Perkins is back

JMM28

18 hours ago, ARon said:

Knowing he could be as low as 7th in the rotation next year could easily have had a lot to do with it yes.

I agree with your post but to be good enough to play in the NBA Jordan needs to be good enough to beat out the other players for a starting spot.

It starts with a summer of hard work and determination of learning how to create a shot getting stronger and honing in his 3 point shot.

Jordan has coaches and 2 teammates, Perkins and Jimerson, that can help him get better.

If Jordan greatly improves over the summer our team will be really good.

Duff Man likes this

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Do we think Yuri's APG increases or decreases with Perk back? 

I still believe we see Yuri run the vast majority of the offense just with increased efficiency. The 8/game mark oughta be blown out of the water

May be a wash with JP in the lineup.  While he shoots at a higher clip, it may offset with how he creates his own shot. 

27 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Do we think Yuri's APG increases or decreases with Perk back? 

I still believe we see Yuri run the vast majority of the offense just with increased efficiency. The 8/game mark oughta be blown out of the water

Decreases.  Yuri's usage rate will go down. Jimerson, who was the primary beneficiary of his assists, will become a secondary scoring option.  Perkins, as the primary scoring option, will generate a lot of his own offense.

The coaching staff will add a combo guard who will also help with ball handling and playmaking responsibilities.  Between Yuri and combo guard to be named later the total assists will go up, which is what's important.

slufanskip and BilliesBy40 like this

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Decreases.  Yuri's usage rate will go down. Jimerson, who was the primary beneficiary of his assists, will become a secondary scoring option.  Perkins, as the primary scoring option, will generate a lot of his own offense.

The coaching staff will add a combo guard who will also help with ball handling and playmaking responsibilities.  Between Yuri and combo guard to be named later the total assists will go up, which is what's important.

Not sure I agree with this. I see him hitting Perkins on the break and in the middle of any zones we face hitting the mid range jumper. 

Bills By 40 likes this

9 minutes ago, willie said:

Not sure I agree with this. I see him hitting Perkins on the break and in the middle of any zones we face hitting the mid range jumper. 

Yuri did all of that the previous year.  But his usage rate wasn't nearly as high because Goodwin and French shared ballhandling and playmaking responsibilities, averaging 3.9 apg and 2.4 apg respectively.  The reason Yuri's assists spiked this year is because he was doing a job formerly handled by 3 people.  His turnovers spiked for the same reason.

Does anybody know what our fast break percentage was this year?  Overall and then in conference games?  As compared to previous years?  Up or down in comparison?  I ask because defense triggers turnovers and rebounds coupled with strong outlet passes both lead to more fast breaks and most seem to agree that our defense was mediocre at best and our reboundign suffered in comparison to years past.

58 minutes ago, DOC said:

What he needs is to cut down on his turnovers. Assist will be there for the taking with this bunch

Yuri is the primary ball-handler for sure ..... but Ford needs to figure out how to make the team less Yuri centric in developing scoring plays.  A top notch ball-handling combo guard obviously helps do that.  This year's team bogged down a lot with Yuri being caught at the end of the shooting clock with no good shot and defenders swamping him.  Yuri dribbling around for 15 - 20 seconds in the front court happened way too often.  IMO.  

BilliesBy40 likes this

31 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Yuri is the primary ball-handler for sure ..... but Ford needs to figure out how to make the team less Yuri centric in developing scoring plays.  A top notch ball-handling combo guard obviously helps do that.  This year's team bogged down a lot with Yuri being caught at the end of the shooting clock with no good shot and defenders swamping him.  Yuri dribbling around for 15 - 20 seconds in the front court happened way too often.  IMO.  

And how do we not have alley oop plays in the half court. Yuri can place the pass exactly where it needs to be. All his teammates need to do is get above the rim. Why always cut through the defense when you can go over the top of it on occasion?

Bills By 40 likes this

4 hours ago, willie said:

I'm with you, Willie. Yeah Javonte can create his own shots but with a PG like Yuri he'll seldom be left with the need to do so. I also anticipate our PPG to increase, which may sound crazy, but I stand by that. 

I'm with 3 star in that I think his assists will go down. I've stated this numerous times. That's not a bad thing. As good as Yuri is,  having some help from a combo guard and a player like Perk who isn't completely dependent on Yuri to put him in position to score will help Yuri become more efficient. People complained about Yuri dribbling too much and he did under normal circumstances but he had NO ONE that could score consistently unless Yuri set them up. 

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm with 3 star in that I think his assists will go down. I've stated this numerous times. That's not a bad thing. As good as Yuri is,  having some help from a combo guard and a player like Perk who isn't completely dependent on Yuri to put him in position to score will help Yuri become more efficient. People complained about Yuri dribbling too much and he did under normal circumstances but he had NO ONE that could score consistently unless Yuri set them up. 

That's exactly right - nobody to create their own shot. Now hopefully we'll have two with Perk and Parker.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

That's exactly right - nobody to create their own shot. Now hopefully we'll have two with Perk and Parker.

I also think Thatch was starting show some ability to get to the rim on his own as the year wore on. 

15 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I also think Thatch was starting show some ability to get to the rim on his own as the year wore on. 

On some level we're going to have to be patient with Perkins as this may be the trajectory he has as far as athletic ability goes. Although it'll have a higher floor and ceiling.

AGB91 likes this