A10 Transfer Watch

Taj79

As of today, 624 of the 1707 transfer portal names entered on Verbal Commits have yet to find landing spots elsewhere.  I added that number to the first page of this thread as always.  

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you are saying in area high schools it is normal for rosters to turn over 60-80% every year because the underclassmen players are being paid by high school boosters to switch schools?   

sorry, i have not seen that and dont agree with your assessment.   we have seen the stars move to private schools near the end of their high school days but that is not an every school situation or anywhere near the almost complete roster turnover we are seeing this year in college D1 basketball and football.  

It is obviously not on the same level as college, but a lot of HS basketball players especially elite ones change schools during their careers.  Most often players go from a local HS to a prep school that plays a "national" schedule of other high end teams. 

Recent local examples:

John Bol is leaving CBC for Sunrise Prep

Tarris Reed Jr & Damien Mayo leaving Chaminde for Link.

SLU examples:

Momo Cisse moved from Hillcrest to Putnam Science Academy

Gibson Jimerson went to both St Christopher's and Benedictine in Richmond before finishing his HS career at Montvedre Academy in Florida

I'd actually guess that if you Google the rosters for Sunrise, Link, and Montvedre most or all their players started their basketball careers elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

As of today, 624 of the 1707 transfer portal names entered on Verbal Commits have yet to find landing spots elsewhere.  I added that number to the first page of this thread as always.  

So how many of them will wind up not playing anywhere next year? It seems like at this point these players are not wanted, and they had best jump at any opportunity…

27 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It is obviously not on the same level as college, but a lot of HS basketball players especially elite ones change schools during their careers.  Most often players go from a local HS to a prep school that plays a "national" schedule of other high end teams. 

Recent local examples:

John Bol is leaving CBC for Sunrise Prep

Tarris Reed Jr & Damien Mayo leaving Chaminde for Link.

SLU examples:

Momo Cisse moved from Hillcrest to Putnam Science Academy

Gibson Jimerson went to both St Christopher's and Benedictine in Richmond before finishing his HS career at Montvedre Academy in Florida

I'd actually guess that if you Google the rosters for Sunrise, Link, and Montvedre most or all their players started their basketball careers elsewhere.

actually i dont consider that near the volume we have seen this year in college basketball and if it was indeed the same ratio, high school transfers in sheer numbers would be far more than what we saw in college this year simply because there are more high school players.   

i would expect there to always be transfers in high school, but not at the rate we saw in college basketball this year.   

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

actually i dont consider that near the volume we have seen this year in college basketball and if it was indeed the same ratio, high school transfers in sheer numbers would be far more than what we saw in college this year simply because there are more high school players.   

i would expect there to always be transfers in high school, but not at the rate we saw in college basketball this year.   

I'm not at all trying to argue HS transfers are on the same level as college transfers.  I'm just saying that HS transfers happen too & are happening more often than in the past.

By my count, 156 of the remaining transfers are listed as PG.  Of course, a lot of them are from lesser colleges and seem to be freshmen.  Nothing jumped out at me.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

The # of transfers in college right now is inflated for multiple reasons, the biggest two being Covid eligibility exceptions and the uncertainties surrounding the portal - it's only been accessible like this for a couple years and it will inevitably die down when people see how it doesn't always work out. 

Give it two years and I'll bet we don't see half as many people entering the portal.  

56 minutes ago, brownwolves said:

AND he never considered you girls. Tear, maybe two.

The tears will be in your eyes come March after the Bonnie’s first round A10 tournament defeat.

It appears never considered St. B either.

2 hours ago, brownwolves said:

and you gloat over this?    sad.  

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:
I guess the Bonnie NIL check bounced.  This will be his 4th commitment in 3 years.  Obviously he is concerned about finding a school that meets his academic goals.

Maybe the NIL check DID clear, and he just took the money and ran.  What legally would stop him? These deals are NOT pay for play, after all, so if he leaves with the money, what’s to stop him?

7 hours ago, brownwolves said:

I don’t think anyone on this board wanted to face the Iron 5 again, but outside of that we are not really anti-Bonnie, nor do we want any excess ill on that program. Let’s face it, a super tall, low defense, stretch 4 is not really Mark Schmidt’s style of play anyway.

2 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Maybe the NIL check DID clear, and he just took the money and ran.  What legally would stop him? These deals are NOT pay for play, after all, so if he leaves with the money, what’s to stop him?

Any NIL contract of a sizable amount would be structured on a month-by-month basis and give both parties the right to terminate at any time

4 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t think anyone on this board wanted to face the Iron 5 again, but outside of that we are not really anti-Bonnie, nor do we want any excess ill on that program.

Please do not speak for all of us. (I’m kind of joking)

most annoying fan base on a10 twitter imo. Big time BFIB energy. Love beating them and love seeing sad capn beer

I will not be answering questions at this time.

3 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Any NIL contract of a sizable amount would be structured on a month-by-month basis and give both parties the right to terminate at any time

Maybe. Hard to say what’s in the contract without reading it.  I’m sure whoever gave the money for the NIL would want some sort of protection, but whoever negotiated the deal for the player would want to minimize reasons to terminate the deal. And of course, the contract couldn’t contain anything about that player playing for a certain school without getting into NCAA trouble.  The player would seem to have a lot of leverage in this negotiation after all, probably more so than the person giving out the NIL, so who knows what the final contract says. 

3 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Maybe. Hard to say what’s in the contract without reading it.  I’m sure whoever gave the money for the NIL would want some sort of protection, but whoever negotiated the deal for the player would want to minimize reasons to terminate the deal. And of course, the contract couldn’t contain anything about that player playing for a certain school without getting into NCAA trouble.  The player would seem to have a lot of leverage in this negotiation after all, probably more so than the person giving out the NIL, so who knows what the final contract says. 

NILs are a new thing and I am absolutely certain that, at this time, there is no standard structure for a NIL contract. I assume there will be a fair degree of differences between specific contracts when compared with one another. Perhaps in  time a more or less standard NIL contract will develop.

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Joe Reece to Duquesne

Reece isn't a guy I necessarily wanted at SLU, but I hate it when St Louis guys end up in the A10.  I feel like they regularly level up their performance when the play SLU.  On the plus side, it seems like a decent fit for Duquense and a decent landing spot for Reece.  Better A10 teams are good for SLU even if this just moves Duq from bad to not so bad.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Reece isn't a guy I necessarily wanted at SLU, but I hate it when St Louis guys end up in the A10.  I feel like they regularly level up their performance when the play SLU.  On the plus side, it seems like a decent fit for Duquense and a decent landing spot for Reece.  Better A10 teams are good for SLU even if this just moves Duq from bad to not so bad.

Who else beside Mike Lewis did that? Even then I think he was just a good player. Same with Courtney Stockard. Levi just wasn't very good, except for literally that one game in KC when he was at K State

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

Who else beside Mike Lewis did that? Even then I think he was just a good player. Same with Courtney Stockard. Levi just wasn't very good, except for literally that one game in KC when he was at K State

This is probably my selective memory bias then because I was at that game in KC, so I have it in my head that Lewis, Courtney Stockard, and Levi Stockard all killed us.