A10 Transfer Watch

Taj79

It's time to fish or cut bait for every underclassman in the NBA Draft protocols.  For the A10, that is Burton, Lee, Brajkovic, Hall, Curry and WIlliams and of those only Burton seems a lock to return (maybe).  50/50.  Curry, Williams and Lee seem solidly in place to stay; Lee could even be a big star playing pro in Korea.  Hall seems entrenched there too.  Brajkovic I don't know but if he comes back, I think he'll have to go elsewhere from Davidson as they have no grad school to fall back on.  

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like more of a Davidson type player:

Super efficient shooter, but pretty low usage and maybe a question mark defensively given he is listed at 210lbs at 6'11.  Also had injury issues last season that could also be attributed to his slender frame.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Super efficient shooter, but pretty low usage and maybe a question mark defensively given he is listed at 210lbs at 6'11.  Also had injury issues last season that could also be attributed to his slender frame.

Waterman is from Western NY. Not exactly close to Olean - north end of Cayuga near Seneca Falls and Syracuse would be the closest real city - but 2.5 hours is probably close enough to be considered local in Bonaventure terms, and it's something of a homecoming for a guy transferring from Detroit.

Another Bona boy off the books .. Quadray Adams to Dodge City Community College.  I noted the rapid falls of Elijah Weaver and Jordan Nesbitt and Adams is close.  From Wake Forest to Bonaventure to Dodge City CC.  Gonna need a 'chute there too.

12 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

In his freshman year, he was 3rd ITN in 3P%.  As a Soph this year, he played an extra 6 games (21 of 30) which led to 120 more min. His numbers dropped off significantly. His 3P% dropped from 52.9% to 37.5% ..While still very good ...no national ranking.  And even with the extra min this year most of his slash line (FG% and FT%) comes in at NM-S3...not meaningful due to small sample size.

It remains to be seen whether he will make a meaningful difference to St. B this year.

11 hours ago, The Wiz said:

In his freshman year, he was 3rd ITN in 3P%.  As a Soph this year, he played an extra 6 games (21 of 30) which led to 120 more min. His numbers dropped off significantly. His 3P% dropped from 52.9% to 37.5% ..While still very good ...no national ranking.  And even with the extra min this year most of his slash line (FG% and FT%) comes in at NM-S3...not meaningful due to small sample size.

It remains to be seen whether he will make a meaningful difference to St. B this year.

Who knows how this guy will work out for Bonaventure, but generally I'd rather take a chance on a guy who has good/great shooting numbers in a small sample versus a guy who has proven over a large sample to be a mediocre / bad shooter.

Bottom line is that Bonaventure appears to be in a world of hurt.  All five Iron Five gone.  Both bench players gone.  JUCO All-American gone.  Schmidt basically has a sign on the door "Can you dribble a basketball; Apply within.  No welders."  Right now, he has three PGs on the roster in Banks, Flowers and Luc.  All are transfers in all from lesser conferences in St. Peters, Hartford and Holy Cross.  Banks averaged 11.3 ppg.  Flowers 14.1 (but a leading 6.3 rpg), and Luc 13.0.  Not a bad collection but all at lower level schools.  The front court transfers include Waterman, Venning and Amadasun.  Those are from Detroit, Morgan State and Pitt.  Waterman average 8.0 ppg, Venning 7.2 ppg and Amadasun a whopping 0.3 in the higher Atlantic Coast Conference.  Of the three other guys left on the roster, two saw no game action and the other one was in 12 games total.

Going to make for some long, cold nights in the great white north.  Schmidt's post anywhere near a winnign record and he is coach of the year in the A10.

Another A10 transfer off the board as Chris Ford of Davidson lands at Robert Morris.  Also noted Tyler Burton is back off the NBA draft wire.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:
Once Schmidt figures out his rotation and team chemistry gells, St. B could be a very interesting team.  They might be a year away from Top Tier, but they will be dangerous at home.

Tough road to take.  

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

Once more, St. Bonaventure cannot rely on NILs, so they have to do it the tough way. I wish them all the best.

The Bonnie Board indicated the 5 departee's were all offered NIL's in the $75K to $80K range.  True or not, I don't know but I would suspect St. B does have a NIL program.  And all it takes is one booster/donor to make a $ difference.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The Bonnie Board indicated the 5 departee's were all offered NIL's in the $75K to $80K range.  True or not, I don't know but I would suspect St. B does have a NIL program.  And all it takes is one booster/donor to make a $ difference.

Be realistic in your estimates please, do your homework. Olean is a city of about 14.000 people with only one significant corporation still headquartered there (Cutco). This is not by a long shot a place with abundant wealth to be spent in NILs. The fact that they offered such NILs to the outgoing players (very large amounts considering the place they came from) was an extraordinary effort on their part and it failed. St. Bonaventure probably has donors but you have no idea (neither do I) about how much money is available to them. They tried the best offers they could make and failed, the players went elsewhere to get more money.

Therefore St, Bona has to do it the tough way, by getting college graduates with talent and developing them. Their NIL offers were, as I said, an extraordinary effort on their part, but just they do not have enough available wealth to compete in NILs. So, it is plan B for them. I will follow the results of their efforts with interest because I have the feeling that sooner or later SLU will have follow the same trail as St. Bona.

I'd love to know what each was going to do to merit $75k to $80k in the greater Olean/Enchanted Mountain region.  Olean is the biggest city in its county totaling almost 14,000 people.  It's almost 100 miles to either Buffalo, Rochester, Elmira and even Erie, PA.  Seems liek great paying jobs for little to no work.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Be realistic in your estimates please, do your homework. Olean is a city of about 14.000 people with only one significant corporation still headquartered there (Cutco). This is not by a long shot a place with abundant wealth to be spent in NILs. The fact that they offered such NILs to the outgoing players (very large amounts considering the place they came from) was an extraordinary effort on their part and it failed. St. Bonaventure probably has donors but you have no idea (neither do I) about how much money is available to them. They tried the best offers they could make and failed, the players went elsewhere to get more money.

Therefore St, Bona has to do it the tough way, by getting college graduates with talent and developing them. Their NIL offers were, as I said, an extraordinary effort on their part, but just they do not have enough available wealth to compete in NILs. So, it is plan B for them. I will follow the results of their efforts with interest because I have the feeling that sooner or later SLU will have follow the same trail as St. Bona.

Couple of things here.  First, these are not my estimates.  Please reread my post.  If you so desire, go to the Bona Bandwagon and read.

Second, sure, the larger the metropolis, the more opportunities there should be for NIL's.  But you don't need to have a corporate HQ in your town to have NIL opportunities.  A car dealership, a grocery store, a restaurant chain, any and all businesses can get involved in NIL.  Any your focus is solely on Olean.  Buffalo will have St. Bonaventure alums.   The Buffalo News has a feature article on the Bonnies playing Iona and Notre Dame.   https://buffalonews.com/sports/college/  

What is the value of Osuni on a billboard in Buffalo?

Third, NIL quickly degenerated into Pay for Play.  All it takes is one donor.  If you know who Ed Bastian is, he could easily, single handled, fund five players at $100K, if he so desired.  (I have no idea of his loyalty to his alma mater so his desire to participate in NIL.)  You do not need to perform equivalent compensation for the money.  Show up for an alumni golf tourney and collect your money.  And I am sure there are more Bonnie alums with heavy coin out there. 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I'd love to know what each was going to do to merit $75k to $80k in the greater Olean/Enchanted Mountain region.  Olean is the biggest city in its county totaling almost 14,000 people.  It's almost 100 miles to either Buffalo, Rochester, Elmira and even Erie, PA.  Seems liek great paying jobs for little to no work.

Buy a really sweet snowmobile, maybe? A high volume space heater? Shop at Arctic Outfitters? A snowblower? New skis? 

billikenbill likes this

Hoosier, I have no idea who Ed Bastian is and a quick search just yielded obituaries. I have no doubt he might be able to  do as you say, but has not done it yet. I think I made the point that these kids turned down NILs of $70 to $80 K and I really do not think that car dealerships, or grocery stores would be willing to give $100 K per year in NILs. I may be wrong of course.

The point I was trying to make is that St. Bona has a team to field next year without paying astronomical NILs. This means that you can stay in the game without paying astronomical amounts of money. We will see if this works for them.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

can't  help myself;  this>   Be realistic in your estimates please, do your homework.>

From  the (old)  guy who said CV-19 deaths would top off @ 26K. even if it was + or - a million still off!  u get more  wrong  by the day.

Billikenbooster likes this

41 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hoosier, I have no idea who Ed Bastian is and a quick search just yielded obituaries. I have no doubt he might be able to  do as you say, but has not done it yet. I think I made the point that these kids turned down NILs of $70 to $80 K and I really do not think that car dealerships, or grocery stores would be willing to give $100 K per year in NILs. I may be wrong of course.

The point I was trying to make is that St. Bona has a team to field next year without paying astronomical NILs. This means that you can stay in the game without paying astronomical amounts of money. We will see if this works for them.

Google is a wonderful tool and easy to use.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Bastian

Pulled down $12 million last year.  Google his annual salary and net worth.

"The Board" reports that Iowa State, located in Ames Iowa, is paying Osunniyi and Ward $200,000.  Some nice Ag Coops are headquartered there.  Osunniyi on a tractor?

CBFan likes this

Who knows what angles are conceived to profit from expenses of $200,000 in NILs. I have no idea how these promoters/donors expect to profit from these "investments." Agree about Ed Bastian, he is making a lot of money, is certainly in the top 1% of the pyramid, and can afford to spend some money.

That $200k still seems to be the going rate in multiple instances.  Good to know.  If true, Iowa State got a bargain in Osunniyi and was taken to Salinas and lost badly in terms of Ward.