Jordan Nesbitt enters the NBA draft

wgstl

20 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

evans?   now that is a "not even close" example.   very very good basketball player, but i think that speaks to evans soundness and fundamentals than all the little things that separate good from great imo.   i guess i am saying great equals all the above,   and evans wasnt the athlete either hughes or nesbitt were/are imo.   he was a good athlete, but i dont remember individual plays like i do hughes and nesbitt for having.  

It's not a track meet or how high you can jump. If it was Sekue  would win . Sorry but I think Nesbitt has been oversold on this board from day one. 

HoosierPal and slufanskip like this

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, willie said:

It's not a track meet or how high you can jump. If it was Sekue  would win . Sorry but I think Nesbitt has been oversold on this board from day one. 

I think Penny felt the same way. He didn’t seem upset when JNez decamped from Messphis.

4 minutes ago, willie said:

Agreed. I think some people are really over-thinking it or using it to advance their anti-Ford agenda. Nesbitt has a young kid, wanted to come back home, Ford gladly took on an athletic, yet unpolished player. I don't blame him for doing that. Nesbitt made us a better team, but he was not a huge difference maker that I think some fans were expecting. And fans should not be surprised or disappointed that he only played for one year. Nesbitt never seemed like the kind of kid who was going to have a long career. Just be glad we had him for one year and move on.

slufanskip likes this

51 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

imo hard to compare.   different coaching philosophies make a huge difference.   while i dont want to replace ford, imo the only aspect of running a team he exceeds spoon on is recruiting.   spoon beats him at every other aspect and thus hughes would have undoubtedly been used better, assisted better and developed better by having spoon as his coach over nesbitt having ford.   

dont get me wrong, larry ended up with a fantastic nba career so he was indeed a likely better player but i would not try to say "he's nowhere near the talent".  nesbitt had some instances of passes, dunks and big moments that we havent seen since hughes.   consistentcy?   not close.  but who's fault is that?

I would say Nesbitt’s fault.  He could have shined had he choose to play within a team.  He didn’t that’s why he was on the bench so much.  Maybe Nesbitt could have done better under a different coach.  Penny recruited over him pretty quick.  I went to the Memphis game.  It was pretty clear on the court why Nesbitt left Memphis.  He wasn’t going to get many minutes there.  I was hoping Jordan would stay and develop into a great player.  Nobody doubts the talent being there.   But I’ll stick with my observation that it’s a pretty big gap between he and Larry.

33 minutes ago, willie said:

Yes and no.   Yes you don't have to be an Olympic high jumper to be a good basketball player but I think the examples of being a great basketball player and also not a super athlete are few and far between.   My guess is the reason Ford has recruited the athletes is he thinks he can make them basketball players.

32 minutes ago, ACE said:

Agreed. I think some people are really over-thinking it or using it to advance their anti-Ford agenda. Nesbitt has a young kid, wanted to come back home, Ford gladly took on an athletic, yet unpolished player. I don't blame him for doing that. Nesbitt made us a better team, but he was not a huge difference maker that I think some fans were expecting. And fans should not be surprised or disappointed that he only played for one year. Nesbitt never seemed like the kind of kid who was going to have a long career. Just be glad we had him for one year and move on.

I am proven to be not a good evaluator of talent on this board and a proven team blue koolaide drinker, so I did a lot of over-thinking on Nesbitt and felt he had the talent this season to make up the loss of Perkins.  Wrong.

I also thought Nesbitt would improve as the season went on.  Wrong.

I also thought Nesbitt would be around for at least 2 seasons.  Wrong.

I am consistent.

I am glad that he came to SLU I wish he would stay and develop.

Happy Friday

3 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I am also intrigued re how TJ went from being 6'6" or 6'7" at East St. Louis Senior High to being listed at 6'4" at SLU.

😂 Because high school coaches love adding inches to their players.

4 hours ago, willie said:

I'm in agreement. The thought that Nesbitt is in the same ballpark as Larry was is laughable. 

AGB91 likes this

I will say that the second best athlete, ball player, whatever you want to call it since Larry is also the second most entertaining player since Larry....Willie Reed.

Entertaining dunks and blocks....even his smile and energy was entertaining.....heck he was entertaining when shooting free throws (albeit at a poor make rate).  No doubt in my mind....Willie Reed was the #2 most talented Billiken since Larry the Legend.

Granted his off court decisions cost him at SLU.  It cost him a contract he really, really, really should have accepted (choosing his agent is part of his decision making).  It ultimately cost him his NBA career.

Still...for that one year at SLU before things got sidetracked....Willie was the most entertaining, enjoyable, engaging, and talented player I had seen at SLU since Larry.

15 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

I will say that the second best athlete, ball player, whatever you want to call it since Larry is also the second most entertaining player since Larry....Willie Reed.

Entertaining dunks and blocks....even his smile and energy was entertaining.....heck he was entertaining when shooting free throws (albeit at a poor make rate).  No doubt in my mind....Willie Reed was the #2 most talented Billiken since Larry the Legend.

Granted his off court decisions cost him at SLU.  It cost him a contract he really, really, really should have accepted (choosing his agent is part of his decision making).  It ultimately cost him his NBA career.

Still...for that one year at SLU before things got sidetracked....Willie was the most entertaining, enjoyable, engaging, and talented player I had seen at SLU since Larry.

I actually thought about Reed when I said Evans. 

1 hour ago, SLU_Lax said:

At no point was Willie more entertaining/enjoyable/engaging/talented than Kwamain.

He was taller and he was more fit for the NBA but Kwam, but even when he advanced in his 2nd season he was still a long way (nearly 6 years) from playing in an NBA game.

If you want to rank the most entertaining/charismatic SLU players of the Chaifetz era, Willie isn't cracking the top 5.

9 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

At no point was Willie more entertaining/enjoyable/engaging/talented than Kwamain.

He was taller and he was more fit for the NBA but Kwam, but even when he advanced in his 2nd season he was still a long way (nearly 6 years) from playing in an NBA game.

If you want to rank the most entertaining/charismatic SLU players of the Chaifetz era, Willie isn't cracking the top 5.

Don’t agree. 

slufanskip likes this

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Don’t agree. 

which part? or all of the above?

At what point was Willie above Kwamain?

Willie's had a SLU career high 21 points with 8 rebounds in a win La Salle. Kwam had 25 points 4 assists 2 steals and 0 turnovers in that game.

Willie had 20 and 15 in a 12 point loss to Notre Dame when Kwam only had 14 points 3 assists w 4 turnovers....or perhaps you can cherry pick games from the lame duck CBI run when Willie was better than Kwam...

but overall from the moment Kwamain entered the fold through Willie's last game...Kwamain was always Batman to Willie's (at best) Robin

thetorch likes this

42 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Unpopular Opinion - Jon Smith was a better dunker than Willie.

More Unpopular Opinion - Ian was more fun to watch than Willie.

Most Unpopular Opinion - Cory was a more exciting shot blocker than Willie.

Posters look at Willie's post SLU playing career and think he was that player at SLU.  He wasn't.  He was a pogo stick.  That's it.  He caught lobs and got some weakside blocks.  His post moves were non existent, not a great defender, no shooting outside of 2 feet, couldn't pass and was a subpar rebounder.  Hats off to him, post SLU he got 5 times better as a player, gained about 40 lbs, became a good rebounder, PnR rim runnner.  He was never that player at SLU.

Most Entertaining/Charismatic/Good players of the post Larry era

1. Jett

2. J Good

3. Mitchell

4. Lisch

5. Has

Duff Man likes this

4 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Unpopular Opinion - Jon Smith was a better dunker than Willie.

More Unpopular Opinion - Ian was more fun to watch than Willie.

Most Unpopular Opinion - Cory was a more exciting shot blocker than Willie.

Posters look at Willie's post SLU playing career and think he was that player at SLU.  He wasn't.  He was a pogo stick.  That's it.  He caught lobs and got some weakside blocks.  His post moves were non existent, not a great defender, no shooting outside of 2 feet, couldn't pass and was a subpar rebounder.  Hats off to him, post SLU he got 5 times better as a player, gained about 40 lbs, became a good rebounder, PnR rim runnner.  He was never that player at SLU.

Most Entertaining/Charismatic/Good players of the post Larry era

1. Jett

2. J Good

3. Mitchell

4. Lisch

5. Has

I'd put Kwamain above Goodwin and Perkins and Collins (and Love and Perry) are in the mix...but yeah, I'm picking up what you're throwing down

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

Willie's had a SLU career high 21 points with 8 rebounds in a win La Salle. Kwam had 25 points 4 assists 2 steals and 0 turnovers in that game.

Willie had 20 and 15 in a 12 point loss to Notre Dame when Kwam only had 14 points 3 assists w 4 turnovers....or perhaps you can cherry pick games from the lame duck CBI run when Willie was better than Kwam...

but overall from the moment Kwamain entered the fold through Willie's last game...Kwamain was always Batman to Willie's (at best) Robin

When did this become who was the better player? Who was the more athletic ,dynamic player. Willie. Entertaining? Hell yes. Nothing more exciting than a huge block. 

I loved when Willy would go for the pump fake and still land and get back up for the dunk. He was unrefined for sure. I just personally really enjoyed watching him and was excited to see what his still developing potential would be.

I loved Willy celebrating with students. I actually only saw him play maybe 3 or 4 times after his freshman year.  Mostly in that summer tournament as other times he barely had PT. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Had Willie stuck around we’d have finally made our long sought after sweet 16 in 2012. We would have beat MSU in that 2nd round game with Willie. 

We may have been in the sweet 16 the year before.

3 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Picturing Willie in Robin's uniform :):)