Perkins is back

JMM28

45 minutes ago, ACE said:

Awesome! Next year, with Parker, we'll now have two guys who can score at all three levels - which we lacked this past season.

Time to get a combo guard to help out Yuri, a big who can rebound and play D and then a defensive stopper to help Fred out in the toughness department.

I thought we had two this year, so now 3 next year.  I would say Gibson could, and did, score at all three levels this year, a big improvement over his prior years as pretty much just a 3 pt gunner.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Not sure the real point of this. Statistically a higher rated player performs better than  a lower rated player. 

I have a great book I used in college and in my professional life, 'How to Lie with Statistics'. 

I think my point has been made. Too many MBM's are all wrapped up in HS Star ratings.  I don't give a krap about HS stars.  Give me a player.  I'll take our 2* Perkins over our departed 4* Nesbitt.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

I have a great book I used in college and in my professional life, 'How to Lie with Statistics'. 

I think my point has been made. Too many MBM's are all wrapped up in HS Star ratings.  I don't give a krap about HS stars.  Give me a player.  I'll take our 2* Perkins over our departed 4* Nesbitt.

knowing the outcome of Perkins makes that easy to say.  But if you have 2 kids, ones a 2* and ones a 4*, more times than not the 4* will be better. 

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I want 2 stars who develop playing 30 minutes a game at another school.  I have no interest watching 2 stars languish at the end of our bench.  Because that's what happens the vast majority of the time.

Markhi Strickland could have possibly developed into a monster playing at a Southern conference school, for example.  He wouldn't have to worry about shotblockers and he wouldn't be out of place as a four-man.  In the process, he would have gotten a lot more experience handling the ball.  But in a conference where he's just an athletic tweener, where there are better options on his own team, he is rightly excluded from the rotation.

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don’t even know what your point is.

Star rankings aren’t perfect but it’s a good guide. 

Im super excited Perkins is coming back because he is an established star. We know he is a stud.

I’d be willing to bet Kansas and Duke wouldn’t trade their roster of 4/5 star players for a roster of 2 star players.

If the Bills recruit two guys and 1 is a 4 star and 1 is a 2 star I am going to be more excited about the 4 star because most of the time they are the better player. To not admit this is just being dishonest.

36 minutes ago, bauman said:

I thought we had two this year, so now 3 next year.  I would say Gibson could, and did, score at all three levels this year, a big improvement over his prior years as pretty much just a 3 pt gunner.

He definitely improved his versatility, but almost all of his scoring has generated by Yuri - in other words Perk and Parker based on video, are capable of creating their shot at all three levels. Gibby could do backdoor cuts and get some layups, but he's not going to beat his guy off the dribble - that's what we were lacking this past season.

slufanskip likes this

8 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-this is great news but I am trying very hard to temper my expectations with him coming off the injury

-I don't know when we will see the JPerk we saw in March 2021 but I do look forward to that

I'll take Perk at 90% of what he was - that's still a hell of a player.

13 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'll take Perk at 90% of what he was - that's still a hell of a player.

85, 80, 75...still a great player at 3/4 of his previous ceiling. 

I'd bet with his drive and potential, SLU's personnel facilities and funding, and all the hype that we get a 100% Javonte at BARE MINIMUM by conference play. It's easier than ever to come back from an ACL injury. 

dennis_w likes this

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

He definitely improved his versatility, but almost all of his scoring has generated by Yuri - in other words Perk and Parker based on video, are capable of creating their shot at all three levels. Gibby could do backdoor cuts and get some layups, but he's not going to beat his guy off the dribble - that's what we were lacking this past season.

Gibson will benefit from not receiving the opposing team's best defensive stopper. 

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If a Davidson had enough balls for Lee, Loyer, and Bracovich, we surely have enough balls for Gibby and ther Perkolator. Use them wisely, Travis. 

I just want to see Perkins give Lee 30 next year. I still have a bad taste in my mouth after those two Ls

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-this is great news but I am trying very hard to temper my expectations with him coming off the injury

-I don't know when we will see the JPerk we saw in March 2021 but I do look forward to that

This will be overriding theme here in MBMoronland thru mid November @ least   

4 hours ago, ARon said:

Knowing he could be as low as 7th in the rotation next year could easily have had a lot to do with it yes.

Just to be clear, the thought process in this hypothetical scenario is that Nesbitt was so worried about losing playing time to a teammate returning from an ACL injury that he entered the NBA draft?

30 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Just to be clear, the thought process in this hypothetical scenario is that Nesbitt was so worried about losing playing time to a teammate returning from an ACL injury that he entered the NBA draft?

In a scenario where the kid wants to play a feature role and is told by Ford that probably isn’t going to happen before ‘23-‘24. And if anything he may play less minutes next year. Yeah I could see that being the impetus try to move on.

I liked to play golf, but several years ago I blew my left knee. The problem was that I was improving my drive and have arthritis. I blew the knee playing golf. The L ankle did not have rotation enough for my improved drive so all the rotation went to my knee. The knee swelled to the size of a cantaloupe and the leg below the knee was equally swollen. I could hardly walk in anything but flat grounds and floors. I did not have surgery, only PT and I have been walking fine for about 3 years now. However, whenever I try to drive a golf ball, the ball goes nowhere. I can put with no problems and my irons play is still OK but not the woods. Yes, I am old, and no I do not wish to have a cantaloupe size left knee again.

Let's wait and see how well Perkins manages to play next season before we start dreaming about a top ranking team in D1. Just be aware that whatever he wanted to find out, possibly about professional play, he most likely did find out. He is back because it is the correct choice for him, the one with potentially the highest payoff for him. Now, all he has to do is to fully recover to the prior level of play...

31 minutes ago, ARon said:

In a scenario where the kid wants to play a feature role and is told by Ford that probably isn’t going to happen before ‘23-‘24. And if anything he may play less minutes next year. Yeah I could see that being the impetus try to move on.

If you're worried about minutes you move on via the Transfer Portal not the NBA Draft

In also following my wife's U TN I've gotten acquainted with the Star Ratings. Rick Barnes has recruited some 5 Star players. One Josiah Jordan James was a Jr this year and he finally showed a lot of promise this season. I expect him back next year, but won't be surprised if he does a NBA evaluation. Last year he had two Frosh 5 Stars who were both one and done. This year the Vols had one 5 Star PG Kennedy Chandler. At the beginning of this year he was constantly in Barnes dog house. The end of the year it was obvious that CRB did a great job in coaching up KC. The problem is he has more than likely helped his draft position and won't be back. I'd agree the star ratings don't guarantee a great player...JJJ took 3 years to develop. I will say this the athletic talent these kids exhibit in the first year is definitely better than 2 or 3 Star players in their Frosh year. Having said that I'd love to see KC back in Knoxville next year, but the $3M+ he'll likely sign with a NBA team make that very doubtful.

The Javonte Perkins knee blowout killed my enthusiasm for this team. Hopefully, it wasn’t too bad and surgery mended the problem. He is the team player and step up finisher we lacked. I hope the three recruits and whoever Coach Ford chooses can get this team back to the pre injury level of expectation we need to support the team financially. We need some deep pockets and lots of generous ones. We have some work to do as boosters. Our on the floor miked cheerleader needs a microphone that works with or without a Covid mask