Yuri

Schasz

1 hour ago, laker119 said:

Was Yuri Collins not a rising star?  

He had a definite ceiling barely six foot point guard who let VCU guards pick his back pocket. In the last three years he improved but he did not play up to Ford’s standards- we have been weak at point because we have athletes who can’t dribble

we did not steal at the level we did in the Majerus days and our ball handling has been defined by players like J N and Jordan Goodwin losing the handle 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Soderball said:

The Majerus years were the pinnacle of what I'll ever watch at SLU. That was the best time. From the 19 points at GW to the final presser with the players and coaches weeping to watching them bring home A10 championships and even Jett talking smack on twitter about SVU.

Players that play for the team and even stick around(think Highmark, Claggett, Jett, etc.) are not going to be that common going forward. The game just is not the same as it used to be, and normally when I hear that said I say "baloney" here I think that's true, because the money has changed. The money is what matters.

I feel like the money has always been there.  It's just become so much easier to take it.  

rgbilliken and JMM28 like this

The more I read about this and consider the timing, the more I think that this decision was driven by his new agent.  Yuri decided to get a draft evaluation.  This allowed him to hire an agent.  I seriously doubt that the NBA evaluation is complete already.  So, this leads me to believe that the new agent was in his head about needing to play for a bigger program.

I'd be curious to see if a reporter can get a few ex-Billikens to comment on a story. To me the story is not Yuri but Ford. He's not a young coach anymore and I wonder if he connects with players in the right way. 

Clearly Goodwin and French responded to his style. I thought Jacobs was a beast and Ford constantly screamed at him and yanked him for little reason. Same with TJ. 

What bothers me is that Nesbitt transferred first. I thought he should have done more on offense than stand in the corner and watch Yuri run a 2-man game. Okay, it's Yuri's team. And then Yuri transfers. Also, Traore seemed like a great find, and had the ability to start by his junior year and maybe make an all-conference team as a senior. Why leave? 

Williams, Strickland, and Lorrentson made sense. 

Maybe Emoni Bates will come here and run point for one year. Lolz. 

6 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I'd be curious to see if a reporter can get a few ex-Billikens to comment on a story. To me the story is not Yuri but Ford. He's not a young coach anymore and I wonder if he connects with players in the right way. 

Clearly Goodwin and French responded to his style. I thought Jacobs was a beast and Ford constantly screamed at him and yanked him for little reason. Same with TJ. 

What bothers me is that Nesbitt transferred first. I thought he should have done more on offense than stand in the corner and watch Yuri run a 2-man game. Okay, it's Yuri's team. And then Yuri transfers. Also, Traore seemed like a great find, and had the ability to start by his junior year and maybe make an all-conference team as a senior. Why leave? 

Did you see what Jacobs did this past year in a lesser conference?  Pretty much nothing.  Jacobs had a load of talent but no killer instinct.  I wish Yuri the best and I liked watching him play.  But I have a feeling at 6’ and a half step slow he’s going to have issues facing big P5 guards every game.  I hope I’m wrong and he strives.  

Crewsorlose and cgeldmacher like this

33 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The more I read about this and consider the timing, the more I think that this decision was driven by his new agent.  Yuri decided to get a draft evaluation.  This allowed him to hire an agent.  I seriously doubt that the NBA evaluation is complete already.  So, this leads me to believe that the new agent was in his head about needing to play for a bigger program.

I doubt if there is a start or a stop on the NBA evaluation. One or three scouts, watching 5 min of tape can draw a conclusion. “You need to show us what you can do against higher comp”. You aren’t going to get a signed and sealed document from the NBA giving you your test scores. I’m guessing he got some feedback and saw he needed to make a change if he thinks he can get to the NBA in 2023. The portal closes on May 1 for transfer with no waiting. And yes, likely knew he could get paid handsomely somewhere else. 

Yuri's turnovers compared to his peers (players that averaged close to him in assists ) were not out bad. He was just below 2/1 at 1.93

2 players at 7 assists or better Yuri 1.93 the other 1.70

6 players at 6.0 or better. Yuri was 3rd. Only 1 better than 2.0 S Wheeler at 2.27, then Grant Sherfield at 1.97, Yuri at 1.93, the others 1.70, 1.68, and 1.63. 

3 others at 5.9  @ 2.73, 2.35. and 2.26

32 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

It is about Ford. He can't coach and Yuri knew the ceiling was reached. And he doesn't connect with players

26 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Looks like Schasz might be owed a few apologies.

Apology for what? Caring about a different team other than SLU more? Relegating them to little brother in his mind?
Even tho SLU with Yuri this year > Tennessee without Yuri

No apologies necessary. He has allegiances and that’s fine, but he came here without context. He’s a TN fan that roots for SLU sometimes in 2022. Doesn’t matter how long he’s been a fan

a fan with two teams doesn’t have one 

36 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I doubt if there is a start or a stop on the NBA evaluation. One or three scouts, watching 5 min of tape can draw a conclusion. “You need to show us what you can do against higher comp”. You aren’t going to get a signed and sealed document from the NBA giving you your test scores. I’m guessing he got some feedback and saw he needed to make a change if he thinks he can get to the NBA in 2023. The portal closes on May 1 for transfer with no waiting. And yes, likely knew he could get paid handsomely somewhere else. 

Maybe you are right.  I just didn't think the NBA evaluation process was sign up for it and you get a few emails a few days latter with comments.  I had the impression it was something more formal than that, but maybe I am wrong.

I don’t think I’ve actively cheered for a player to fail but this might be the first time.  I want Yuri to be an example of what happens when you leave a good situation at a high mid major and fail at a P5.  Maybe I’m just salty about being scammed for 44 dollars for a Gildan sweatshirt.  

CBFan and mrjoelabs like this

33 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I don’t think I’ve actively cheered for a player to fail but this might be the first time.  I want Yuri to be an example of what happens when you leave a good situation at a high mid major and fail at a P5.  Maybe I’m just salty about being scammed for 44 dollars for a Gildan sweatshirt.  

Ya I'm trying not to be so salty about it but the more I think about it the more it pisses me off. I'd say that 200 bucks (I love hoodies) means more coming from my broke self as someone who's followed him and cheered him on since he was in high school compared to the 200k from some millionaires. I'm going to stop posting for a while though. I'm getting toxic lol

And honestly screw some of y'all in the know for not giving us a warning and maybe telling us to wait a few days when people were talking about buying his stuff lol

I’ve never dogged a student athlete because I considered them kids. The landscape of college sports now is changed. Cudos to those who value an education but unfortunately it is all about money. That being said, I have no problem rooting against a player who leaves a team high and dry that has put so much time and effort to support and develop them.  Now that they are getting paid they have to take the heat of being an adult and except the criticism. I will not be rooting for Mr. Collins.

CBFan and Marlow like this

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I hate that all of this NIL crap is even a discussion. Did players deserve a slice of the pie?  Sure. But this has degraded into outright free agency, and there’s no salary cap.  And we’re the River City Rascals trying to keep players when the Yankees come bidding. 

I hope it’s a wake up call.  It’s obvious what we need to do - up our NIL game.  I don’t think it should be an impossible obstacle for the city of St. Louis to compete with Laurence, KS and Knoxville, TN.  Sure their programs have a bigger budget, but the sponsorship opportunities within the actual city are fewer

35 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I'm pretty much with you. I didn't buy anything, but my feeling is if someone aspires to be a professional, they need to act like one. If you're going to act like a sleazy dude selling sh!t out of the back of your trunk, then don't be surprised when you catch some flak.

I simply do not understand why anyone would burn bridges in your hometown.

No problem with him leaving for a better program. Sucks, but that happens. I do have a problem with the merch drop scam.