A10 Transfer Watch

Taj79

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

St B’s getting decimated. Osuniyi and Lofton will likely get some P5 activity. 

Schmidt reduced to offering community college players. Only requirement is a certificate in welding.

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

Not doubting the NIL $$$’s just the speed at which it happened. 

The NIL is a new thing, a lot of people appear to be testing the waters in this area. However how long is the interest going to last? It is like the opening of a new restaurant with good reviews. Lots of people want to check it out, then the interest goes away...

Young Charles likes this

48 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The NIL is a new thing, a lot of people appear to be testing the waters in this area. However how long is the interest going to last? It is like the opening of a new restaurant with good reviews. Lots of people want to check it out, then the interest goes away...

Sorry, but the interest in making bucks is time immemorial. A hot place may go away, but the chase for the buck will always be there. 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Sorry, but the interest in making bucks is time immemorial. A hot place may go away, but the chase for the buck will always be there. 

I can see how the players make money, I can see how the various “NIL Agents” (for want of a better term) make money. What I can’t see is how the billionaires supplying the NIL money make anything off of this. I don’t see where anyone is making commercials using the likenesses of entire football and basketball teams worth of college students in any form to sell or move products and services enough to make the expense of giving these NIL deals. From what I can see, it’s purely a money loosing expense for the people giving the money away.  The only thing they get is their egos stroked for trying to help their favorite university buy a championship. And it looks like the price will keep going up. How long are enough of them going to keep giving away money before they lose interest in this and switchand buy a trip to outer space, or a submarine, or lord knows what else is the new trend that rich people will do to show off their wealth?

18 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

I can see how the players make money, I can see how the various “NIL Agents” (for want of a better term) make money. What I can’t see is how the billionaires supplying the NIL money make anything off of this. I don’t see where anyone is making commercials using the likenesses of entire football and basketball teams worth of college students in any form to sell or move products and services enough to make the expense of giving these NIL deals. From what I can see, it’s purely a money loosing expense for the people giving the money away.  The only thing they get is their egos stroked for trying to help their favorite university buy a championship. And it looks like the price will keep going up. How long are enough of them going to keep giving away money before they lose interest in this and switchand buy a trip to outer space, or a submarine, or lord knows what else is the new trend that rich people will do to show off their wealth?

They are selling a heck of a lot of pickles.

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

This is a great source of money for the players, their agents, and lawyers, but how do the donors make money or whatever out of it? Lord Elrond's reply is absolutely correct.

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

Billionaires do not get to be billionaires by throwing money away. Two points: 1. if they do not get whatever they want out of this expense they will move on, and 2. If becoming a NIL donor becomes a really complex and litigious pain in the rear end, they will move on. It is only a matter of time before the money spigot goes dry. That is unless the donors get something they want out of it.

Some of our more astute observers have said this NIL stuff has been going on forever.  Maybe not known as NIL, but cash payments, cars, girls, jobs for parents, etc.  Now, with NIL, it's just supposedly legit and out there in the open and is giving to those (the players) who supposedly need it most.    

What if gamblers pay college kids?  How about point shaving?  OJ Mayo got money while at USC in the early 2000s.  Nova had to forfeit it's 1971 NCAA appearance for Howard Porter's pay scandal.  DeAndre Ayton just recently at Arizona.  The great FedEx cash caper at Kentucky under Eddie Sutton.  The various Rick Pitino incentive programs. Marcus Camby was paid at Umass, Ditto Jelani Gardner at Cal.  What did boosters gain way back then for paying for their college talent?  I'd say absolutely nothing but it's been going on since 1971 in the list above and even Adolph Rupp's teams were indicted for point shaving back in the 1940's.  

In my entire career I never made $200,000 a year.  Now this punk kid at Miami wants that and more.  For what?  Only one team will hoist a trophy and I guarantee it won't be the Miami Hurricanes.  Bank on that.  But folks will keep paying and I think it's all for the ability to be revered at the school --- ala Doc Chaifetz.  Chaifetz is a god-like figure at Billiken home games and on the road at specific games (Madison Square Garden) and tournaments.  I see him revered in his circle and when dealing with low-flying peons like me.  And rightly so and that's fine by me but what more is there?  As OG and Elond note, eventually, you want some ROI from these NIL deals if you ask me and you're just not going to get it.  

According to an NCAA study in 2020, 3.5% of all high school basketball players move on to college after high school.  That percentage drops to 1% if you limit it to Division 1 schools.  And only 1.2% of college players make it to the NBA.  Seems like a while lot of NIL dollars going out the window for absolutely nothing in return.  What would you have paid Carte'Are Gordon or Jordan Nesbitt?  What woudl they have demanded?  And for what?

Old guy likes this

39 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Some of our more astute observers have said this NIL stuff has been going on forever.  Maybe not known as NIL, but cash payments, cars, girls, jobs for parents, etc.  Now, with NIL, it's just supposedly legit and out there in the open and is giving to those (the players) who supposedly need it most.    

What if gamblers pay college kids?  How about point shaving?  OJ Mayo got money while at USC in the early 2000s.  Nova had to forfeit it's 1971 NCAA appearance for Howard Porter's pay scandal.  DeAndre Ayton just recently at Arizona.  The great FedEx cash caper at Kentucky under Eddie Sutton.  The various Rick Pitino incentive programs. Marcus Camby was paid at Umass, Ditto Jelani Gardner at Cal.  What did boosters gain way back then for paying for their college talent?  I'd say absolutely nothing but it's been going on since 1971 in the list above and even Adolph Rupp's teams were indicted for point shaving back in the 1940's.  

In my entire career I never made $200,000 a year.  Now this punk kid at Miami wants that and more.  For what?  Only one team will hoist a trophy and I guarantee it won't be the Miami Hurricanes.  Bank on that.  But folks will keep paying and I think it's all for the ability to be revered at the school --- ala Doc Chaifetz.  Chaifetz is a god-like figure at Billiken home games and on the road at specific games (Madison Square Garden) and tournaments.  I see him revered in his circle and when dealing with low-flying peons like me.  And rightly so and that's fine by me but what more is there?  As OG and Elond note, eventually, you want some ROI from these NIL deals if you ask me and you're just not going to get it.  

According to an NCAA study in 2020, 3.5% of all high school basketball players move on to college after high school.  That percentage drops to 1% if you limit it to Division 1 schools.  And only 1.2% of college players make it to the NBA.  Seems like a while lot of NIL dollars going out the window for absolutely nothing in return.  What would you have paid Carte'Are Gordon or Jordan Nesbitt?  What woudl they have demanded?  And for what?

I am not really sure where you were going with this. I think you do a good job displaying and describing a problem.  I do take issue with the reference to the punk kid making $200k. The problem with saying that is that this punk kid may never make more than $30k per year the rest of his life. That was always the problem with this system. The big football linebacker that doesn’t make the show, and never learned to read, but somehow got through 4 years of college. In an ideal world, education would have been placed first and the kids would all pile into the Stanfords of the world, but for some reason, that does not happen. The simple reason is greed, and selfishness. Well, at least this new system will at least align a more accurate form of payment to the players. 

23 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Sounds like a person problem. Classy to call him a punk. It sounds like he got what he is worth if someone paid it.

A lot of out of touch posters struggling with this concept. The players are being paid their (perceived) worth, and yes, rich boosters have been paying the good ones for decades. Doing ROI exercises tells me you are making this a little too complicated. They are paying a player to wear their jersey and hopefully win a lot of games. These guys have also watched sports before, and are aware that outcomes are not guaranteed. I think they’ll be fine.

Would be great if there was a dedicated NIL thread for those who still need to complain or work through their feelings on the subject ad nauseam.

9 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

A lot of out of touch posters struggling with this concept. The players are being paid their (perceived) worth, and yes, rich boosters have been paying the good ones for decades. Doing ROI exercises tells me you are making this a little too complicated. They are paying a player to wear their jersey and hopefully win a lot of games. These guys have also watched sports before, and are aware that outcomes are not guaranteed. I think they’ll be fine.

Would be great if there was a dedicated NIL thread for those who still need to complain or work through their feelings on the subject ad nauseam.

They’re in their feelings because 20 year olds who are “only” good at basketball make more money than them. The funniest part is these are some of the same people paying $1,000+ per year to watch said 20 year olds play basketball.

slufan13 and rgbilliken like this

Conceptually it is very interesting though. I certainly supported players getting paid when you saw the increases in tv contracts, pay for coaches, and spending on facilities, I just think it would have been better had the conferences come together to figure out an approach or framework on the front end (I know they could have and didn’t, so I realize they failed to do so). Now it really is a Wild West situation with everyone chasing, but I am sure it will normalize at some point for reasons folks are pointing out. I will certainly continue to pay for season tickets, but no chance I’d be willing to kick $ (of significance) to players. There are a lot better outlets for my $ that I’ll be getting no monetary return on (travel, charity, adding to my collection of ancient sex toys, etc.) than paying a college athlete/any athlete. It just seems like a really strange way for one to spend money, but I have thought that prior to the past 6+ months seeing some of the big donors across the country. I’d be fine if some of my season ticket cost whether it be the ticket cost or the donation went to players (I feel similarly about other revenue streams funneling to players), but that’s the extent of it for me and that’s not significant $. And I have some fairly significant holes in my personality. Someone would really need to sell me on why I’d ever pay the salary of a college athlete or any athlete for that matter again beyond a % of whatever I spend as a fan finding its way to players. I guess if you have a billion dollars you truly don’t care? I also don’t give a rip if Yuri makes more $ than me this year, I’d love that for him and I’ll give him my wife’s business card to help him manage that money wisely. I just don’t understand who would be willing to pay him that. Like how do you justify that decision to yourself or your spouse? Sorry babe, lil’ Austin will have to go to public school, I just threw $20k to a kid I have no relation to who plays for the basketball team we are fans of.

That is exactly the point everyone sees but few want to acknowledge. You have a players market, lots of players, all with agents, all with talent, all the agents have lawyers. All of these people want money and all that get a sponsor will get money. How much is left for the player (after taxes) is an interesting question. These hopeful players and agents are all chasing after what has to be a small group of people with enough money to throw away. So, let's say you are one of the lucky ones that finds an interested donor. So far so good, now you are making a lot more money than most people do. Then comes stage 2, "I really deserve more than what I am getting", let's renegotiate...

Stage 2 comes in many flavors, for example: why are these kids in football or basketball getting money?, why is no one paying similar or equal amounts for soccer players?, or volleyball players?, or track runners?, the list goes on and on. Another flavor is why did this guy get money and I did not? Or why are male players getting money and females players are not?

Who is going to be sued for this lack of equality, or this lack of interest in certain sports or genders? How about the donors, they have lots of money why are  they not giving me some?

Most important of it all is this, what are the donors getting out of this? Are they getting value for their money? There are too many possible complications and risks inherent in doing this kind of thing, and there is too little in terms of tangible profit that the donors can get out of doing this. I have no idea how long this will last, but I think this is the wrong starting line for such a change to really take hold and define college sports in a novel way.

54 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Conceptually it is very interesting though. I certainly supported players getting paid when you saw the increases in tv contracts, pay for coaches, and spending on facilities, I just think it would have been better had the conferences come together to figure out an approach or framework on the front end (I know they could have and didn’t, so I realize they failed to do so). Now it really is a Wild West situation with everyone chasing, but I am sure it will normalize at some point for reasons folks are pointing out. I will certainly continue to pay for season tickets, but no chance I’d be willing to kick $ (of significance) to players. There are a lot better outlets for my $ that I’ll be getting no monetary return on (travel, charity, adding to my collection of ancient sex toys, etc.) than paying a college athlete. It just seems like a really strange way for one to spend money, but I have thought that prior to the past 6+ months seeing some of the big donors across the country. I’d be fine if some of my season ticket cost whether it be the ticket cost or the donation went to players (I feel similarly about other revenue streams funneling to players), but that’s the extent of it for me and that’s not significant $. And I have some fairly significant holes in my personality. Someone would really need to sell me on why I’d ever pay the salary of a college athlete or any athlete for that matter again beyond a % of whatever I spend as a fan finding its way to players. I guess if you have a billion dollars you truly don’t care? I also don’t give a rip if Yuri makes more $ than me this year, I’d love that for him and I’ll give him my wife’s business card to help him manage that money wisely. I just don’t understand who would be willing to pay him that. Like how do you justify that decision to yourself or your spouse? Sorry babe, lil’ Austin will have to go to public school, I just threw $20k to a kid I have no relation to who plays for the basketball team we are fans of.

Ancient sex toys?

22 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Most important of it all is this, what are the donors getting out of this? Are they getting value for their money?

This is my primary question, but that would go to folks who were paying players even before the rule change and folks doing it at even earlier/lower levels. Folks have to have some significant holes in their personalities or just have so much money they are looking for ways to give it away, right? What happens if you commit to and pay a kid who ends up sucking, you keep throwing that money out in the future? I was hoping it would look much more like some sort of revenue share and then guys doing the little stuff trying to advertise products and such. I am just curious of the sales pitch. Like for me I don’t overly care if our point guard next year is Yuri vs. Rob Martin as in I’m still attending the same number of games and have the same interest level.

23 minutes ago, Old guy said:

That is exactly the point everyone sees but few want to acknowledge. You have a players market, lots of players, all with agents, all with talent, all the agents have lawyers. All of these people want money and all that get a sponsor will get money. How much is left for the player (after taxes) is an interesting question. These hopeful players and agents are all chasing after what has to be a small group of people with enough money to throw away. So, let's say you are one of the lucky ones that finds an interested donor. So far so good, now you are making a lot more money than most people do. Then comes stage 2, "I really deserve more than what I am getting", let's renegotiate...

Stage 2 comes in many flavors, for example: why are these kids in football or basketball getting money?, why is no one paying similar or equal amounts for soccer players?, or volleyball players?, or track runners?, the list goes on and on. Another flavor is why did this guy get money and I did not? Or why are male players getting money and females players are not?

Who is going to be sued for this lack of equality, or this lack of interest in certain sports or genders? How about the donors, they have lots of money why are  they not giving me some?

Most important of it all is this, what are the donors getting out of this? Are they getting value for their money? There are too many possible complications and risks inherent in doing this kind of thing, and there is too little in terms of tangible profit that the donors can get out of doing this. I have no idea how long this will last, but I think this is the wrong starting line for such a change to really take hold and define college sports in a novel way.

Some donor who is really into soccer may very well be willing to pay for a player(s).  That is the beauty of the this crazy situation.  The schools are not the ones paying or at least they are not suppose to be.  So, they do not have to worry about equality of pay or who is not getting anything.  Apparently it is all on the donor/booster who signs the contract with a player and the school can simply claim the Sargent Schultz line.

I have no problem with the players getting as much as they can. They should just do this by getting  money from ticket sales and tv/internet revenue like every other pro sports league.  The whole situation has really exposed what a pile of crap the NCAA was hiding with their “amateur” athletes setup.