Traore in portal

SLU_Nick

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m betting this means Ford and Co. have at least one more big they are expecting to sign. 

Traore was probably told he would have the same role next year as he did this year. He wanted to play more so he left. 
Can’t blame the kid. I hope he does well but I’m expecting someone better to take his place.

I put this loss on par with Lorenston and Strickland. So in my eyes it’s no big deal.

The Nesbitt loss still stings.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

well this disappoints me more than even nesbitt.   ☹️

This makes no sense to me, not sure if you are joking with this post or not. Nesbitt showed significantly more talent and potential when compared to Traore. Nesbitt will be a huge loss for this team, Traore is just the next Austin Gillman.   

7 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

This makes no sense to me, not sure if you are joking with this post or not. Nesbitt showed significantly more talent and potential when compared to Traore. Nesbitt will be a huge loss for this team, Traore is just the next Austin Gillman.   

What? Do you mean in utility or skill? Gillman never improved in my view, Traore actually has potential. 

Nesbit and Traore both could be major contributors for SLU if they developed.  We have had players in past happy to remain as they were as freshmen. It takes a lot of work.  Hopefully, there are two bigs  for us in the portal that rebound and block shots

and do as well as our remaining Francis Okoro has

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

What? Do you mean in utility or skill? Gillman never improved in my view, Traore actually has potential. 

Traore has potential, not saying that he doesn't. I am just saying Nesbitt is more of a what could have been type player, vs Traore who will be just another player who has come and gone.

12 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

LOL forgot about Austin Gillman.... too funny

1 minute ago, dennis_w said:

With immediate eligible transfer this will be the normal going forward. Kids do not want to wait for playing time and now they do not have to sit a year. I liked watching kids develop but this is the way it is.

Also with how often coaches move, most kids will likely see 3 schools during their time 

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Also with how often coaches move, most kids will likely see 3 schools during their time 

That’s a shame. Whatever happened to the word “loyalty?” Maybe I’m from the Roy and Taj old school class, but this just takes the word and flushes it down the old toilet. 

15 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

That’s a shame. Whatever happened to the word “loyalty?” Maybe I’m from the Roy and Taj old school class, but this just takes the word and flushes it down the old toilet. 

no loyalty from the players or coaches just business. i am old school too. fandom has changed

billiken_roy likes this

22 minutes ago, thatskablamo said:

If free agency would have existed 30 years ago, there would not have been "loyalty" then either.  That's what free agency does.

dennis_w and BilliesBy40 like this

28 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I played one summer of CYC ball with Austin Gillman so I personally REALLY wanted him to be good.  

I did too which is why I was constantly frustrated with him, lol.

traore would be doing his jig around the likes of austin gillman every practice as he dominated him rebounding, scoring and defensively.   gillman would be crying and asking to go back to econ class. gillman was no traore.   

Fraz likes this

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

traore would be doing his jig around the likes of austin gillman every practice as he dominated him rebounding, scoring and defensively.   gillman would be crying and asking to go back to econ class. gillman was no traore.   

I have trouble dissing a kid who only took the schollie that was offered him.  It was not his fault that Crews could not evaluate talent or get talent.  The kid ultimately did the right thing and bowed out his senior year so we Ford could have the schollie to give.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I have trouble dishing a kid who only took the schollie that was offered him.  It was not his fault that Crews could not evaluate talent or get talent.  The kid ultimately did the right thing and bowed out his senior year so we Ford could have the schollie to give.

The "right thing" cuts both ways. Gillman did the right thing for the new coach and the team. However, in my opinion, you could also consider that the right thing for himself may well have been staying and finishing his degree at SLU free of charge. This option would have resulted in an advantage for himself and a disadvantage for the team and the coach.

Not every action a kid does is self centered, as a lot of people may think. Gillman may have left because he cared about what was best for the team, again this is hypothetical not factual.  And, no, I do not know Gillman or ever talked with him, his family, or friends. I think there are some remaining traces of "loyalty" that may be found in the  actions players take at times.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

The "right thing" cuts both ways. Gillman did the right thing for the new coach and the team. However, in my opinion, you could also consider that the right thing for himself may well have been staying and finishing his degree at SLU free of charge. This option would have resulted in an advantage for himself and a disadvantage for the team and the coach.

Not every action a kid does is self centered, as a lot of people may think. Gillman may have left because he cared about what was best for the team, again this is hypothetical not factual.  And, no, I do not know Gillman or ever talked with him, his family, or friends. I think there are some remaining traces of "loyalty" that may be found in the  actions players take at times.

He did graduate but technically had another year of eligibility which he passed up.