A10 Super Seniors

Taj79

The following super seniors face decisions around the A10 ... to return or not to return (updated May 19, 2022):

Davidson:  Nelson Boachie-Yiadom (Hofstra), Michael Jones (transfer).  Foster Loyer and Luka Brajkovic, (unknown).    

Dayton:  none.  

Duquesne:  none.

Fordham:  Darius Quisenberry (Returning).  Departing:  Chuba Ohams and Josh Colon-Navarro

George Mason:  None. 

George Washington:  None.

La Salle:  None.

Massachusets:  Michael Steadman, Dibaji Walker (Appalachian State)

Rhode Island: Jeremy Sheppard.  Departing Ismael El-Amin.

Richmond:  Andre Gustavson  (Returning), Matt Grace (Returning), Tyler Burton (Pro Evaluation).  Departing Jacob Gilyard, Grant Golden, Nathan Cayo, Nick Sherod.

Saint Joseph's:  Ejike Obinna

Saint Louis:  Javonte Perkins (returning) Departing: Departing Martin Linssen (PRO)

St. Bonaventure:  Departing (the entire cast of the Iron 5) Jalen Adaway (PRO), Jaren Holmes (Iowa State), Kyle Lofton (Florida), Osun Osunniyi (Iowa Sate) and Dominck Welch (Alabama).

VCU: None.  Departing KeShawn Curry (PRO) and Vince Williams (PRO)

I'm betting the Bona team returns save for maybe Osuniyi and maybe Adaway. If they all leave, see Richmond comment below. Not sure what you mean with the two Davidson guys. Can they stay at Davidson and get a double major, or if they have or will graduate they've got to seek Grad transfer status? I'd hate to see them return, but it is what it is. And McKillop probably has a couple of euros or Mongolians waiting in the wings that can shoot 3's from downtown Charlotte.  Richmond gets wiped out, eh? They'll likely be screaming for Mooney's head come next February. 

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

And McKillop probably has a couple of euros or Mongolians waiting in the wings that can shoot 3's from downtown Charlotte.  Richmond gets wiped out, eh? They'll likely be screaming for Mooney's head come next February. 

Dayton has the Mongolian.  Really.  Enkhiin-Od 'Michael' Sharavjamts.  6'8" SG from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.  Really.  You can't make this stuff up.

@slu72:  all bets are open on the Bona folks.  Olean is a cult and they may like it there, who knows.  If they don't return intact, then I think it's not a big deal overall.  If the two you suggest leave, they've lost their rim protector and their go-to scorer.  Coulibaly might be a better offensive threat tha Osunniyi but he's no rim protector. 

Boachie-Yiadom has been there for four years.  If he hasn't graduated, he'd have to be pretty damn close or would have been ineligible for not maintaining a full-time student status of 12 credits per semester.  Plus most ballplayers pick up summer courses to make up the missing credits if needed to get to the standard of 15 credit hours times two semesters times four years equals 120 to graduate with a degree..    Jones is listed as a redshirt sophomore but has stat lines for three years at Davidson.  Meaning the redshirt year was his freshman year and this would be his fourth year there likely also meaning he has enough credits to get a bachelor's degree.  With Davidson being a college, it likely has no grad program to go to.  I don't believe a dual major in undergrad counts as anything more or makes you eligible longer.  In order to seek grad transfer status, you have to first have a grad program.  Davidson does not.  McKillop has two bigs under LOI .... 6'11" Reed Bailey from Massachusetts and 6'10" Sean Logan from NJ.  That's high school however -- I don't know if they have Euro origins or not.  I've also got to believe Loyer and Brajkovic are done at Davidson too but will await final official word.

Richmond is decimated.  Not only did the four supers bow out, but two bench guys did as well.  It leaves NBA-ready Tyler Burton to go with Gustavson and Grace.  Both Grace and Gustavson could be super seniors next year and while both improved a lot since two years ago and their NIT run, I don't think that is enough to build a team around.  Mooney has one verbal commit for next year, a 6'11 center, but some rumors have Golden's brother Bryce, currently in the portal, transferring in.  

@HoosierPalYep, Mongolian Mike has committed to SVU.  Sounds like a flier in the vein of Kostos Antetenkoumpo a few years back.  Flyer fans believe he coudl be the next Obi-Wan Toppin however.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The following super seniors face decisions around the A10 ... to return or not to return (updated March 30,2022):

Davidson:  there are no seniors listed at Davidson.  However, Nelson Boachie-Yiadom and Michael Jones have entered the transfer portal.  I suspect that without a grad school and degrees in hand, Davidson players need to matriculate elsewhere to keep playing, ala Kellan Grandy, Carter Collins and Bates Jones last year.  This might make for interesting decisions by Foster Loyer and Luka Brajkovic, given their graduation status.  Both have completed four years of basketball which would have required at least 96 hours of successful completion towards a degree (minimum 12 hours per semester).  

Dayton:  none.  

Duquesne:  none.

Fordham:  Darius Quisenberry.  Departing:  Chuba Ohams and Josh Colon-Navarro

George Mason:  None.  Departing D'Shawn Schwartz.

George Washington:  None.

La Salle:  None.

Massachuseets:  Michael Steadman, Dibaji Walker

Rhode Island: Jeremy Sheppard.  Departing Ismael El-Amin.

Richmond:  Andre Gustavson, Matt Grace,  Departing Jacob Gilyard, Grant Golden, Nathan Cayo, Nick Sherod.

Saint Joseph's:  Ejike Obinna

Saint Louis:  Javonte Perkins (returning)

St. Bonaventure:  Jaren Holmes, Kyle Lofton, Osun Osunniyi, Jalen Adaway, Dominick Welch

VCU: KeShawn Curry (PRO), Vince Williams

Technically, shouldn't you add "Martin Linssen (not returning)" to the list?

Why can’t we get a Mongolian instead of all these Vikings? 
Tx, Taj Mahal 79, for the info. As for Davidson, McKillop will find suitable replacements, and if they’re from Mars and Jupiter , they’ll still shoot lights out. 

32 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Why can’t we get a Mongolian instead of all these Vikings? 
Tx, Taj Mahal 79, for the info. As for Davidson, McKillop will find suitable replacements, and if they’re from Mars and Jupiter , they’ll still shoot lights out. 

Just to give you a simple reason for our lack of Mongolians, we have no contacts with basketball players in Mongolia. Obviously Dayton had some connection. If you want a really tall player, you might as well try to find a basketball player of Tutsi origin in Burundi, these are big people for sure (average size 6" 6", the very tall ones are really very tall). Do we know anyone who can connect us there?

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

Just to give you a simple reason for our lack of Mongolians, we have no contacts with basketball players in Mongolia. Obviously Dayton had some connection. If you want a really tall player, you might as well try to find a basketball player of Tutsi origin in Burundi, these are big people for sure (average size 6" 6", the very tall ones are really very tall). Do we know anyone who can connect us there?

Please tell me u didn’t take me seriously. Did  the blue font mean u knew I was kidding? I hope so. 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

Please tell me u didn’t take me seriously. Did  the blue font mean u knew I was kidding? I hope so. 

I am one of those people that take things seriously. I use the blue font when I am making fun at something. I know you are not nuts but hey, maybe you want our own Mongolian. I was just offering, in jest of course, a bigger Burundian Tutsi, if we can find one that plays basketball. Think of it, it may be easier and cheaper to go recruit in Burundi than in Mongolia.

Davidson doesn’t have graduate programs, but guys can get a 2nd major.  It’s something they’d probably have needed to plan earlier on in their studies, but it is a possibility for Davidson players to stick around 5 years.

I’m not sure why you have Tyler Burton on the list.  He’s not a junior (just played his 3rd season), not senior.  

You also have D’Shawn Schwartz and all the Richmond guys (Gilyard, Goldren, Cayo, Sherrod) on the list, but they just finished their super senior seasons and do not have any eligibility left.

Thanks RU.  Will update.  Burton is on there because of his decision to go pro.  I had nowhere else to place him at the time.  It is all just a reflection of what is comign and going in the A10.  And it is HARD to keep up with.

11 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Updated today to reflect the departures of all but one Iron Five out of Bonaventure.

As I said to my dad today looks like Olean will be-lean next season.

billikenbill and thetorch like this

As of today, all of Bonaventure's Iron Five have announced plans to move on elsewhere as Welch commits to Alabama.  That leaves five Super Seniors in the A10 undecided and one, Tyler Burton, still undergoing the NBA draft evaluation.