Jordan Nesbitt enters the NBA draft

wgstl

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

You’re missing the overall point I think. Yes, he could make more money flipping burgers, but he doesn’t get the free, high-level coaching 7 days a week that he would get in the G-League.  He’ll also be playing 50ish games against high level competition.    He won’t be paying rent, whatever team he signs with will put him up somewhere. Will it be a luxurious lifestyle?  Not at all. But if he’s looking at it as an investment in himself, I can see why he would do it. 

Do I agree with his decision?  No. I think he could improve his game at SLU to the point where he has a chance at the NBA or at least a larger overseas contract (and get his degree to boot).  But I can see why he would want to pursue the G-League for the reasons above.  As someone else mentioned, Jordan is exactly the type of high potential player the G-League is trying to lure away. 

Which I could understand if he was a guy that didn't have a kid.

He has to pay rent in the off season.  He has to pay to join a gym in the off season.  He has to pay for a trainer in the off season.  He has to pay for a coach in the off season.  He has to cover his own medical expenses in the off season.  Add in taxes, his agents cut of the contract and the money the state will collect from everyone of his paychecks to cover the expenses they endured from the birth of his child/the support they provided after the child was born/future child support............ well the $37,000 from the G-League will be gone before he sees any money from that contract. 

30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The point I am trying to make is that if you need money to better your personal situation, the G-League is not the answer.  With inflation increasing the cost of food and rent, Jordan is better off staying in college where those things are covered for basketball players.

The base salary in the G-League is $7000 a month or $35,000 for a 5 month season.  And he has a pretty long offseason to make money elsewhere playing basketball.  McDonald's ain't competing with that.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The base salary in the G-League is $7000 a month or $35,000 for a 5 month season.  And he has a pretty long offseason to make money elsewhere playing basketball.  McDonald's ain't competing with that.

Hear me out, he plays ball for 5 months, and then works at McDonalds in the offseason to pay for the other stuff.

kshoe likes this

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

did minutes just "open up"?   or have they already been promised to parker, or kramer or perkins, etc.   all i know is that right now i think ford needs perkins like crazy and he needs parker to be a star.   some of you are downplaying nesbit's move, i am not.   this is not good for the billikens imo.  

I think it's nothing more than a leverage move on his part to get some NIL money...get used to college sports being nothing more than professional minor league teams...i'm afraid my days of being a college fan are numbered....people need to get used to the insanity or find something else to do with their spare time...

1 minute ago, dlarry said:

Best of both worlds. 
basketball for 5 months free McRibs and McNuggets the other 7. 

this McDonalds talk the past hour made me go get a few McChicken's for lunch. 

Potential NIL deal ?

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I've been closely following the Billikens since my freshman year. I'm a senior now. In my time, I've witnessed the Carte'are debacle, COVID ruining very promising seasons, Javonte going down, and now our most promising player leaving for the draft after one year of averaging 8 ppg. Not to mention losing to our closest rival (Dayton) more often than not and seeing teams with comparable spending to us make the tournament regularly. It's been a painful few years for someone that's really only been a Cardinals fan their whole life

Go back just a few more years and you have S1 and S2, the Crews years, and the Majerus teams never making it to the second weekend. Credit to guys like @billiken_roythat've been here for decades because I don't know how you've done it. 

I'm still going to get season tickets starting next year and will support the program regardless, but man I gotta get used to being a Billiken fan. Somebody queue up the Dolphin. 

I gotta tell ya - if you thought Nesbitt was our most promising player you were watching a different game than I was. If you think losing a guy like Nesbitt is bad you really are in for a rough ride.

My opinion - he was fine, he took up some minutes.  There's a boatload of guys in the NCAA who can do what he did this season - there's a similar boatload who can be better than him. If TF cant find those guys we have a problem.

Supremely Athletic? yes. But he's missing alot in my books. Look at the way a guy like JP controls his body, the ball and his shot selection on the court. Nesbitt didn't show any ability to do any of that, and I didn't seem much progress on it which is worrying.

bauman and NextYearBill like this

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He would have time to play in Puerto Rico.  Which used be be a good payday, but it isn't really anymore.  Because of salary caps and the league lowering the minimum salary, a player at Nesbitt's experience and current productivity is going to pick up about an extra $3,000 in Puerto Rico.  That combined with his G-League money is less than he would make starting at at the McDonald's by my house that according to the sign on their window last week is offering $20 an hour.

The guys that make the bigger money in Puerto Rico are the in their prime Conklin types.  Even then the pay is half of what it was there  five years ago.

11 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Weird person to have a strong opinion on but would love to hear more about him being a hypocrite 

Dude whines on and on about the evils of corporate logos in sports but his website is an endless stream of ads, including ads that flash larger and cause you to click on them inadvertently.

What's weirder is you marking random posts by me as troll posts.

14 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I think it's nothing more than a leverage move on his part to get some NIL money...get used to college sports being nothing more than professional minor league teams...i'm afraid my days of being a college fan are numbered....people need to get used to the insanity or find something else to do with their spare time...

I suspect a lot of casual fans will just tune it all out during the offseason and then ask in November who is on the team and are "we" supposed to be good. It's an easy way to ignore the ever-growing business side of the sport.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Plus free McRibs once or twice a year, free Shamrock shakes in March, and all the fries you can eat year round.

I consider this site to be a trust tree. Well, on Friday I saw an advertisement for the Shamrock Shake, so being an incredibly healthy middle aged man with full control over my impulses, I jumped in my car and went straight to the McDs near my house. They did not have the Shamrock Shake! I think the lady said the machine wasn't on/working or something of that nature. I was emotionally crying, so i didn't hear the full explanations and somehow cried out just a Filet-O-Fish meal.

I guess to keep it on topic, it will be interesting to see what happens with Nesbitt over the next few months.

dlarry and Pistol like this

"I gotta tell ya - if you thought Nesbitt was our most promising player you were watching a different game than I was. If you think losing a guy like Nesbitt is bad you really are in for a rough ride."

Not sure I completely agree with that.  First, for a freshman he played more than any other freshman and more than probably any of the incoming freshmen.  That alone makes him one of, if not "the" most promising player coming along in the program.  While I agree with much of the criticism of his offensive game, his athletic ability alone made him a very good defender for being a freshman.  And while I'm excited about the incoming freshmen, I don't think they have the upside potential that Jordan has.  

But more than just the impact on the court, I don't like the message and image it sends.  I assume we want the best high school talent to come to SLU, stay at SLU, and succeed at SLU.  If Jordan doesn't come back, I don't think we can say it about him.  And again, while I'm excited about the incoming freshman, I'm not sure we can say they are the best high school talent in the area this year.  It is harder to make that argument to high school players we want when we don't have a track record we can point to.  This puts even more pressure on Perkins.  We really need him to come back and excel, not only for the good of next year's team but because of the larger branding of the program.

12 minutes ago, milwaukeebill said:

I gotta tell ya - if you thought Nesbitt was our most promising player you were watching a different game than I was. If you think losing a guy like Nesbitt is bad you really are in for a rough ride.

My opinion - he was fine, he took up some minutes.  There's a boatload of guys in the NCAA who can do what he did this season - there's a similar boatload who can be better than him. If TF cant find those guys we have a problem.

Supremely Athletic? yes. But he's missing alot in my books. Look at the way a guy like JP controls his body, the ball and his shot selection on the court. Nesbitt didn't show any ability to do any of that, and I didn't seem much progress on it which is worrying.

It's not often that SLU gets top-50 recruits. The numbers he put up this year isn't what made him promising to me; it was the crazy plays he would occasionally pull off. The putback dunks, scoring through two guys, singlehandedly keeping us alive at the end of the game against Belmont, etc... I could see throughout the season that he had the ability to score at 3 levels, defend at a high level, and had great court vision (I don't think his passing gets enough attention). 

You're right, he did play out of control, but he's a freshman. When Javonte came here, he was two years older and already had more time to hone his game. Jordan had potential to be Billiken all-timer with more experience, and I was hoping/expecting that to come to fruition next season. That's why I'm so disappointed. 

Writing off Nesbitt as just an athlete that wasn't going to improve is not an accurate analysis. 

billiken_roy likes this

11 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I suspect a lot of casual fans will just tune it all out during the offseason and then ask in November who is on the team and are "we" supposed to be good. It's an easy way to ignore the ever-growing business side of the sport.

It's like the stock market right now... You follow every day, and you'll probably be pissed. Let it go and check in 1-6 months, you'll be a lot more grounded and it'll (probably) all look okay.

MichaelC and BuiltFordBills like this

42 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

You’re missing the overall point I think. Yes, he could make more money flipping burgers, but he doesn’t get the free, high-level coaching 7 days a week that he would get in the G-League.  He’ll also be playing 50ish games against high level competition.    He won’t be paying rent, whatever team he signs with will put him up somewhere. Will it be a luxurious lifestyle?  Not at all. But if he’s looking at it as an investment in himself, I can see why he would do it. 

Do I agree with his decision?  No. I think he could improve his game at SLU to the point where he has a chance at the NBA or at least a larger overseas contract (and get his degree to boot).  But I can see why he would want to pursue the G-League for the reasons above.  As someone else mentioned, Jordan is exactly the type of high potential player the G-League is trying to lure away. 

Do you really think getting a degree has any attraction for Nezz?   Does he strike you as a guy who wants to be a student?  Do we even know his current  SLU student status?  Do any of us really know the entire SBU cheerleader story?  Do we know that the impetus for this wasn't Ford's doing?

Prediction:  This is not going to turn out well for JN .  He might become just the latest "star ability" basketball player to wind up looking back at a terrible decision to turn down an opportunity to play at home where his support system resides.  (CB,  CAG , JN?)

Another point that hasn't been mentioned: losing Nesbitt further exasperates the need for another guard with ball-handling abilities. I could trust Jordan to bring the ball up when Yuri was being pressured hard. Now, I don't think there's anybody on the team that could handle that role. Maybe Thatch, but I wouldn't want to heavily rely on him for it.

9 minutes ago, bauman said:

Do you really think getting a degree has any attraction for Nezz?   Does he strike you as a guy who wants to be a student?  

He did go to one of those fake high schools. 

10 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

It's like the stock market right now... You follow every day, and you'll probably be pissed. Let it go and check in 1-6 months, you'll be a lot more grounded and it'll (probably) all look okay.

Good analogy. I check my portfolio every day and yeah pretty much leaves me pissed every day.

In the past, I would be freaked out about this, but my initial reaction was pretty ambivalent. Thinking about why that was my reaction... first, this has just become a normal part of college basketball. I'm pretty numb to players leaving now. Secondly, Nesbitt has always had some drama surrounding him going to back to his recruitment and subsequent transfer to SLU. I recall calling him Toolbit when he originally committed to Memphis - haha!

Nesbitt certainly flashed some good things and I think gave a pretty good effort, but the lack of development in the second half of the season was disappointing. His playmaking ability and ability as a 2nd pg was touted on this board, but I never really saw that, aside from the occasional flashy pass. I thought his rebounding was one of the best parts of his game, but too much questionable decision making. He never seemed like the type who was destined to be a 4-year player. As has been pointed out, he's got a lot of responsibilities in his personal life, so this move makes sense for him. Plus, I think it's been pointed out that he is already 20, so not the age of your typical freshman. I just don't think his ceiling is all that great. The portal is heating up, Ford can add talent. We have several options at his position including Parker coming in. We'll be fine.

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I've been closely following the Billikens since my freshman year. I'm a senior now. In my time, I've witnessed the Carte'are debacle, COVID ruining very promising seasons, Javonte going down, and now our most promising player leaving for the draft after one year of averaging 8 ppg. Not to mention losing to our closest rival (Dayton) more often than not and seeing teams with comparable spending to us make the tournament regularly. It's been a painful few years for someone that's really only been a Cardinals fan their whole life

Go back just a few more years and you have S1 and S2, the Crews years, and the Majerus teams never making it to the second weekend. Credit to guys like @billiken_roythat've been here for decades because I don't know how you've done it. 

I'm still going to get season tickets starting next year and will support the program regardless, but man I gotta get used to being a Billiken fan. Somebody queue up the Dolphin. 

I did not want to give this a "Good Post," because of the subject matter, but, yes, welcome to Billiken fandom.

50 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

thnx thought that sounded off