A10 Transfer Watch

Taj79

10 hours ago, Old guy said:

Who knows what angles are conceived to profit from expenses of $200,000 in NILs. I have no idea how these promoters/donors expect to profit from these "investments." Agree about Ed Bastian, he is making a lot of money, is certainly in the top 1% of the pyramid, and can afford to spend some money.

OLD GUY...I'll only say it once, because apparently it hasn't gotten through to you yet -

NIL does not require that donors/boosters/business partners/etc profit from their NIL investments, and nobody is insisting that it is standard that they do. These guys are simply throwing money at their favorite team's best players. Stop over complicating it. 

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

OLD GUY...I'll only say it once, because apparently it hasn't gotten through to you yet -

NIL does not require that donors/boosters/business partners/etc profit from their NIL investments, and nobody is insisting that it is standard that they do. These guys are simply throwing money at their favorite team's best players. Stop over complicating it. 

Agreed. The vast majority of these NIL deals are nothing but money losers, enabling people to get around the NCAA’s no “play for play” rule via a thinly disguised legal framework. 

44 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

He might not have as much to donate as you think. 😆

Put this all into context of the discussion.  Don't really care what he has or doesn't have or what he does or doesn't want to do with his money.  All it takes is one. 

In my 76 years of life I have experienced poverty, destitution, and hunger. I have done fine for many years, thank you, but I cannot imagine people throwing away that kind of money. Sorry, I just can't. I will believe you are telling the truth but I just can't see it.

5 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

Copy and paste this for future use. While I could see the model changing in the future (and it probably should), this is the current result of NIL. Few of these folks are looking at ROI, it just made it legal for boosters to pay recruits/players. "Payroll" has become an additional need for boosters to fund. If the team is interested in an easy $100 each, I would cherish the opportunity to stand outside of Grand Forest one day this summer and have the team walk by while I greet them individually with $100 handshakes. If I am to participate, I want it to be as awkward as possible.

26 minutes ago, Old guy said:

In my 76 years of life I have experienced poverty, destitution, and hunger. I have done fine for many years, thank you, but I cannot imagine people throwing away that kind of money. Sorry, I just can't. I will believe you are telling the truth but I just can't see it.

Right which is the response from the vast majority of college sports fans. The difference from pre-NIL and how things evolved this year is that basketball and football programs now have payroll funded by boosters. So if you are already a booster this is another place for you to funnel your contributions to the program. Technically it is not the same, but in reality it is. Sure you will see some social media ads with players, but that isn't the primary function for them to get paid. Most of this is boosters cutting checks with no action required beyond playing basketball for the team they are a fan of. Most of us are not at the level financially to be contacted about any of this.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Right which is the response from the vast majority of college sports fans. The difference from pre-NIL and how things evolved this year is that basketball and football programs now have payroll funded by boosters. So if you are already a booster this is another place for you to funnel your contributions to the program. Technically it is not the same, but in reality it is. Sure you will see some social media ads with players, but that isn't the primary function for them to get paid. Most of this is boosters cutting checks with no action required beyond playing basketball for the team they are a fan of. Most of us are not at the level financially to be contacted about any of this.

And the next logical step is complaining by the boosters over the playing time being given to the players they financed. Oh well

29 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

And the next logical step is complaining by the boosters over the playing time being given to the players they financed. Oh well

There is already a story where a booster offered money to a player whom the coach didn’t  want. 

I am glad we are calling it what it is .... pay for play.  NIL is a front.  I also get the social media payments.  Also a front.  

In a local news story here today, James Franklin, coach of Penn State football, addressed the media and discussed many topics, including NIL.  He said "the face of the team and the face of sports in general is changing.  Now, each year, we are going to have to ask the boosters for another $7 million  for NIL purposes."  PAY FOR PLAY. 

That $20 million going to the O'Loughlin Center?  Going to need another, annual fundraising drive focused solely on NIL.

CBFan likes this

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

In a local news story here today, James Franklin, coach of Penn State football, addressed the media and discussed many topics, including NIL.  He said "the face of the team and the face of sports in general is changing.  Now, each year, we are going to have to ask the boosters for another $7 million  for NIL purposes."  PAY FOR PLAY.

Thanks for passing that along especially the amount referenced by Franklin. That gives us a good idea what top tier BCS football programs are aiming for.

6 hours ago, Box and Won said:

It was a joke.

You made me laugh as always box.

The truth is always funny I was divorced once and the result was being divorced half my wealth.

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I am glad we are calling it what it is .... pay for play.  NIL is a front.  I also get the social media payments.  Also a front.  

That $20 million going to the O'Loughlin Center?  Going to need another, annual fundraising drive focused solely on NIL.

The players with the big money NIL deals better get used to fans booing the players when they don’t perform.

It ruins the beauty of the college game because when they were student athletes booing was reserved for bad officiating and the other team.

We are still all in with buying 4 seats this season and I hope that I can still enjoy the team with huge roster turnovers each season.

9 hours ago, CBFan said:

The players with the big money NIL deals better get used to fans booing the players when they don’t perform.

It ruins the beauty of the college game because when they were student athletes booing was reserved for bad officiating and the other team.

We are still all in with buying 4 seats this season and I hope that I can still enjoy the team with huge roster turnovers each season.

In this new world, you are just cheering for the laundry they wear, not who is wearing said laundry…

HoosierPal likes this

25 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

In this new world, you are just cheering for the laundry they wear, not who is wearing said laundry

This will be Okoro’s third year with the team the wife end have enjoyed watching him grow into one of the best in his position.

Perkins will be around 3 years.

4 year players will Collins, Jimerson, Thatch and Hargrove.

The wife and I get attached to these players and that is what makes SLU basketball fun.

After these players mentioned leave will there ever be a 4 year player on any team.

30 minutes ago, CBFan said:

After these players mentioned leave will there ever be a 4 year player on any team.

Yes, I think there wil be schools with 4 year players. What I see coming is a division of the teams into the haves, with ample NILs, and the have nots, without ample NILS. Division I will be, as I see it, informally split into perhaps several sub groupings based upon NIL availability. Some schools will pay their players very high NILs while on the other end there will be schools with players unable to get paid much at all. The lower level school groups may well have 4 year players in their rosters.

I can imagine players getting the high NILs for a year and then, due to whatever reasons, drop back down to lower levels the next year or so.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

This will be Okoro’s third year with the team the wife end have enjoyed watching him grow into one of the best in his position.

Perkins will be around 3 years.

4 year players will Collins, Jimerson, Thatch and Hargrove.

The wife and I get attached to these players and that is what makes SLU basketball fun.

I think you are spot on.  imo the changing landscape of college athletics due to this NIL nonsense is that hardcore fans will begin to lose their emotional attachment to the program and eventually their passion and enthusiasm.   sure they may still go (some will go less, some not at all) but it will never be the same again.   i suspect those drives home after a tough loss will become less and less painful but the big wins will become less exciting and just entertainment for a day.   i see a return to my days of rabid high school watching which has cut back tremendously over the last 10 years.   of course that will be the next thing where the high school kids are doing the same thing hopping from school to school.  

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

of course that will be the next thing where the high school kids are doing the same thing hopping from school to school.  

I hate to break it to you, but this is already happening quite a bit for high level HS players.

26 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I hate to break it to you, but this is already happening quite a bit for high level HS players.

you are saying in area high schools it is normal for rosters to turn over 60-80% every year because the underclassmen players are being paid by high school boosters to switch schools?   

sorry, i have not seen that and dont agree with your assessment.   we have seen the stars move to private schools near the end of their high school days but that is not an every school situation or anywhere near the almost complete roster turnover we are seeing this year in college D1 basketball and football.