A10 Transfer Watch

Taj79

8 minutes ago, CBFan said:

He looks like a good player.

UMass seems to be trending upward along with other teams in the A10.

I think with the new transfer rules and the NIL the small schools will get the higher rated high school players and the power conference schools fill their rosters with transfers.

I am hoping there will be a way that the small school players that the power conferences want to poach find enough NIL money to keep them from transferring.

The price of paying players to play keeps going up.  It will become increasingly difficult/interesting to see how this whole NIL piece plays out.  Texas A&M just announced that each scholarship player on their Woman's BB team will receive $25,000, renewable yearly.  This was added to their football NIL deal, where all 85 scholarship players PLUS 15 top walk-on's also each receive $25,000 annually.  I have not read, but assume, the men's BB team is/will have the same deal.  I also assume that each player can still go out and negotiate his/her own additional NIL deals.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A10 Rosters still in flux.  (No need for a new thread on a UMass recruit.)  UMass might be a year away from being a Top Tier A10 team.

The 6-foot-10 forward is currently ranked No. 42 in the class of 2023 but will reclass to 2022 and play for head coach Frank Martin this upcoming season.

Good on them for getting a recruit like this, but seems their PF position was already rather deep, and they needed help elsewhere(maybe im wrong on the needing help elsewhere)

Umass is already adding Woodley 6'9 and Leveque 6'10, both played in the SEC last year.  Leveque averaged 6 and 5 at a p5, so feel like he should be a big help for them right away.

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Good on them for getting a recruit like this, but seems their PF position was already rather deep, and they needed help elsewhere(maybe im wrong on the needing help elsewhere)

Umass is already adding Woodley 6'9 and Leveque 6'10, both played in the SEC last year.  Leveque averaged 6 and 5 at a p5, so feel like he should be a big help for them right away.

They also have a 6'8" transfer from BC, Gianni Thompson, and a 6'7" transfer from Louisville, Matt Cross and returning rotation player, 6'9" Dominguez.  It will be interesting to see how Martin lines his team up.  Will he go with the now conventional 4 out, 1 in, or will be go 2 in.  If he goes with the 3-2, UMass might be a match-up problem for some.  Yes, he seems to be a little short of bodies on the perimeter.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

He looks like a good player.

UMass seems to be trending upward along with other teams in the A10.

I think with the new transfer rules and the NIL the small schools will get the higher rated high school players and the power conference schools fill their rosters with transfers.

I am hoping there will be a way that the small school players that the power conferences want to poach find enough NIL money to keep them from transferring.

Fully agree, that the schools will be stratified by the NIL amounts available to them. In my opinion, the schools will go from those able to pay top NIL amounts which will recruit proven transfers from other schools, to small schools able to pay little or no NILs which will recruit among  high school graduate plus occasional JUCOs. Every team taking large amounts of HS graduates will have to develop their own retention strategies for the players they are training. In my opinion there is likely to be a fair amount of instability until a more or less stable overall accommodation to the NIL induced changes takes place.

12 minutes ago, slu72 said:

UMass getting a little scarier. Don’t they have the 2nd or 3rd best PG in the A10, Hernandez or Fernandez? There’s  a lot of height on that roster. But anything that makes the A10 better I’m all in. 

Im a lot higher on UMASS then other people seem to be.  I'll take their coaching + starting lineup over just about anyone in the league not named slu or dayton. The big issue to me is their bench.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

UMass getting a little scarier. Don’t they have the 2nd or 3rd best PG in the A10, Hernandez or Fernandez? There’s  a lot of height on that roster. But anything that makes the A10 better I’m all in. 

Fernandes. For returning PG, he ties with Smith at 5.3 apg. Using that metric only he comes in 2-T. So yeah he is good. But it looks like UMass may have the same issue as we do  who is their backup PG. 

I've updated Page 1 to reflect current numbers.  Tommy Gardler, a guard from the University of the Sciences in Philly, committed as a walk-on at La Salle.  He is the only addition.  Javohn Garcia of Umass is going to the College of the Sequoias and Pedro Rossi of St. Bonaventure is off to Minnesota-Crookston.  That leaves five A10 players still without homes including Kolt Mitchell of Umass, Sam Shelton and Michael Gray of Mason, Ahmad Harrison of Fordham and Kyle Thompson at La Salle.  Almost 500 names remain in the transfer portal.

34 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I've updated Page 1 to reflect current numbers.  Tommy Gardler, a guard from the University of the Sciences in Philly, committed as a walk-on at La Salle.  He is the only addition.  Javohn Garcia od Umass is going to the College of the Sequoias and Pedro Rossi of St. Bonaventure is off to Minnesota-Crookston.  That leaves five A10 players still without homes including Kolt Mitchell of Umass, Sam Shelton and Michbael Gray of Mason, Ahmad Harrison of Fordham and Kyle Thompson at La Salle.  Almost 500 names remain in the transfer portal.

Has the school year started yet? If it has, those 500 transfer portal kids may be SOL.

These numbers don't jive with Verbal Commits Transfer, but close enough okay?  Guessing some of these 'transfers' are players who were pushed out.  Others may be giving up basketball, moving down to DIII or NAIA or JUCO, and/or not on social media which seems to be the primary source of transfer information.  Those could be off the radar.  But who knows for sure. I'm not believing 400+ players have dropped out of college due to no one picking them up for basketball. A handful of these guys have gone pro overseas.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

These numbers don't jive with Verbal Commits Transfer, but close enough okay?  Guessing some of these 'transfers' are players who were pushed out.  Others may be giving up basketball, moving down to DIII or NAIA or JUCO, and/or not on social media which seems to be the primary source of transfer information.  Those could be off the radar.  But who knows for sure. I'm not believing 400+ players have dropped out of college due to no one picking them up for basketball. A handful of these guys have gone pro overseas.

I think some of the difference is Verbal Commits includes walk in’s in their totals.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think some of the difference is Verbal Commits includes walk in’s in their totals.

It is hard to know as none of these sources need to verify their lists for their readers.  But I am comfortable with 'several hundred' players from last season likely not playing this season.  I gues, I hope they don't abandon their college education. 

I don't understand the portal.  I read yesterday that a 3rd team All Horizon conf player from UIC just entered the portal.  I thought it shut a few months ago.  Either he has already had an offer from another school or he is really hanging out there on getting a landing spot.

Eleven kids just entered the transfer portal in the last day; with eight already having landing spots per Verbal Commits.  Does the portal ever really close?  I don't think so unless the closing bell is signaled by an event, maybe the first day of classes or last day to enroll at a school for that semester.  Why should it close?  Seems to be no real reason given that anyone can transfer anywhere at any given time.  With no sit-out time and no adverse consequences it's a wide-open season.  

My thought is once school officially starts, that season's portal is done and now you are locked in to wherever you are.  I think this won't affect much mid-term transfers either because schools and teams will have their rosters locked in and can't or won't want another guy jumping in short of some highly-touted superstar.  And I can't really see that being the norm.  One or two?  Maybe but not this rush of hundreds of players.

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Eleven kids just entered the transfer portal in the last day; with eight already having landing spots per Verbal Commits.  Does the portal ever really close?  I don't think so unless the closing bell is signaled by an event, maybe the first day of classes or last day to enroll at a school for that semester.  Why should it close?  Seems to be no real reason given that anyone can transfer anywhere at any given time.  With no sit-out time and no adverse consequences it's a wide-open season.  

My thought is once school officially starts, that season's portal is done and now you are locked in to wherever you are.  I think this won't affect much mid-term transfers either because schools and teams will have their rosters locked in and can't or won't want another guy jumping in short of some highly-touted superstar.  And I can't really see that being the norm.  One or two?  Maybe but not this rush of hundreds of players.

The transfer portal is apparently open 24/7/365. 366 during Leap Years. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

A school still concerned with academic issues.  Wow.  Who'd a thought that was even on the radar.  Can you use NIL money to buy grades?

The reason for Colleges and Universities to exist is their academic programs. They are not primarily places to train for professional sports. MLB has it right with their AAA league as a place to train for big league sports. We are in a transition where Colleges and Universities derive a greater portion of their income from sports activities and research contracts, and less from alumni donations and academic excellence. This is not a good a good change in my opinion.

Yes, schools should be concerned with academic issues.