Jordan Nesbitt enters the NBA draft

wgstl

We'll probably never know for sure, but I think it is quite possible that Ford entered this season expecting Nesbitt to only be here for one season - it would explain why he signed so many wings in the fall. Yes, Perk was slated to graduate so that would account for one of the spots, but to sign three wings is a lot.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, A10Ref said:

I understand the frustration and applaud your commitment to hanging in there.

There's a chance that the whole Bona/cheerleader debacle showed some true colors/ability to distract from nesbitt. I definitely will defend the kid for that incident, as no one knows what was said, but it wasn't a fun visual. Ford may be trimming the fat/players that won't work day in and day out on team blue, hard nosed basketball. If so, we are better next year (big if, but I am trying to look glass half full). Need guys to "buy-in", both those on the court and in suits on the sidelines.

Also, I need JP to announce he's returning ASAP. I beg for some good news in billiken land.

With regard to trimming the fat, I thought something similar to this before the season ended.  Ford seemed more frustrated than normal with certain members of this group and certain members of the group showed more dissent than I ever remember seeing.  With the passing of Coach Stuen, I think that Coach Ford might have just decided that life it too short to baby sit college kids not interested in being all in on a team concept.  Please don't read this statement as being about any particular player, because it is not.  I'm just saying that part of me expected Coach Ford to clean house after this season and to have a different approach to recruiting in the future.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

With regard to trimming the fact, I thought something similar to this before the season ended.  Ford seemed more frustrated than normal with certain members of this group and certain members of the group showed more dissent than I ever remember seeing.  With the passing of Coach Stuen, I think that Coach Ford might have just decided that life it too short to baby sit college kids not interested in being all in on a team concept.  Please don't read this statement as being about any particular player, because it is not.  I'm just saying that part of me expected Coach Ford to clean house after this season and to have a different approach to recruiting in the future.

agree completely

29 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I consider this site to be a trust tree. Well, on Friday I saw an advertisement for the Shamrock Shake, so being an incredibly healthy middle aged man with full control over my impulses, I jumped in my car and went straight to the McDs near my house. They did not have the Shamrock Shake! I think the lady said the machine wasn't on/working or something of that nature. I was emotionally crying, so i didn't hear the full explanations and somehow cried out just a Filet-O-Fish meal.

I guess to keep it on topic, it will be interesting to see what happens with Nesbitt over the next few months.

The shake machine is not working is usually BS.  I actually watched a show explaining why fast food restaurants say that and it is because it needs to be cleaned or refilled.

Google, “the shake machine is broken lie” and you can read about it, never believe them.

On topic I hope Jordan finds out what he needs to work on and applies that to next season to become a first round draft pick next season.

44 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Dude whines on and on about the evils of corporate logos in sports but his website is an endless stream of ads, including ads that flash larger and cause you to click on them inadvertently.

What's weirder is you marking random posts by me as troll posts.

Appreciate the insight. That is funny, and agree on it being hypocritical.

I believe the only posts of yours I marked as troll posts were you continuously re-hatching an old feud. 

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

We've always rooted for the uniforms but I agree the days of 4 year guys are loooong gone. Kind of sucks as college basketball was more fun when causal fans knew who would be on a team year over year. The idea that every season nearly every team will have 50% or more turnover is definitely a turn-off to many fans.

Yup. Goodwin and French were the last of a dying breed.

Better earn your salary, Ford.

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Don't watch NFL, NBA sucks, NHL not my cup of tea, NCAA football got no team to root for, now NCAA/Billiken basketball ...... boy, the recent changes by the Courts and the NCAA really screwed it up for the fans.  Think I'll go cycling instead.

California is what started it all. That damn place….

1 minute ago, Brighton said:

Yup. Goodwin and French were the last of a dying breed.

Better earn your salary, Ford.

I get what you're saying but last of a dying breed is a little dramatic. Yuri, Fred, Gibson, and TJ (knock on wood) are all going to be entering their 4th or 5th season with the program. 

9 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

So, if JP returns, we have 3 open spots? or 4? However many, need to fill with bigs/guards that are good enough to play right away.

At this point 3 open slots if JNezz leaves and Perk returns.

Hate to lose JNezz but Mama Hargrove's tweet after his post seems to confirm he's done here. Freshman starter averaging nearly 10 points a game. Electrifying potential, some good D. Ford and staff keep proving they can pull rabbits out of the hat recruiting, though.

2 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I've been closely following the Billikens since my freshman year. I'm a senior now. In my time, I've witnessed the Carte'are debacle, COVID ruining very promising seasons, Javonte going down, and now our most promising player leaving for the draft after one year of averaging 8 ppg. Not to mention losing to our closest rival (Dayton) more often than not and seeing teams with comparable spending to us make the tournament regularly. It's been a painful few years for someone that's really only been a Cardinals fan their whole life

Go back just a few more years and you have S1 and S2, the Crews years, and the Majerus teams never making it to the second weekend. Credit to guys like @billiken_roythat've been here for decades because I don't know how you've done it. 

I'm still going to get season tickets starting next year and will support the program regardless, but man I gotta get used to being a Billiken fan. Somebody queue up the Dolphin. 

Try this for 50+years. You sort of get use to it. 

53 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Another point that hasn't been mentioned: losing Nesbitt further exasperates the need for another guard with ball-handling abilities. I could trust Jordan to bring the ball up when Yuri was being pressured hard. Now, I don't think there's anybody on the team that could handle that role. Maybe Thatch, but I wouldn't want to heavily rely on him for it.

Losing Nesbitt would upgrade our need to from backup point guard to starting combo guard.  Which is actually an easier selling job.  Selling minutes is always how we've gotten our best players.

29 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

So, if JP returns, we have 3 open spots? or 4? However many, need to fill with bigs/guards that are good enough to play right away.

My wish list

1) Perk to return

2) A combo guard to help Yuri

3) A stretch big

4) A bulldog defender, a solid experienced role player off the bench willing to do a lot of the dirty work.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I suspect a lot of casual fans will just tune it all out during the offseason and then ask in November who is on the team and are "we" supposed to be good. It's an easy way to ignore the ever-growing business side of the sport.

Sounds downright healthy.

dlarry likes this

3 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I've been closely following the Billikens since my freshman year. I'm a senior now. In my time, I've witnessed the Carte'are debacle, COVID ruining very promising seasons, Javonte going down, and now our most promising player leaving for the draft after one year of averaging 8 ppg. Not to mention losing to our closest rival (Dayton) more often than not and seeing teams with comparable spending to us make the tournament regularly. It's been a painful few years for someone that's really only been a Cardinals fan their whole life

Go back just a few more years and you have S1 and S2, the Crews years, and the Majerus teams never making it to the second weekend. Credit to guys like @billiken_roythat've been here for decades because I don't know how you've done it. 

I'm still going to get season tickets starting next year and will support the program regardless, but man I gotta get used to being a Billiken fan. Somebody queue up the Dolphin. 

i have nowhere near the tenure of Roy but being a Detroit sports fan really prepared me for Billiken fandom hahahaha nothing will ever compare to somehow rooting for the early '00s Tigers teams 

billiken_roy likes this

48 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

i have nowhere near the tenure of Roy but being a Detroit sports fan really prepared me for Billiken fandom hahahaha nothing will ever compare to somehow rooting for the early '00s Tigers teams 

But, but you had the Russian 5 and multiple Cups only a few years before that  😥 (I mean that's assuming you're a hockey fan)

rgbilliken likes this

11 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

But, but you had the Russian 5 and multiple Cups only a few years before that  😥 (I mean that's assuming you're a hockey fan)

I WISH I was a hockey fan for this reason. Didn't grow up watching it. Grew up a die hard fan the tigers because Charlie Gehringer was my great uncle if anyone on here is old enough to know who that is lol and rooting for the Lions by proximity. Though I care about the NFL a lot less. 

I thought early on he showed a lot of promise and could be a really good player; however, as the season wore on I thought he regressed. Don't know what happened but he was not the same player. IMHO he has zero chance to make a NBA roster. I don't know that he is someone the Bills should count on for the 2022-23 season.

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I consider this site to be a trust tree. Well, on Friday I saw an advertisement for the Shamrock Shake, so being an incredibly healthy middle aged man with full control over my impulses, I jumped in my car and went straight to the McDs near my house. They did not have the Shamrock Shake! I think the lady said the machine wasn't on/working or something of that nature. I was emotionally crying, so i didn't hear the full explanations and somehow cried out just a Filet-O-Fish meal.

I guess to keep it on topic, it will be interesting to see what happens with Nesbitt over the next few months.

-I got sucked in by an ad for the Shamrock Shake and from my experience you are not missing anything

TheChosenOne likes this

4 hours ago, bauman said:

Do you really think getting a degree has any attraction for Nezz?   Does he strike you as a guy who wants to be a student?  Do we even know his current  SLU student status?  Do any of us really know the entire SBU cheerleader story?  Do we know that the impetus for this wasn't Ford's doing?

Prediction:  This is not going to turn out well for JN .  He might become just the latest "star ability" basketball player to wind up looking back at a terrible decision to turn down an opportunity to play at home where his support system resides.  (CB,  CAG , JN?)

No we don't know all the answers to the questions you posed but I don't believe Ford would have had anything to do with this.  Now do believe Ford told those players where the shoe fits that he expected them to work a lot harder in the off season then they had in the past.  I am not certain somebody posted a while back that academics were not an issue with JN.  The cheerleader thing was a nothing burger.