Yuri

Schasz

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

then why wouldn't he say he's going into nba evaluation and transferring like most kids with that thought say. 

From what I understand this whole thing started because an assistant at Tennessee has a previous relationship going way back with someone in Yuri's circle.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Any apology is not needed. I have been a fan of the Bills long before I even knew my wife who is the VFL. Heck I did not meet her until I was beyond my mid 20's. I thought because my first love was to my SLU Alma Mater it was good to give folks on this website a heads up. Frankly, the reaction after I did startled me. I've been a regular since the days when David Nark ran Billikens.com. Don't recognize many of the current folks from those days. I became a fan when John Bennington was HC back in the 50's probably before some of you were in diapers. I've seen some horrible basketball and some good basketball. I still remember very fondly driving most of the night to get to Wichita, KS with my wife and daughter to see the Bills play MD in the Big Dance. It was their first NCAA bid in what seems like decades. Never was I more proud to be a life long Bills fan that day, and I had tears in my eyes when they played the Anthem. I've seen good HC's really like Spoon and got to know him a bit. No doubt I have huge respect for the job Hall of Famer Rick Majerus did for the Bills in his brief time. Hope we can find someone close to as good as a HC as he was.

It's bitter sweet for me to see Yuri make this decision, but as I stated before it is his decision and only he knows what went into his decision. Thanks Yuri of the great plays you made as a Billiken player. If the Vols played SLU I'd be rooting for SLU; however, I will root for Yuri if he does decide to attend UT. Their athletic facilities at UT that I've seen are 2nd to none. Really think their new AD White has all programs there headed in the right direction. 

Pin on Arrested Development!

rgbilliken and thetorch like this

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So dumb.  Go to Tennessee and play in a wildly overrated conference that struggles to get teams to the Sweet 16 on a regular basis, that’s definitely a “high level”…I guess.  Blows the mind how scouts in all sports overthink things

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

From what I understand this whole thing started because an assistant at Tennessee has a previous relationship going way back with someone in Yuri's circle.  

I know we're in a wild west era, but still, it's amazing that is not considered tampering.

I understand it's a new world, but it's one that as a fan I don't like at all.

10 minutes ago, laker119 said:

Nah man he literally just stole money from diehard fans who love this man.  That’s greedy stuff.  

He didn’t steal sh*t from you 

5 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Any apology is not needed. I have been a fan of the Bills long before I even knew my wife who is the VFL. Heck I did not meet her until I was beyond my mid 20's. I thought because my first love was to my SLU Alma Mater it was good to give folks on this website a heads up. Frankly, the reaction after I did startled me. I've been a regular since the days when David Nark ran Billikens.com. Don't recognize many of the current folks from those days. I became a fan when John Bennington was HC back in the 50's probably before some of you were in diapers. I've seen some horrible basketball and some good basketball. I still remember very fondly driving most of the night to get to Wichita, KS with my wife and daughter to see the Bills play MD in the Big Dance. It was their first NCAA bid in what seems like decades. Never was I more proud to be a life long Bills fan that day, and I had tears in my eyes when they played the Anthem. I've seen good HC's really like Spoon and got to know him a bit. No doubt I have huge respect for the job Hall of Famer Rick Majerus did for the Bills in his brief time. Hope we can find someone close to as good as a HC as he was.

It's bitter sweet for me to see Yuri make this decision, but as I stated before it is his decision and only he knows what went into his decision. Thanks Yuri of the great plays you made as a Billiken player. If the Vols played SLU I'd be rooting for SLU; however, I will root for Yuri if he does decide to attend UT. Their athletic facilities at UT that I've seen are 2nd to none. Really think their new AD White has all programs there headed in the right direction. 

Who tf is apologizing? LOL

CBFan likes this

One factor could be post-season play. Yuri's played with Goodwin, French, Jimerson, Perkins, Okoro, etc... and doesn't have an NCAA to show for it. Next season could be great, but it isn't projecting too differently from the 3 seasons he's already had (one of them admittedly Covid curtailed). Sure, money is increasingly a factor. But part of it could be watching March Madness and thinking "what ELSE do I need to do to play on that stage?"

Sorry, feeling pretty dejected right now. 

Schasz likes this

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

sounds like Yuri was scared of what Thames was bringing in next year. cant blame him.

So what you are saying is we get to watch Thames develop for 2 years just to see him bolt when he is about to become a super star?

FanF***ingTastic 

More than losing Yuri this hurts because I'm afraid its a sign of things to come.

willie and HenryB like this

Just now, dlarry said:

So what you are saying is we get to watch Thames develop for 2 years just to see him bolt when he is about to become a super star?

FanF***ingTastic 

More than losing Yuri this hurts because I'm afraid its a sign of things to come.

The paradigm shifted. At the moment, we are behind in the NIL game. It doesn't have to stay that way. Instead of whining about who gets to access snooze-fest lounges at Chaifetz, we need real conversations about how to setup an NIL infrastructure benefitting SLU. The game has changed. 

Fraz likes this

16 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Absolutely. 

SLU needs a few of their bigger/most committed boosters to put together an NIL collective. This isn't going away. 

Dangerous time for the program IMO.  Any time any of our players experience success, there will be a P6 program with an open check book.  I wanted to believe players being able to make $$ would be a good thing, now I’m torn 

What irritates me the most is that SLU was most likely the only school that could give a freshman a starting point guard position.  That included offensive finishers to pad his assist stats.

He honed in his game and now he is in the Portal.

I will not miss all of his turnovers and dribble drives into bigs that resulted in turnovers.

I will miss his great assists.

The coaches quit for better money and now the players what a mess D1 basketball is.

billiken_roy and Soderball like this

3 minutes ago, someoneelse said:

Yuri must be a heck of an actor.  He can show Javon Pickett around, be enough of a host to get Pickett to come to SLU, all the while knowing he wasn't fully committed to the SLU program.  

Yep this is it for me. Then dropping the merch the day before. I know he doesn't owe us anything but it's a slime move and pretty surprised just judging off the character from what little I've heard from him. Seemed like a down to earth guy but definitely tough to root for em. Ain't too many real ones left I guess....

Lost a fan. If he handled it differently I think it would of been ok. But whatever. Hopefully he ends his career the D1 leader in turnovers! Lol 

Bizziken likes this

18 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Go post on the Loyola message board, not the message board of your second favorite A10 team

Love SLU more than Loyola.  I know it’s hard to process.  You’ll get it someday.

I wish Loyola hadn’t joined the A-10, bc I’m cheering for SLU first but it’ll be fun to watch.

thanks for keeping it classy though as I expected.

Schasz likes this

I cannot blame Yuri or any kids that can now cash in on an NIL deal to the tune of whatever, $30,000?, $50,000? any more than I can blame someone in the workforce for switching employers because they are offered more money.  I will say that if this is the future of college basketball, I may be out.  At least the NBA has a salary cap and draft.  If college basketball turns into the schools with the most donor money now having the best teams and the ability to sign players away from schools like SLU, there maybe no point in continuing to follow this sport.