The Wiz's 21-22 Final Report Card

-as always, thanks Wiz

-I calculate our 2pt fg% as 49.8, increasing that 2pp gets us less than one more made basket per game, I think we need more than that

-do you have a grade for our turnover rate or turnovers per game? I think that is another area that needs improvement

33 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-as always, thanks Wiz

-I calculate our 2pt fg% as 49.8, increasing that 2pp gets us less than one more made basket per game, I think we need more than that

-do you have a grade for our turnover rate or turnovers per game? I think that is another area that needs improvement

Just looking at the season stats as a whole and not adding it up on a game by game basis, my best estimate is we had 2449 possessions this year. Of those, 450 ended up in turnovers for a rate of 18.4%. So, we averaged 70 possessions per game and had 12.9 turnovers/game. The Wiz usually projects that if we keep our turnovers at a max of 11, which leaves a turnover rate of 15.7%, then we have a pretty good chance of winning. So, I would grade turnover rate this way:

Less than 15.7% - A

15.8 - 17.1% - B

17.2 - 18.5% - C

18.6 - 19.9% - D

20% and up - F

Using that scale, we grade at a C minus in turnover rate.  A good measuring stick is once you hit 14 turnovers in a regulation game, your grade that day will be an F.

29 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-as always, thanks Wiz

If you take those 35 extra FGs and add them to our losing games (12)  it works out to about 3 extra FGs / gm...3 extra 2pointers would have yielded wins against UAB, Belmont, Auburn, Richmond, Dayton, UMass and St. B.  I think that is a difference maker for our team....Put another way , if we had shot 2s like we did last year  we win all these games I just listed.  It just goes to show you how close we were this year.

As for TOs, I have us listed as C-/D+ on TOs....I think, I am in agreement with @billikenbill even though we are calculating it differently.  I use TO/gm as the measuring stick. We came in this year with a weak 13.1 /game...To get to A-  territory we need to be at 11.1. If the number 11 looks familiar , it means you have been reading my spread threads...especially WWN2D2W...where I usually put the target TOs at 11...it is what winning teams do. Can you win with more than 11 TOs? Yes, but you are making it much harder on yourself.  The bottom line is we had a number of games where we had less than than 11(including a series of 8s).  So again it comes down to consistency.

Good consistency =wins.

billikenbill likes this

• 6 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 10:18 AM, The Wiz said:

If you take those 35 extra FGs and add them to our losing games (12)  it works out to about 3 extra FGs / gm...3 extra 2pointers would have yielded wins against UAB, Belmont, Auburn, Richmond, Dayton, UMass and St. B.  I think that is a difference maker for our team....Put another way , if we had shot 2s like we did last year  we win all these games I just listed.  It just goes to show you how close we were this year.

As for TOs, I have us listed as C-/D+ on TOs....I think, I am in agreement with @billikenbill even though we are calculating it differently.  I use TO/gm as the measuring stick. We came in this year with a weak 13.1 /game...To get to A-  territory we need to be at 11.1. If the number 11 looks familiar , it means you have been reading my spread threads...especially WWN2D2W...where I usually put the target TOs at 11...it is what winning teams do. Can you win with more than 11 TOs? Yes, but you are making it much harder on yourself.  The bottom line is we had a number of games where we had less than than 11(including a series of 8s).  So again it comes down to consistency.

Good consistency =wins.

-looking at our stats on college sports madness and our #27 rank prompted me to look again at The Wiz's report card for last season

-consistency, reduce the TO's and play better defense all with a healthy squad will make us a Bunch of Happy Billikens, especially if we are shooting more 3's and consistently making at the same rate as last season

-see you here in a few weeks, Wiz

The Wiz likes this

Remember, this is a report from the end of last season. The team has changed a lot since that time. I expect the early report for this year will be different than the one at the end of last season. Our chances may be better this year, and I surely hope our preseason report shows an improvement to A- from last year's B+.

10 hours ago, Old guy said:

Remember, this is a report from the end of last season. The team has changed a lot since that time. I expect the early report for this year will be different than the one at the end of last season. Our chances may be better this year, and I surely hope our preseason report shows an improvement to A- from last year's B+.

If ever Earl Austin isn't available...

thetorch likes this