Coach K suggests college bb should follow FBChampioship model

slu72

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Coach K is an out of touch creepy old man who gently caresses players stomachs. Also historically an utter asshat.

We should all feel great that a local kid sent creepy K to retirement.

49 minutes ago, Brighton said:

of course he did.  college football is pretty much a high major P5 conferences thing.   and F the rest.   so imo, what K is saying, " F the schools beneath, big 10, big 12, southeastern, ACC and Pac 10".   let them fend for themselves on a smaller scale.  i say F coach K.   i am glad he is gone. lifelong cheater that got away with everything.

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

of course he did.  college football is pretty much a high major P5 conferences thing.   and F the rest.   so imo, what K is saying, " F the schools beneath, big 10, big 12, southeastern, ACC and Pac 10".   let them fend for themselves on a smaller scale.  i say F coach K.   i am glad he is gone. lifelong cheater that got away with everything.

I would put money on K doing something like going back to West Point for a year and doing something there. I don’t think it’s truly “over…” we’ve seen enough of Jordan, Favre, Clemens, Manning and now Brady wanting the attention, getting the attention, then coming back for one more glorious ride into the sunset.

Roy, gosh darn, you hit the nail on the head here. Rosary beads in his pockets be damned, the guy is a rat and lowered his own and Duke’s own academic standards with Corey Magette and it’s been one thing after another since then. Win at all costs, right? 16 one and done players at Duke since. Slightly under the 25 that Calipari has sent from the hallowed academic halls of Kentucky to the Association, but pretty damn close. 

3 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Don't think too many people will care about Coach K moving on...I know I slept well after his team got beat on Saturday!

Amen to that, brother! I do think Carolina’s run ends tonight, unfortunately. But I’m rooting for Hubert’s charges to take it to Self.

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

Amen to that, brother! I do think Carolina’s run ends tonight, unfortunately. But I’m rooting for Hubert’s charges to take it to Self.

well as much as i detest unc, let's not so quickly forget all the trouble self was/is for his shoe company transgressions.   self is a cheater to the nth degree as well.   the whole shoe thing imo led to the acceptance and start of the nli b.s.   "how can we take the heat off our precious blue bloods?"    we cant lose them.   while buying a pizza for a kid as some low major d1 school probably lands them on probation with loss of a scholarship(s).   it is beyond sickening imo.  my gosh, go back to student athletes actually being students first athletes second.   not minor league nba players.  

47 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

well as much as i detest unc, let's not so quickly forget all the trouble self was/is for his shoe company transgressions.   self is a cheater to the nth degree as well.   the whole shoe thing imo led to the acceptance and start of the nli b.s.   "how can we take the heat off our precious blue bloods?"    we cant lose them.   while buying a pizza for a kid as some low major d1 school probably lands them on probation with loss of a scholarship(s).   it is beyond sickening imo.  my gosh, go back to student athletes actually being students first athletes second.   not minor league nba players.  

That ship has sailed, Roy.

Paying players is going to happen. I honestly think it's better than the pretend model we use now.

I was really hoping the emergence of the G League would force/call/entice all these one-and-doners to head there and leave the college game alone.  Problem is the fact that some borderline one-and-doners need the college game to showcase their skills and impress the League to take them after one year in.  Facing similar competition night in and night out might make doing so in the G League somewhat impossible, or relegate them to their actual talent levels.  

We're kind of lucky at SLU.  We've only ever had Hughes and Nesbitt go this declared pro route.  We are somewhat virgins in dealing with such a situation year in and year out.  But, as someone said, we are cheering for laundry now.  

And if we were to be subjected to the Coach K recommendation, fine.  Make it such that the winners of the Big Ten, SEC, Big Twelve, ACC, PAC-12, Big East and AAC send their league champions to the new FBS format while all other members of these hallowed leagues go home.  No tournament of any sort for them.  Win your league or die trying.  Give thew top two a bye based on records, let 3 play 6 and 4 play 5 and then have your Final Four.  I am sure viewership in an FCS March Madness tournament would be an easy sell for CBS/TBS/TNT/Tru rights.  The NIT could even take all the "deserving" Power Conference schools and play their tourney with them.  FBS or FCS ---- you can only be in one.  Just liek football --- only no bowl games.

54 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Self is not cleared yet. It's still pending. 

billiken_roy likes this

i think the ncaa should at least try to appear they want to protect the allure of the "amateur".   as i have preached forever, let em pay whatever they want.   if a car dealer is stupid enough to give a player unwarranted dollars, let him.  but the ncaa should throw all their enforement efforts into academics.   by golly that player is going to truly qualify for college minimum standards to get enrolled.   that player is honestly going to take and pass a minimum number of classes to be on pace to graduate with a legitimate degree.    

i am betting those who want to truly be students as well as athletes will comply those that just want to play their sports will look for alternatives.   now we would have something instead of nba jr.