Jordan Nesbitt enters the NBA draft

wgstl

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I hope Hargrove sees the amount of minutes that just opened up in midtown.

This and he's local and has been attending his little brother's basketball games recently, he's a family guy, so I wouldn't expect him to go far if he goes anywhere.

51 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Welcome to the new world of NCAA basketball.  We root for the uniforms.

Don't watch NFL, NBA sucks, NHL not my cup of tea, NCAA football got no team to root for, now NCAA/Billiken basketball ...... boy, the recent changes by the Courts and the NCAA really screwed it up for the fans.  Think I'll go cycling instead.

VeniceMenace likes this

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Welcome to the new world of NCAA basketball.  We root for the uniforms.

As Paul Lukas of UniWatch says, we root for laundry. If all 13 SLU players magically transferred to Dayton and all 13 Dayton players magically transferred to SLU next year, I'm still rooting for SLU

1 minute ago, Deutschkind said:

As Paul Lukas of UniWatch says, we root for laundry. If all 13 SLU players magically transferred to Dayton and all 13 Dayton players magically transferred to SLU next year, I'm still rooting for SLU

Ugh that scenario makes me want to hurl.

SLU_Lax likes this

17 minutes ago, laker119 said:

I definitely thought it was possible Jordan could transfer, but declaring for the draft was not something I envisioned at this point.  Surprising for sure

I’m actually not stunned by it. One of his high school teammates from SLCA had much less impressive stats at Rutgers this year than Nesbitt at SLU, and he declared for the draft last week. Once I saw that happen, I wondered if Nesbitt would also try this.

gabriel likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

He is #4 on my list of 5 that I mentally crossed off next season's roster after the UNI disaster.

Chances of being drafted by the NBA, even Nesbitt knows, are 0%

Chance of getting an invite to an NBA camp, maybe 25%

Chance of getting a contract to play overseas, probably 75%

Chance of being a Billiken next season, less than 50%

There is a difference between getting just a contract overseas and getting a contract overseas that you can afford to live off when you have a kid back in the US.

I've been closely following the Billikens since my freshman year. I'm a senior now. In my time, I've witnessed the Carte'are debacle, COVID ruining very promising seasons, Javonte going down, and now our most promising player leaving for the draft after one year of averaging 8 ppg. Not to mention losing to our closest rival (Dayton) more often than not and seeing teams with comparable spending to us make the tournament regularly. It's been a painful few years for someone that's really only been a Cardinals fan their whole life

Go back just a few more years and you have S1 and S2, the Crews years, and the Majerus teams never making it to the second weekend. Credit to guys like @billiken_roythat've been here for decades because I don't know how you've done it. 

I'm still going to get season tickets starting next year and will support the program regardless, but man I gotta get used to being a Billiken fan. Somebody queue up the Dolphin. 

39 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I don't know Nesbitt's family situation.  Maybe a few thousand from the NLI isn't enough and he needs to start making money right away.  I agree with dlarry, the G-League is built to lure kids with this profile away from college.

Jordan could make more money right now by getting a job at the McDonalds by my house than he would make in the G-league next season.  It isn't just a little bit more that he would make at the McDonalds, it is over 12% more than he would make in the G-League next season.

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Jordan could make more money right now by getting a job at the McDonalds by my house than he would make in the G-league next season.  It isn't just a little bit more that he would make at the McDonalds, it is over 12% more than he would make in the G-League next season.

Plus free McRibs once or twice a year, free Shamrock shakes in March, and all the fries you can eat year round.

We don't know who is in his ear, or how he is doing in school. He had a one and done vision coming out of high school and may still think its possible. To be candid I thought he was the biggest disappointment of the season. He has potential to burn, but has been far from dominant. He also doesn't have a div 1 body let alone an NBA body. He needs to hit the weights, improve his shooting and work on his game. He barely out rebounded Yuri. If he put in the work, he could have the breakout season that he needs.

AGB91 likes this

38 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I hope Hargrove sees the amount of minutes that just opened up in midtown.

did minutes just "open up"?   or have they already been promised to parker, or kramer or perkins, etc.   all i know is that right now i think ford needs perkins like crazy and he needs parker to be a star.   some of you are downplaying nesbit's move, i am not.   this is not good for the billikens imo.  

CBFan, MB73 and Bizziken like this

12 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I've been closely following the Billikens since my freshman year. I'm a senior now. In my time, I've witnessed the Carte'are debacle, COVID ruining very promising seasons, Javonte going down, and now our most promising player leaving for the draft after one year of averaging 8 ppg. Not to mention losing to our closest rival (Dayton) more often than not and seeing teams with comparable spending to us make the tournament regularly. It's been a painful few years for someone that's really only been a Cardinals fan their whole life

Go back just a few more years and you have S1 and S2, the Crews years, and the Majerus teams never making it to the second weekend. Credit to guys like @billiken_roythat've been here for decades because I don't know how you've done it. 

I'm still going to get season tickets starting next year and will support the program regardless, but man I gotta get used to being a Billiken fan. Somebody queue up the Dolphin. 

I understand the frustration and applaud your commitment to hanging in there.

There's a chance that the whole Bona/cheerleader debacle showed some true colors/ability to distract from nesbitt. I definitely will defend the kid for that incident, as no one knows what was said, but it wasn't a fun visual. Ford may be trimming the fat/players that won't work day in and day out on team blue, hard nosed basketball. If so, we are better next year (big if, but I am trying to look glass half full). Need guys to "buy-in", both those on the court and in suits on the sidelines.

Also, I need JP to announce he's returning ASAP. I beg for some good news in billiken land.

NoCoBillsFan likes this

37 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

will we have to wear the sweater vests?

6 minutes ago, almaman said:

will we have to wear the sweater vests?

If it means we’ll be in the Elite Eight, I’m in.

14 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Plus free McRibs once or twice a year, free Shamrock shakes in March, and all the fries you can eat year round.

The point I am trying to make is that if you need money to better your personal situation, the G-League is not the answer.  With inflation increasing the cost of food and rent, Jordan is better off staying in college where those things are covered for basketball players.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Nesbitt ain't the only one not getting drafted.  At least Minott says he's not coming back.

For what it's worth I have seen Minott on several mock drafts. I would bet he does get drafted.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The point I am trying to make is that if you need money to better your personal situation, the G-League is not the answer.  With inflation increasing the cost of food and rent, Jordan is better off staying in college where those things are covered for basketball players.

You’re missing the overall point I think. Yes, he could make more money flipping burgers, but he doesn’t get the free, high-level coaching 7 days a week that he would get in the G-League.  He’ll also be playing 50ish games against high level competition.    He won’t be paying rent, whatever team he signs with will put him up somewhere. Will it be a luxurious lifestyle?  Not at all. But if he’s looking at it as an investment in himself, I can see why he would do it. 

Do I agree with his decision?  No. I think he could improve his game at SLU to the point where he has a chance at the NBA or at least a larger overseas contract (and get his degree to boot).  But I can see why he would want to pursue the G-League for the reasons above.  As someone else mentioned, Jordan is exactly the type of high potential player the G-League is trying to lure away. 

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I know and I agree with you. I was just joking.

although I do love a McRib every now and then.