Yuri

Schasz

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

Gonzaga is an outlier. A freak if u will. All their 20 or so Little engine that could appearances in the NCAA has elevated their status. But they got all those by playing, until this year, in a two team conference, them and Saint Mary. Seriously, if they played in the A10 for the past 20 years do u think they would have made the dance 20 or so years in a row? I don’t. They lucked out. And now their new found fame helps them in landing great recruits and high rankings. They found a niche in the landscape and exploited it. If we had gone to the Horizon or MVC we might have become the Zaga of the Midwest. 

With our resources,building,and local talent pool there is no reason we shouldn’t be the Gonzaga of the Midwest even playing I the A-10.    Unpopular opinion but I’d go to the MVC if it meant we could go to a final 4 like Loyola.  I’m glad we’re in the A-10 vs the MVC but I do wish we had a lot more games we could travel to easier.   

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Then why are we reading the narratives that are being spewed today, to wit:

1. The Mizzou program is better than SLU. That one is comically and patently absurd. But it is based upon SLU allegedly being a “mid-major.” SLU or someone on its behalf just didn’t have to spend $6M to pull the plug and buy out its Coach;

2. Yuri Collins’ professional aspirations are better served at SEC Football Factory (and a below par one at that) Tennessee  than at his hometown, alleged “mid-major” SLU. Read or re-read the excellent post above from wendelprof on this subject. 

Otherwise, I say enough already of these narratives and the utter nonsense contained therein. 

Those narratives are being spewed because of our actual position in the basketball ecosystem.  You can give it a name or you can choose not to give it a name, but our position is our position.  We've been to one tournament in six years.  We rarely beat anybody above us in the food chain.  When that changes, we'll be regarded as a basketball power, no matter what Mizzou fans say.

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Gonzaga wins every year ----- until it gets to the Big Dance.  My theory is while they do play some big national games, these are ome and dones and rare.  Then they cakewalk through the WCC only to bad their mystique which falls apart when they face sterner opposition night after night in that Dance.  They are not built for the long haul as it were.

The Zags did make it to the NCAA Championship Game in ‘21, but lost. In this just completed season Gonzaga drilled UCLA by 20 in Las Vegas. No WCC team came within single digits vs. Gonzaga except for the upset late season loss at St. Mary’s. The Zags went 28-4, 13-1, won its 2 games in its own gerrymandered WCC Tourney, won its first 2 NCAA games, but lost to Arkansas at a favorable Western venue in San Francisco in the Sweet 16. 

There is a school of thought the WCC schedule does not prepare Gonzaga for the height and athleticism it runs into in the NCAA Tourney. But frankly with Gonzaga it’s always something.

I think it’s funny that people are getting butt hurt that their friends post was marked as a “troll post”

The topic at hand…. who knows what’s going to happen but I bet Perkins would be pissed if he was talked into coming back only for his fiend and point guard to transfer. 

HenryB likes this

16 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The Zags did make it to the NCAA Championship Game in ‘21, but lost. In this just completed season Gonzaga drilled UCLA by 20 in Las Vegas. No WCC team came within single digits vs. Gonzaga except for the upset late season loss at St. Mary’s. The Zags went 28-4, 13-1, won its 2 games in its own gerrymandered WCC Tourney, won its first 2 NCAA games, but lost to Arkansas at a favorable Western venue in San Francisco in the Sweet 16. 

There is a school of thought the WCC schedule does not prepare Gonzaga for the height and athleticism it runs into in the NCAA Tourney. But frankly with Gonzaga it’s always something.

Well as a Bills fan I saw the earliest NCAA run the Zags made in the NCAA as I attended the early NCAA rounds in Seattle for that very 1st Tourney in the latter 90's. I would have went bonkers to see the Bills have the run that Jesuit U has had over the years thru 2 different HC's. I was on a cruise ship in a bar watching the hard fought loss they had to NC in the Final Game. I was fairly surprised by the number of people watching the game who were obviously as I was rooting for the Zags to win. 

thatskablamo likes this

23 hours ago, dlarry said:

I think it’s funny that people are getting butt hurt that their friends post was marked as a “troll post”

The topic at hand…. who knows what’s going to happen but I bet Perkins would be pissed if he was talked into coming back only for his fiend and point guard to transfer. 

Interesting 

On 4/9/2022 at 8:51 AM, CBFan said:

You have been a good poster one of my favorites.

In spite of your good credentials on this board and your age I would say you are old enough to know how some posters like myself would look at this thread.

My best posts are the ones I do not post because I will read the post I am about to submit and think about it and delete it.

This thread is one I would’ve have deleted because it stirs up unnecessary concern with posters on this site based on rumors.

You are not a troll but my reaction is bad thread.

Censorship is a dangerous thing, tho. OP has a long line of credibility in his defense, as well as the first amendment. Taking the digital sharpie out to redact isn’t what our country is about. This isn’t an Info Wars type of claim, either. If Schaz is the Deepthroat of the board, I’ll be damned, but he has not led us astray in the past. 

2 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Censorship is a dangerous thing, tho. OP has a long line of credibility in his defense, as well as the first amendment. Taking the digital sharpie out to redact isn’t what our country is about. This isn’t an Info Wars type of claim, either. If Schaz is the Deepthroat of the board, I’ll be damned, but he has not led us astray in the past. 

The First Amendment does not apply to a privately-ran message board, Metz. That is why Steve has been able to censor you over and over throughout the years. I do not blame anyone for being frustrated with OP sharing gossip from another team's message board and then following up with an apparent bias toward Tennessee. 

HenryB, Bilzz, rgbilliken and 1 other like this

On 4/9/2022 at 10:48 PM, dlarry said:

If Yuri were to leave for ANYWHERE then I would fully expect and hope for Perkins to beat his @$$, as would be justified. 

rgbilliken likes this

Ah yes, when all else fails, head to the bully/physicality route.  Beating @$$e$ has traditionally solved everything from cavemen forward.  

I think Perkins would likely be the only Billikens not needing Yuri on the court.  Doesn't Perkins create his own shot?  

Old guy and slufanskip like this

I think it is kind of crazy how offended many on this board get that 1-2 people marked a post as a troll. 

A post that spread an unsubstantiated rumor that our star point guard would be transferring when he isn't even in the transfer portal. I get it that he is just reporting what he read on the other message board. But to me, spreading that rumor is the definition of a troll post. 

HenryB and rgbilliken like this

3 hours ago, thatskablamo said:

Censorship is a dangerous thing, tho. OP has a long line of credibility in his defense, as well as the first amendment…

LOL at “first amendment” as an argument here. 🤡 Trying hard to remember which branch of government controls this board.

22 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

If Yuri were to leave for ANYWHERE then I would fully expect and hope for Perkins to beat his @$$, as would be justified. 

your reaction is silly.   perkins is the reincarnation of george gervin and can get his own shot anytime he has the ball.   he doesnt need yuri, or even bob cousy or magic johnson to be successful.  

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Ah yes, when all else fails, head to the bully/physicality route.  Beating @$$e$ has traditionally solved everything from cavemen forward.  

I think Perkins would likely be the only Billikens not needing Yuri on the court.  Doesn't Perkins create his own shot?  

Just now, billiken_roy said:

your reaction is silly.   perkins is the reincarnation of george gervin and can get his own shot anytime he has the ball.   he doesnt need yuri, or even bob cousy or magic johnson to be successful.  

Dumb, meet dumber. 

28 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'm sorry ... what part of beating @$$ didn't I quite understand?

And I guess you are of the opinion that Perkins CANNOT create his own shot?  

i agree.   by 40 apparently thinks yuri is better than perkins and perkins will be reduced to fill in if yuri left.   

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree.   by 40 apparently thinks yuri is better than perkins and perkins will be reduced to fill in if yuri left.   

Not to speak for him, but I think his point (while made like a caveman) was to say that Yuri makes this team better. Perkins wants this team to be as good as possible. Perk doesn't need Yuri to score, but he needs Yuri for the team to go on a run in March

3star_recruit likes this

16 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Not to speak for him, but I think his point (while made like a caveman) was to say that Yuri makes this team better. Perkins wants this team to be as good as possible. Perk doesn't need Yuri to score, but he needs Yuri for the team to go on a run in March

Context is hard 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

That’s probably true looking at personal stats and development.

For Perkins to reach the goals he has set for the team he needs Yuri.

I’m ok with the original post. We know powers that be, and those that know powers at be, read this board. We need to be on guard, keep the powers that be aware so they are not blindsided, perhaps can do something before it’s too late. 

Equity aids the vigilant. 

I just knocked on wood, and I expect Yuri will back at SLU, running the show, next season. 

On 4/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, Schasz said:

Morant at Murray State is not somebody that happens frequently at a school like Murray State, but remember at SLU we had Larry Hughes...so it does happen every so often at mid majors. I'm also a huge fan of SLU and former season ticket holder for years and spent a lot of coin attending SLU. No where have I EVER said I want Yuri to leave; however, I did say it would be his choice and would understand his reasons if he left. Frankly, I was passing along a rumor from a source that I know to be credible at times. Since I am a fan of UT and also frequently post on their fan website I thought Bills fans might be interested in this rumor. I can say that many Vol fans are interested in replacing Kennedy Chandler their Frosh PG who will be getting drafted in this year's NBA draft, and are interested in Yuri as a replacement possibility. 

Obi Toppin - Dayton

Steph Curry - Davidson

Kawhi Leonard - San Diego State

Pascal Siakam (averaging 23 points per game for the Raptors) - New Mexico State

CJ McCollum (averaging 22 points per game for the Pelicans) - Lehigh

Fred Van Fleet (averaging 20 points per game for the Raptors) - Wichita State

I could go on and on.  It is happening a lot more than every so often.

16 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Obi Toppin - Dayton

Steph Curry - Davidson

Kawhi Leonard - San Diego State

Pascal Siakam (averaging 23 points per game for the Raptors) - New Mexico State

CJ McCollum (averaging 22 points per game for the Pelicans) - Lehigh

Fred Van Fleet (averaging 20 points per game for the Raptors) - Wichita State

I could go on and on.  It is happening a lot more than every so often.

Damian Lillard - Weber St

rgbilliken likes this