Andre Lorentson enters the Transfer Portal

2 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

So currently three spots open. Sounds like best case scenario is:

1) Perkins comes back

2) Get a good transfer big to replace Linssen

3) Good Transfer guard to replace Jones

I have a feeling that the staff knew these transfers were coming and this has been the plan for a while

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

That makes 2 wings/forwards gone. I’m gonna just get myself excited and assume it’s because they know JP is returning and don’t want to wait another year. 

I think it is more about college free agency he was stuck on the bench so find a school that will give him a chance to play.

As 3 Star stated, players 10-13 that are not freshman will probably transfer.

Lorentsson is technically a freshman that was on the team for the COVID year.

I watched Lorentsson shoot at practice and he was almost as good as Jimerson.

9 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think it is more about college free agency he was stuck on the bench so find a school that will give him a chance to play.

As 3 Star stated, players 10-13 that are not freshman will probably transfer.

Lorentsson is technically a freshman that was on the team for the COVID year.

I watched Lorentsson shoot at practice and he was almost as good as Jimerson.

Oh it’s absolutely that. But since I’m hurting, I’m trying to tell myself he left bc JP is coming back.

I really think Lorentsson was 15 pounds and 10 Mpg from showing some extreme  promise 

bauman likes this

Just now, wgstl said:

Oh it’s absolutely that. But since I’m hurting, I’m trying to tell myself he left bc JP is coming back 

Good post, I think JP is coming back to build a resume.

JP has a great point guard to give him the ball to build that resume.

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The coaching staff have been recruiting a backup point guard and a backup big for months now.  That's how these things work.  

Okay if they have been ‘recruiting for months’ these are not players who are or will be in the portal. They would be HS, Prep or JUCO, correct. SLU doesn’t break the recruiting rules. 😎

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Oh it’s absolutely that. But since I’m hurting, I’m trying to tell myself he left bc JP is coming back.

I really think Lorentsson was 15 pounds and 10 Mpg from showing some extreme  promise 

Another coach Ford fail. Shoulda "coached him up' 

10 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Another coach Ford fail. Shoulda "coached him up' 

Hard to coach up slow.  The limited time he played he got beat in defense pretty bad.  Feet were very slow.  I wish him the best and hope he catches in with a place that can offer him minutes.

cheeseman likes this

I wish he stayed. We always need more shooters. Heck....in our offense (whatever it is), we usually have two guys stand in the corner for kick outs. He could have been a 3 and D guy. I don't see many burly 4's and 5's in the A10 that push people around. 

In regards to being slow.....do you guys remember how effing slow Ian Vouyokais was his freshman and sophomore years? He moved in slow motion compared to the Swede.

I just wish we got to see him and Markhi actually play more than in mop up duty. I wonder how much of a role Ford Stuen played in their recruiting and hence their leaving. 

6 minutes ago, 757billiken said:

I wish he stayed. We always need more shooters. Heck....in our offense (whatever it is), we usually have two guys stand in the corner for kick outs. He could have been a 3 and D guy. I don't see many burly 4's and 5's in the A10 that push people around. 

In regards to being slow.....do you guys remember how effing slow Ian Vouyokais was his freshman and sophomore years? He moved in slow motion compared to the Swede.

I just wish we got to see him and Markhi actually play more than in mop up duty. I wonder how much of a role Ford Stuen played in their recruiting and hence their leaving. 

i would hope we are aspiring to exceed the talent level of the brad soderberg days of billikens.   that said, while ian was indeed slow, he was very good at being in the right place and doing the things needed to play the inside very well.   plus, he could step out and hit a shot once in awhile.   

imo the difference between ian and lorentson (from the limited views we got of lorentson) is ian was stong enough to hold his position in the lane and as slow as he was, i think ian might have been faster than lorentson.   lorentson had two seasons to improve his body and become a better player, i dont think he improved a bit.  i am guessing he realized he was over his head talentwise at this level of college basketball.    i will be surprised if he emerges at a comparable program as the billikens.  

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i would hope we are aspiring to exceed the talent level of the brad soderberg days of billikens.   that said, while ian was indeed slow, he was very good at being in the right place and doing the things needed to play the inside very well.   plus, he could step out and hit a shot once in awhile.   

imo the difference between ian and lorentson (from the limited views we got of lorentson) is ian was stong enough to hold his position in the lane and as slow as he was, i think ian might have been faster than lorentson.   lorentson had two seasons to improve his body and become a better player, i dont think he improved a bit.  i am guessing he realized he was over his head talentwise at this level of college basketball.    i will be surprised if he emerges at a comparable program as the billikens.  

They were two different players.  Ian was a true center and Andre not really.  Just because a player is 6'8" some think they can play center - not true.  He was never a big in the sense that he would have played in Okoro or Linssen position.  He played facing the basket and that would require him to cover faster and more athletic players.  Someone said he could hit in practice almost as good as GJ but the few times I saw him play his shot was not anywhere there - now I understand it is a small sample size and he probably had the yips.  Before we start fretting over losing an end of the bench type player lets see where he lands.  Usually these types of players end up at lower schools and conferences.  Roy you are right we need to upgrade when we can.  

3 hours ago, Slowry said:

Hard to coach up slow.  The limited time he played he got beat in defense pretty bad.  Feet were very slow.  I wish him the best and hope he catches in with a place that can offer him minutes.

It was sarcasm. 

Slowry likes this

20 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

They were two different players.  Ian was a true center and Andre not really.  Just because a player is 6'8" some think they can play center - not true.  He was never a big in the sense that he would have played in Okoro or Linssen position.  He played facing the basket and that would require him to cover faster and more athletic players.  Someone said he could hit in practice almost as good as GJ but the few times I saw him play his shot was not anywhere there - now I understand it is a small sample size and he probably had the yips.  Before we start fretting over losing an end of the bench type player lets see where he lands.  Usually these types of players end up at lower schools and conferences.  Roy you are right we need to upgrade when we can.  

The wife and I go early to most of the games and I said that Lorentsson in the pre-game shoot around was almost as good as Jimerson in practice.  Lorentsson hit a lot of 3 point shots however the other player that hit as many 3 point shots at pre-game as Lorentsson was the walk on senior.

Jimerson in pre-game is really special and a joy to watch.  Jimerson is so smooth and rarely misses.

There is a reason why a 6’ 8” shooter in his second season did not play and I am sure it has to do what other posters have pointed out.

I agree with you and Roy upgrade the team and get busy in the player free agent market to find those upgrades.

11 minutes ago, CBFan said:

The wife and I go early to most of the games and I said that Lorentsson in the pre-game shoot around was almost as good as Jimerson in practice.  Lorentsson hit a lot of 3 point shots however the other player that hit as many 3 point shots at pre-game as Lorentsson was the walk on senior.

Jimerson in pre-game is really special and a joy to watch.  Jimerson is so smooth and rarely misses.

There is a reason why a 6’ 8” shooter in his second season did not play and I am sure it has to do what other posters have pointed out.

I agree with you and Roy upgrade the team and get busy in the player free agent market to find those upgrades.

Offensive efficiency is only half of the basketball equation.  You have to be a really good offensive player to overcome defensive liability.  We've all heard the Spoonhour - Highmark story where Spoon told Scott, just outscore the guy you are supposed to be guarding.  Could Lorentsson, Strickland or Williams outscore their man?

I want Ford to over recruit on every player we have on our roster.  Nothing is sacred on either end of the bench.   If Ford can bring in a point guard better than Collins, a shooter better than Jimerson and a big better than Okoro, then do it!

Slowry likes this