Jordan Nesbitt enters the NBA draft

wgstl

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

They can declare multiple times. The only thing that will prevent that is signing with an agent not approved by the NCAA. The major agencies all are cleared, so pretty much everyone that enters retains their eligibility. 

Well that is good news then.

I'm not as freaked out by the wording in his post as others appear to be as that could be for public consumption as you'd typically prefer the NBA think you are serious about going pro instead of just going through the process. Can't imagine the scouts like providing a bunch of analysis on guys that aren't actually serious about it.

brianstl likes this

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I mean it just feels like he has made his goodbyes in that tweet. A lot of past tense usage.

Keep in mind we're talking about a 20 year old kid who's high school doesn't even exist anymore. Stability is not an expectation he likely has. I wouldn't dig too deep in to parsing his language.

AGB91 and BilliesBy40 like this

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Remind me, can players declare every year and return or just once? I thought it was just once but don't know for sure these days.

If you can declare and return just once and he doesn't intend to stick with it, this is a wasted option and would be pretty dumb to do since he has no realistic chance at the NBA right now. If you can do it multiple times then I guess why not go through that process every year.

Wikipedia says you can declare each year & not lose eligibility as long as you withdraw by a certain date & don't hire an agent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligibility_for_the_NBA_draft#:~:text=Additionally%2C players may declare for,for each NBA team without

Additionally, players may declare for the draft multiple times without losing college eligibility, as long as they withdraw before the new deadline without hiring an agent or signing a professional basketball contract, and are now allowed to attend the draft combine and one tryout per year for each NBA team without losing college eligibility.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm not sure he can without sitting out a year. The rule was supposed to allow one free transfer, which he presumably already used. Unless last year's transfer didn't count because of COVID or something.

I don't read into his post that he's thinking of transferring at all.  IMO most likely is that he comes back followed closely by him trying to for a spot in the G-league or OTE (if possible) and third would be he winds up overseas.  That being said, I do think he'd probably need a waiver to transfer & not sit, but I haven't really heard of anyone recently NOT getting a waiver.  Seems like based on stories of past guys having to sit, the only way you don't get the waiver is if the school he is leaving fights it.  That would be a horrible look for SLU PR wise, so I can't imagine they'd fight it if the comes to pass.

He is #4 on my list of 5 that I mentally crossed off next season's roster after the UNI disaster.

Chances of being drafted by the NBA, even Nesbitt knows, are 0%

Chance of getting an invite to an NBA camp, maybe 25%

Chance of getting a contract to play overseas, probably 75%

Chance of being a Billiken next season, less than 50%

6 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Plus didn't SnipaShad use the phrase "the journey is the reward" in the post he used to announce he was transferring?

"the journey is the reward" was a motto of late SLU assistant Ford Stuen.  The team sort of adopted it as their motto this season.  I don't take anything from both players using it in these announcements other than they like the saying, want to honor Stuen in some way & have probably heard it a million times.

Just now, HoosierPal said:

He is #4 on my list of 5 that I mentally crossed off next season's roster after the UNI disaster.

Chances of being drafted by the NBA, even Nesbitt knows, are 0%

Chance of getting an invite to an NBA camp, maybe 25%

Chance of getting a contract to play overseas, probably 75%

Chance of being a Billiken next season, less than 50%

Is there a long history of underclassmen borderline starters on 5th place A10 teams getting good deals to play overseas?

(no)

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

"the journey is the reward" was a motto of late SLU assistant Ford Stuen.  The team sort of adopted it as their motto this season.  I don't take anything from both players using it in these announcements other than they like the saying, want to honor Stuen in some way & have probably heard it a million times.

Was not aware of that. I know it's a bit of a hackneyed phrase outside of the sports world, but if it was an unofficial team motto this season, I withdraw my reading into the announcements.

17 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm not sure he can without sitting out a year. The rule was supposed to allow one free transfer, which he presumably already used. Unless last year's transfer didn't count because of COVID or something.

waivers are given often, he might be granted one

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Welcome to the new world of NCAA basketball.  We root for the uniforms.

We've always rooted for the uniforms but I agree the days of 4 year guys are loooong gone. Kind of sucks as college basketball was more fun when causal fans knew who would be on a team year over year. The idea that every season nearly every team will have 50% or more turnover is definitely a turn-off to many fans.

9 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

I'm really hoping for an answer from Javonte here soon, a lot of uncertainty about what next year's roster is going to look like at this point. 

perhaps this also played a small part in Nesbitt making this decision 

AlumniFan and Bills By 40 like this

32 minutes ago, ARon said:

Is there a long history of underclassmen borderline starters on 5th place A10 teams getting good deals to play overseas?

(no)

What is your definition of a "good deal"?  Can they sign a pro deal, sure.  But you have qualified it as good.  Is your 'good' the same as the players 'good'?  Just wondering.  

There are close to 100 teams 'overseas' that pay players to play basketball.  I don't expect any have a cut off for where a player's team finished in any league.

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

perhaps this also played a small part in Nesbitt making this decision 

This is my wishful thinking.

As for Nesbitt the league won’t be calling but I think he is an ideal G League guy.

I think he is exactly the type of player they are looking for.

He’s young and has loads of raw potential. 
With the nonstop coaching, training, and playing he will get in the G league I think he can quickly turn into an NBA level player.

20 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

I'm really hoping for an answer from Javonte here soon, a lot of uncertainty about what next year's roster is going to look like at this point. 

There will be a lot of uncertainty for several months no matter what Perkins decides.  The portal is still wide open, and what 16+4 teams still playing in tourney's.  We won't have our settled roster until summer.

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

He’s young and has loads of raw potential. 
With the nonstop coaching, training, and playing he will get in the G league I think he can quickly turn into an NBA level player.

Good point. 

No way he wants to sit out a year given it's his second transfer. I wish him the best of luck and expect, given the finality of the post, that he'll go to Europe. Sad to see him go, but, at the same time, I am excited to see Travis (hopefully) attack the portal for guys that want to be in a Billiken uniform, play defense, work hard, and make an impact right away (Jnez definitely brought 2/4 - defense and impact, I can't comment on the other pieces but suspect his announcement today eliminates the first).