Yuri

Schasz

1 minute ago, willie said:

Haven't you changed your tune? Didn't you use to say that say that the power 5 bench players would transfer down. 

I totally support kids being able to transfer without having to sit out.  I never gave an opinion on NIL.  I suspected it would turn out this way, but today I got confirmation.  Where money is involved, folks with deep pockets are always going to turn that to their advantage. 

The whole society has shifted to "show me the money".  It's a cultural issue that's larger than college basketball.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When you look at the big picture, using the mid-majors as a farm system absolutely improves the economic situation of select players.  It's horrible for fans outside of the P5.  Our favorite program has been demoted to a farm team without our consent.

I agree with this take, but it feels like a pretty big 180 from your previous takes that the transfer portal will be as beneficial to mid-majors as it is helpful. I apologize if that wasn't your take in the past but it sure feels like you had a lot of posts along those lines.

This just sucks and there is no way around it. The transfer portal plus NIL is going to kill the interest level for all but the absolute diehards. My fandom is definitely fading as of late...

slufanskip and ACE like this

Just now, laker119 said:

when the best player on your team leaves, I don’t particularly think everything will be fine

And he was a leader. This would be like JGood staying for his 5th year and goiing into the portal. We're talking about the nation's leader in assists, that ain't gonna be easy to replace. 

8 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Right, but Jimerson is a rising star, Hargrove saw his minutes reduced. Also, Hargrove and Yuri seemed against Nesbitt. It is small and highly skeptical on my part, but I see that as part of the problem wit the team this year. Jimerson did not seem like he was a part of that drama, and is just here to be a star.

I know nothing about Jimerson’s future. .

UVA needs shooters. 

1 minute ago, mrjoelabs said:

I have it on good authority (former coach of Yuri) that 90 percent of this was him being tired of Ford's crap and not buying in anymore. But you guys think hes a good coach...  We just went from being in the top 25 preseason on CBS and ESPN to not winning the A10

Lol. You are so full of BS. 

1 minute ago, mrjoelabs said:

I have it on good authority (former coach of Yuri) that 90 percent of this was him being tired of Ford's crap and not buying in anymore. But you guys think hes a good coach...  We just went from being in the top 25 preseason on CBS and ESPN to not winning the A10

lolzzz

19 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When you look at the big picture, using the mid-majors as a farm system absolutely improves the economic situation of select players.  It's horrible for fans outside of the P5.  Our favorite program has been demoted to a farm team without our consent.

I'm naturally pessimistic when it comes to sports, but I actually see some opportunity here. We are definitely behind in the NIL game, no question about it.

But I think the blueprint for mid-majors, especially ones located in large metro areas, isn't all that different from what it is now: Selectively target 3-4 players with solid NIL deals, try to get local guys who starred elsewhere to transfer home for their 4th or 5th year, fill in the roster with downstream transfers that are unhappy with playing time at big schools, and hire an above-average Xs and Os coach.

Talent evaluation is more critical now than it's ever been. I don't think mid majors have that internal infrastructure built-out as much as the bigger programs. That's where we need to place our bets. 

rgbilliken, JMM28 and thunderdan like this

6 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

If this were true, you don't wait three weeks to enter the portal after declaring for the draft. The Vols message board was all over this for weeks. They were in his/his family's ear for a long time.

I used to be a huge sports fan of MLB, NBA, NFL. Free agency came in and killed my ehthusiasm for both the MLB and NBA. I still pull for the Giants but not with as much emotion as before FA. That really left Billiken hoops as my go to sport, ie spend money on trips, streaming TV, special cable TV packages. When this portal deal game out, I remember using Yuri as an example if someone like a UK or KU who was in need of a PG could be prime for the plucking. Well, here we are. The day has arrived. Yesterday, I was thinking he's staying. Now, he's leaving. The portal is slowly eating our next year's team. I can see the day, when college hoops will go the way  professional sports has gone for me; apathy. And that's sad. 

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Lol. You are so full of BS. 

How predictable for troll labs to post bs like this, I never saw that coming from the troll, lol.

Troll labs tell who your source is if you want people to believe you.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. Is Yuri's decision to go into the portal a 100% confirmation he won't be back? Is it possible he's doing it to solicit the highest NLI bidder or to force SLU to match another team's (TN) offer?

11 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I agree with this take, but it feels like a pretty big 180 from your previous takes that the transfer portal will be as beneficial to mid-majors as it is helpful. I apologize if that wasn't your take in the past but it sure feels like you had a lot of posts along those lines.

This just sucks and there is no way around it. The transfer portal plus NIL is going to kill the interest level for all but the absolute diehards. My fandom is definitely fading as of late...

Exactly. I never bought the narrative that some of the recent changes in college bball were good for mid-majors.

11 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I was in the same boat as 3-star in that I thought the Javon Bess, Javon Pickett, Francis Okoro transfers we bring in could outweigh the Yuri Collins transfers we lose. I still think that's possible, but also think that NIL might ultimately be what spells doom for schools like SLU.

If you can transfer to another school and not sit out, and that other school can pay you real money when a school like SLU cannot, there is not much we can do to shift that paradigm back. 

Agreed that it's not good for the health of the sport. I don't think anyone really thinks it's good for the health of the sport. 

1 minute ago, Adman said:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. Is Yuri's decision to go into the portal a 100% confirmation he won't be back? Is it possible he's doing it to solicit the highest NLI bidder or to force SLU to match another team's (TN) offer?

Have to assume that bridge is burnt. Ford indicated as recently as last week that all the starters were expected back if Yuri wasn't selected in the draft. Pretty clear that he didn't keep the coaching staff in the loop here.

1 minute ago, NH said:

I was in the same boat as 3-star in that I thought the Javon Bess, Javon Pickett, Francis Okoro transfers we bring in could outweigh the Yuri Collins transfers we lose. I still think that's possible, but also think that NIL might ultimately be what spells doom for schools like SLU.

If you can transfer to another school and not sit out, and that other school can pay you real money when a school like SLU cannot, there is not much we can do to shift that paradigm back. 

Agreed that it's not good for the health of the sport. I don't think anyone really thinks it's good for the health of the sport. 

SLU can pay kids money, in fact schools like should have an advantage in not having to compete with football for NIL money.

rgbilliken and JMM28 like this

1 minute ago, NH said:

It is if the sport really wants to be a P6 league where they don't have to share any money. If or when that happens mid major or lower fans should just not watch especially the tourney. I can tell you I wouldn't. 

5 minutes ago, CBFan said:

How predictable for troll labs to post bs like this, I never saw that coming from the troll, lol.

Troll labs tell who your source is if you want people to believe you.

A former coach. Not airing names out. If you all want to think its because the corrupt Rick Barnes and company are paying him sure that is part of it. But if he felt he could win here why else would he leave with Perkins coming back. He is sick of Ford.