Collins to undergo NBA Evaluation Process

This is awesome news. I think the only downside is that it majorly decreases the likelihood that Yuri plays BOTH of his remaining years of eligibility, however I have little to no doubt that he comes back in the fall. 

Professional feedback that says "Shoot more 3s" and the motivation that comes as a result will make him that much better of a player than he already was. Watch his PPG and APG both increase next season and he winds up a first rounder in the '23 draft. 

ARon and A10Ref like this

1 minute ago, Bills By 40 said:

This is awesome news. I think the only downside is that it majorly decreases the likelihood that Yuri plays BOTH of his remaining years of eligibility, however I have little to no doubt that he comes back in the fall. 

Professional feedback that says "Shoot more 3s" and the motivation that comes as a result will make him that much better of a player than he already was. Watch his PPG and APG both increase next season and he winds up a first rounder in the '23 draft. 

I don't know about the first rounder thing but I agree he will be told to shoot more and especially 3s along with lowering his TO rate.

Just now, cheeseman said:

I don't know about the first rounder thing but I agree he will be told to shoot more and especially 3s along with lowering his TO rate.

Lowering his TO rate oughta be a given with JP beside him, but maybe the combo guard we bring in will solve that issue as well. I think if we reach our ceiling this year and Yuri makes the reasonable improvements we expect him to that early 2nd/late 1st isn't out of the question. 

He could be a 12p/10a guy this year...that's 1st round material if he cuts the TOs as far as I'm concerned. And if he leads the nation in assists for a second consecutive year?!

Smart move by Yuri. Even if the advice is likely to be things he already knew (continue improving shooting, cut down on turnovers, lead team to tournament) this is still a good way to get his name/tape in front of NBA scouts and will set him up to get more looks next year. 

55 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Lowering his TO rate oughta be a given with JP beside him, but maybe the combo guard we bring in will solve that issue as well. I think if we reach our ceiling this year and Yuri makes the reasonable improvements we expect him to that early 2nd/late 1st isn't out of the question. 

He could be a 12p/10a guy this year...that's 1st round material if he cuts the TOs as far as I'm concerned. And if he leads the nation in assists for a second consecutive year?!

You make me seem like a Yuri hater lol

No way Yuri gets 10 assists per game next year though.  

skip no worries.  NO ONE would think you are a yuri hater.  Bills by 40 seems to be the only mbm with more love for yuri than you imo.  and it is close between the two of you for that title. 

slufanskip and Bills By 40 like this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

skip no worries.  NO ONE would think you are a yuri hater.  Bills by 40 seems to be the only mbm with more love for yuri than you imo.  and it is close between the two of you for that title. 

Yea, I didn't think I could be beat, but claiming 10 assists per game is giving my Yuri love a beat down. 

Is this the same process that Nesbitt is going thru? I’d be shocked if either player gets a nod to enter the draft at this point. Both need to improve their shot from NBA range. Yurimania at 6’ would have to play like the second coming of Iverson, and I don’t see that at this stage. Not saying he couldn’t get there just not yet. 
Still a good move for him as it’s like getting a free evaluation of where he needs to be. 

48 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I can't remember the last time a player averaged 10 apg in college.

There have only been 6 players in D1 history (since 1985) that have made 10 APG...Morant was the last one to do it in 2019 for Murray State with 10.03. Before that Haggerty at Baylor (10.14) in 1995.  The rest did it in 87 and 88. So it has only happened twice in the last 27 years. The record is Avery Johnson (Southern U )  in 1988 with a whopping 13.3.

I think Yuri's biggest problem is one that an NBA evaluation isn't going to be able to fix.  He isn't tall enough or quick enough to play in the League.  I'm not saying he isn't reasonably quick, or fast, enough for a college player but not for the guards he would face in the NBA.

He is clearly, in my mind, the best PG in recent Billiken history and could probably earn a paycheck in sub-NBA leagues but let's remember that one of the very best Guards, coming out of SLU in the last 20 years, Kevin Lisch, couldn't get a sniff out of a league that is even better today.

I hope this action by Yuri helps him to become even better and it probably will, but it won't add 2-3 inches of height.

6 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

There have only been 6 players in D1 history (since 1985) that have made 10 APG...Morant was the last one to do it in 2019 for Murray State with 10.03. Before that Haggerty at Baylor (10.14) in 1995.  The rest did it in 87 and 88. So it has only happened twice in the last 27 years. The record is Avery Johnson (Southern U )  in 1988 with a whopping 13.3.

Thanks for looking that up.  Didn't realize Morant pulled it off.  That's actually more impressive to me than his scoring exploits.  There's lots  of guys that have averaged 25 ppg.  Averaging 10 assists happens once a decade.

SLU_Lax and slufanskip like this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

You make me seem like a Yuri hater lol

No way Yuri gets 10 assists per game next year though.  

I don't by any means expect it, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

My thought process is this - Javonte in the lineup improves our offense significantly. Jimerson now freed up to do his thang without the #1 defender on him also improves our offense significantly. Okoro developing as much as he has, and with a whole summer to continue doing so, gives Yuri (best entry passer in the country) options on every inch of the court. I don't believe Javonte's ability to create his own shot will detract from Yuri's assist rate, rather cut the late shot clock dribble drive turnovers or poor shot selection - lowering Yuri's turnovers. 

I'm (not so patiently) waiting to see what the transfer portal has in store for us, but assuming we add some key pieces I think our already best league offense improves significantly and those points have to come from somewhere...likely Yuri assists. We're talking about +2APG and, again, I really don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. 

Wishful thinking, sure, but there's an argument to be made.   

29 minutes ago, bauman said:

I think Yuri's biggest problem is one that an NBA evaluation isn't going to be able to fix.  He isn't tall enough or quick enough to play in the League.  I'm not saying he isn't reasonably quick, or fast, enough for a college player but not for the guards he would face in the NBA.

He is clearly, in my mind, the best PG in recent Billiken history and could probably earn a paycheck in sub-NBA leagues but let's remember that one of the very best Guards, coming out of SLU in the last 20 years, Kevin Lisch, couldn't get a sniff out of a league that is even better today.

I hope this action by Yuri helps him to become even better and it probably will, but it won't add 2-3 inches of height.

They aren't going to just tell him he's too short and leave it at that. Not only is this about the NBA, but becoming a better basketball player at his height.

A10Ref, Bills By 40, Zink and 1 other like this

28 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thanks for looking that up.  Didn't realize Morant pulled it off.  That's actually more impressive to me than his scoring exploits.  There's lots  of guys that have averaged 25 ppg.  Averaging 10 assists happens once a decade.

If somebody has to do it once a decade, it might as well be Yuri. 

8 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I don't by any means expect it, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

My thought process is this - Javonte in the lineup improves our offense significantly. Jimerson now freed up to do his thang without the #1 defender on him also improves our offense significantly. Okoro developing as much as he has, and with a whole summer to continue doing so, gives Yuri (best entry passer in the country) options on every inch of the court. I don't believe Javonte's ability to create his own shot will detract from Yuri's assist rate, rather cut the late shot clock dribble drive turnovers or poor shot selection - lowering Yuri's turnovers. 

I'm (not so patiently) waiting to see what the transfer portal has in store for us, but assuming we add some key pieces I think our already best league offense improves significantly and those points have to come from somewhere...likely Yuri assists. We're talking about +2APG and, again, I really don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. 

I agree with this. I also made the case earlier that Perk in the middle of the zone will make shots off of Yuri's entry. Don't know how much zone we will see but could add to the total. 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

I agree with this. I also made the case earlier that Perk in the middle of the zone will make shots off of Yuri's entry. Don't know how much zone we will see but could add to the total. 

I just don't see JP's ability to create his own shot take away from Yuri's superior ability to create it for him any more often than the # of possessions in a game (granted, more than a few) where we have no other option. It will only increase points scored and efficiency in doing so *knocks on wood*

It's not like JP will be taking the ball down the court, or running the offense as the primary ball handler. He'll be option #1 in any number of offensive schemes with Yuri feeding him. GJ as option #2. Franko as option #3?! I like that a whole hell of a lot. 

28 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I'll give you 5-1 odds on $100

46 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I just don't see JP's ability to create his own shot take away from Yuri's superior ability to create it for him any more often than the # of possessions in a game (granted, more than a few) where we have no other option. It will only increase points scored and efficiency in doing so *knocks on wood*

It's not like JP will be taking the ball down the court, or running the offense as the primary ball handler. He'll be option #1 in any number of offensive schemes with Yuri feeding him. GJ as option #2. Franko as option #3?! I like that a whole hell of a lot. 

This is all pretty silly. Yuri's usage will be way down, which means it will be incredibly unlikely for his APG to increase. Plus a lot of Perkins' points will be from semi-isolation sets. 

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, almaman said:

rough count dozen or so 6' & under playing NBA. surprised me.

They'll be another one 6' next year. Kendall Chandler UT PG in a  ESPN mock draft today showed him going to MN at No. 19. 

1 hour ago, almaman said:

rough count dozen or so 6' & under playing NBA. surprised me.

According to HoopsGeek, the 'average' size of an NBA point guard in the 2021/22 season is 6'2.5". The average weight of the PG's is 192 lbs.

It is interesting that the weight and height of all players 2016-22 is stable to slightly down.  I would have guessed bigger and heavier.

Height of ALL players 2016/17 was 6'6.4", 17/18 6'6.4", 18/19 6.6'4", 19/20 6'6.3", 20/21 6'6.2" and 21/22 6'6.2"

Weight of ALL players 2016/17 was 219 lbs, 17/18 218 lbs, 18/19 218 lbs, 19/20 216 lbs, 20/21 216 lbs, and 21/22 214 lbs.