Yuri

Schasz

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU can pay kids money, in fact schools like should have an advantage in not having to compete with football for NIL money.

I hope you're right, because I think that's what it will take to remain relevant. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, it is time for programs like SLU to reevaluate what they spend for a head coach and recruiting assistants.  You are better off paying a decent X and O's guy much less and having the boosters direct much of the money they used to donate to pay the coach towards NIL money. 

rgbilliken and JMM28 like this

Just now, brianstl said:

Seriously, it is time for programs like SLU to reevaluate what they spend for a head coach and recruiting assistants.  You are better off paying a decent X and O's guy much less and having the boosters direct much of the money they used to donate to pay the coach towards NIL money. 

I will go a step further...Coaches become quite a bit less valuable when money recruits.

Yuri will be a hike to fill no doubt.  But I don’t think it’s a sky is falling hole.  Yuri really struggled against guards bigger and athletic.   He had several rough games to go along with his outstanding games.  If he goes to a P5 conference I think his number are likely to take a big drop.  He played hard here was fun to watch and was an asset for sure.  I wish he was staying.  But I’ll hold judgement until I see who his replacement is.  It might not be a bad thing.

shempie and basebill123 like this

You would think from the reaction here we just lost an All-American. We didn't. We lost a good defensive PG with a propensity to turn the ball over and force us to score with 4 seconds or less on the clock.

We now have the governor removed from the car. I expect the offense to be fine. I don't know who will be the driver but know Perkins will be the engine. Where there is a loss there is also a new opportunity. Let's see what Travis comes up with.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This is very true. Its a similar thought of whether you're a *** man or an ass man. Get the ass and buy the ****. 

If SLU boosters took that money going to Ford and redirected it into NIL opportunities for players, the school would still have a ~million dollar coach, and the recruiting deficiency would be covered somewhat by monetary gain. 

1 minute ago, Matty Light said:

You would think from the reaction here we just lost an All-American. We didn't. We lost a good defensive PG with a propensity to turn the ball over and force us to score with 4 seconds or less on the clock.

We now have the governor removed from the car. I expect the offense to be fine. I don't know who will be the driver but know Perkins will be the engine. Where there is a loss there is also a new opportunity. Let's see what Travis comes up with.

Better find a point guard. 

Just now, JMM28 said:

This is very true. Its a similar thought of whether you're a *** man or an ass man. Get the ass and buy the ****. 

If SLU boosters took that money going to Ford and redirected it into NIL opportunities for players, the school would still have a ~million dollar coach, and the recruiting deficiency would be covered somewhat by monetary gain. 

Like the comparison. 

5 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Completely agree. We need to get a point guard in the transfer portal desperately but I don't think replacing YC will be as difficult as many think.

I don't want to take anything away from YC, he was the best pass that I have ever seen for SLU and was an extremely talented ball handler. With all of that said, YC has some big limitations. His size was a liability and he led the nation in turnovers. He struggled against bigger defenders and was a liability when it came to foul trouble. He had terrible judgement when it came to driving to the basket. 

The team stalled greatly when he was off the court last year but I think that has more to do with us not having a go-to scorer and DJones not having the most time to get adapted to the offense. 

I think if you are able to find a replacement (decent mid major PG), which I trust Travis to do, then this team still has huge upside for 2022/2023.

38 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

I have it on good authority (former coach of Yuri) that 90 percent of this was him being tired of Ford's crap and not buying in anymore. But you guys think hes a good coach...  We just went from being in the top 25 preseason on CBS and ESPN to not winning the A10

What exactly is "Ford's crap".  I keep hearing stuff like that.  What are people talking about when they say this?

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

What irritates me the most is that SLU was most likely the only school that could give a freshman a starting point guard position.  That included offensive finishers to pad his assist stats.

He honed in his game and now he is in the Portal.

I will not miss all of his turnovers and dribble drives into bigs that resulted in turnovers.

I will miss his great assists.

The coaches quit for better money and now the players what a mess D1 basketball is.

The game remains like this until people stop watching. It is what it is. This is reality. Money talks, bull&#%$ walks.

looking at options for transfer PGs and I was wondering if we would take a look at Dylan Penn?
Transfer PG from Bellarmine that Averaged 16.6 points, 5 assists, 4.2 rebounds. Hasn’t been connected to many teams other than a possible return to Bellarmine and a visit to Mizzou.

Eadsbee likes this

5 minutes ago, Eadsbee said:

What exactly is "Ford's crap".  I keep hearing stuff like that.  What are people talking about when they say this?

I guess no other coach dishes out "crap". it will be interesting to see if yuri's next coach is just a sweet old boy and never dishes out the "crap"

21 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

Folks are reacting to the long-term implications of what happened today.  We got demoted to a farm team.

I agree that we're still in decent shape for next year if we can land a starting point guard in the portal.  That assumes no more key transfers. The problem is what happens after this season? 

Losing your best returning player every time there's a call up from the big leagues isn't a sustainable model for winning.

Coach314 likes this

6 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Completely agree. We need to get a point guard in the transfer portal desperately but I don't think replacing YC will be as difficult as many think.

I don't want to take anything away from YC, he was the best pass that I have ever seen for SLU and was an extremely talented ball handler. With all of that said, YC has some big limitations. His size was a liability and he led the nation in turnovers. He struggled against bigger defenders and was a liability when it came to foul trouble. He had terrible judgement when it came to driving to the basket. 

The team stalled greatly when he was off the court last year but I think that has more to do with us not having a go-to scorer and DJones not having the most time to get adapted to the offense. 

I think if you are able to find a replacement (decent mid major PG), which I trust Travis to do, then this team still has huge upside for 2022/2023.

The huge upside is only true if the rest of the roster remains intact, and at this point, why would anyone expect it to?  We all saw Hargrove’s retweet.  I think it’s safe to say Ford does not have a great finger on the pulse of how the players are feeling. 

I don't know if it had anything to do with Yuri's decision but I do think it's fair to wonder what has gone on in the lockerroom in the past 6 months

I think most are being too extreme in both directions. We will not replace Yuri. But getting someone between Yuri and Jones seems doable and seems like that player can still lead a really good team given the surrounding talent.

It is up to Ford to find that player and keep the rest of the roster in tact. No excuses. He has time and I hope he's working through back channels to even convince a player to come to SLU who might not even be in the portal yet. 

The NIL sucks and we'll never compete with the biggest of the bigs but the school can produce enough money to be a factor if they really want to. The donors are there. The market is there. We won't be on the same playing field as Indiana, Wisconsin, or Kansas but I just don't see how we can't play on the same field as Marquette, Butler, or Creighton

Bizziken likes this

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

And he was a leader. This would be like JGood staying for his 5th year and goiing into the portal. We're talking about the nation's leader in assists, that ain't gonna be easy to replace. 

He also led the country in turnovers and had a below average assist/turnover ratio. He’s a below average shooter and his defense is ok. He thrived this year when our offense was lost without Perkins. He made highlight reel play’s, but he wouldn’t be the focal point going forward.  He also had his hands on the ball too much and it bogged us down.  Yes, the timing is horrible (waiting this long to go into the portal is bs), but he’s replaceable. 

50 minutes ago, SShoe said:

This one truly makes me sad.  I don't blame Yuri at all for this.  Many of us would do the same if we were in his shoes.  I just feel like this is sort of the beginning of the end.  College sports is already the ultimate laundry sport (cheer for the jerseys), but in most cases you kind of knew what to expect even if they were only here for a year or two.  Now we have no idea when or if a player will leave and every year we'll just become more jaded/pessimistic with each surprise departure.   

My guess is that Ford will get a better than adequate replacement at PG.  Hell, he may even get two of them now that he has minutes to offer.  But getting a one- or two-year replacement player doesn't compare to watching players like Jett, Evans, Mitchell, etc. for 4 years.  I'm not sure what the NCAA can do at this point, but the future of college sports for anyone that is not a fan of a Duke or an Alabama looks pretty f'ing bleak. 

The Majerus years were the pinnacle of what I'll ever watch at SLU. That was the best time. From the 19 points at GW to the final presser with the players and coaches weeping to watching them bring home A10 championships and even Jett talking smack on twitter about SVU.

Players that play for the team and even stick around(think Highmark, Claggett, Jett, etc.) are not going to be that common going forward. The game just is not the same as it used to be, and normally when I hear that said I say "baloney" here I think that's true, because the money has changed. The money is what matters.

1 minute ago, Soderball said:

The Majerus years were the pinnacle of what I'll ever watch at SLU. That was the best time. From the 19 points at GW to the final presser with the players and coaches weeping to watching them bring home A10 championships and even Jett talking smack on twitter about SVU.

Players that play for the team and even stick around(think Highmark, Claggett, Jett, etc.) are not going to be that common going forward. The game just is not the same as it used to be, and normally when I hear that said I say "baloney" here I think that's true, because the money has changed. The money is what matters.

This is what upsets me the most, I think. I've been coming to Bills games since I was 5 and my dad has done stats for them since 1985 and he grew up watching with his dad. The Highmarks, Claggets, Jetts, and Bonners seem like a bygone era, but this has only happened in the past year. It just feels odd and sad.

TheBand likes this