshirt.  

This is a top 10 post of the year

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

15 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I’m pretty good at basic Math. You’re fooling yourself. If SLU was offering Yuri 200k and Tennessee wanted him their offer would be $300 or $400k. It’s a bidding war SLU can’t win. The big time state schools have more money due to football not less. 

SLU if not already, will soon be a farm team for the big boys

Without a salary cap no less.  Wasn’t there just a major sport that almost cancelled their season due to the disparity of wages among players? 

16 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I’m pretty good at basic Math. You’re fooling yourself. If SLU was offering Yuri 200k and Tennessee wanted him their offer would be $300 or $400k. It’s a bidding war SLU can’t win. The big time state schools have more money due to football not less. 

SLU if not already, will soon be a farm team for the big boys

If there is always going to be an excuse, let’s just drop the program to D3 and be done with it.

slufan13 likes this

1 minute ago, Fraz said:

Without a salary cap no less.  Wasn’t there a major sport that almost cancelled their season due to the disparity of wages among players? 

Might be time for a NCAA Players Association?

I still think Ford played a part, really did have a source.

But schools cant pay money. So what, some donor said ill give you 200k for your "unknown" tshirt brand, but wink wink, you gotta come to Tenn?  Are you telling me Dr. Chaifetz couldn't give him 500k for his tshirts?  We have donors too.  How does this work..

2 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Why stop there?  Let’s sign guaranteed contracts, grant no trade clauses, and hire agents!  Whole thing is a mess 

well.. yeah that's my point. It's less of a mess than what we have now.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

A unilateral demotion has already taken place for all mid-majors.  That's what we've been lamenting today.  It's all over but the shouting.

The demotion only happened/happens if the administration allows it to happen.  We could have been Just like UAB in this cycle adding a double digit SEC score and keeping the core, but we aren’t.  UAB hasn’t surrendered and despite what happened surrendering by unilaterally disarming is not the answer.

4 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

The huge upside is only true if the rest of the roster remains intact, and at this point, why would anyone expect it to?  We all saw Hargrove’s retweet.  I think it’s safe to say Ford does not have a great finger on the pulse of how the players are feeling. 

You don’t think Tate doesn’t know how the players feel? And Ford definitely knows how TJ feels about him. Can’t wait for him to enter the portal. 

And to the people that want to buy the staff was shocked and blindsided today, that is only true if they decided to be oblivious to what was happening.  The rumors have been flowing for weeks, Zyree Collins started following Tennessee on Twitter around a month ago and a call to right people at St. Mary’s could have probably given them a heads up.

stmdragons likes this

12 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

As Brian pointed out, we have multiple billionaires with close ties to the program. The money is there if the right people are willing to play ball.

Do the donors that like subsidizing facilities that will benefit the campus for 30-40 years, that will benefit 100s or 1,000s or 10,000s of students and/or visitors, and that they can put their names on, also want to hand checks to a select few undergrads essentially with no strings attached?

HoosierPal and GBL_Bills like this

49 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I still think Ford played a part, really did have a source.

But schools cant pay money. So what, some donor said ill give you 200k for your "unknown" tshirt brand, but wink wink, you gotta come to Tenn?  Are you telling me Dr. Chaifetz couldn't give him 500k for his tshirts?  We have donors too.  How does this work..

So you just went from a “reliable source” saying it was 90% Ford to I still say Ford played a role? Collins gets $400k to play basketball in the states over the next 2 years. It’s money he will never see again, but it was 90% Ford. Wtf

57 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

A unilateral demotion has already taken place for all mid-majors.  That's what we've been lamenting today.  It's all over but the shouting.

Agree.  Stopped following almost all sports.  I rather go cycling.  NCAA basketball is the last sport I still actively follow.  But I've about had it. 

Perhaps the NCAA should have just paid the athletes, same amount across the board for the high revenue sports.  What the NCAA has created is pure craziness  Most of the NIL money is nothing but bribes.  Most of these athletes could not legitimately earn much off their fame. 

47 minutes ago, brianstl said:

And to the people that want to buy the staff was shocked and blindsided today, that is only true if they decided to be oblivious to what was happening.  The rumors have been flowing for weeks, Zyree Collins started following Tennessee on Twitter around a month ago and a call to right people at St. Mary’s could have probably given them a heads up.

I didn’t see anyone say SLU was blindsided. What are you talking about?

There should be no greater sign that something under the surfaces is wrong here than the fact that he has comments turned off everywhere he posted the announcement.

4 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Agree.  Stopped following almost all sports.  I rather go cycling.  NCAA basketball is the last sport I still actively follow.  But I've about had it. 

Perhaps the NCAA should have just paid the athletes, same amount across the board for the high revenue sports.  What the NCAA has created is pure craziness  Most of the NIL money is nothing but bribes.  Most of these athletes could not legitimately earn much off their fame. 

This is where I disagree with many of you. They are quite literally earning this much for their fame and/or ability. It may take some time to know whether the market is efficient, but it will get there.