Rashad Williams enters the Transfer Portal

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I am more excited about having open spots for Ford to fill in the transfer market than I am about players 10-13 on our depth chart.  Be patient and see who we bring in.

Agreed. If replacing spots 10-13 results in a single Bess, Isabell, Okoro, Foreman, or Linssen it's worth the turnover.

25 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Let us not forget Williams was one of these guys. A rare miss in the portal for TFord and co

Not sure what you're saying there. Whether due to a "situation," injury, "fit", or simply performance, Coach Ford has had some misses in the portal. Graves, Henriquez, Santos, Anthony, Wiley, and Williams all come to mind. Weaver could go either way. But a perfect batting average shouldn't be expected. I was just saying that if churning the last 3-4 guys at the end of the bench results in one that makes a significant contribution, whether for one season or a few, and whether as a stats leader (e.g., Bess) or work horse (e.g., Linssen or Foreman), then it's worth it.

7 hours ago, Compton said:

Not sure what you're saying there. Whether due to a "situation," injury, "fit", or simply performance, Coach Ford has had some misses in the portal. Graves, Henriquez, Santos, Anthony, Wiley, and Williams all come to mind. Weaver could go either way. But a perfect batting average shouldn't be expected. I was just saying that if churning the last 3-4 guys at the end of the bench results in one that makes a significant contribution, whether for one season or a few, and whether as a stats leader (e.g., Bess) or work horse (e.g., Linssen or Foreman), then it's worth it.

Those first 4 you list never got to play so how can you call them misses.  Many believe that if they had been able to play we would have had a very successful team.

The MO for Ford is to play a max of 7 to 8 players a game. He is not alone, plenty of other coaches have the same MO. However, there are plenty of coaches, like Leonard Hamilton, who trust in their recruiting and play 10 or more in each game. They don’t have angst over injuries or foul trouble that the others do. 

4 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Those first 4 you list never got to play so how can you call them misses.  Many believe that if they had been able to play we would have had a very successful team.

Giving a scholarship to someone that doesn't play a single minute for the team is an unqualified miss. Individuals' personal beliefs of how things may have played out in an alternate universe don't help win basketball games.

Also, Anthony got to play.

4 minutes ago, Compton said:

Giving a scholarship to someone that doesn't play a single minute for the team is an unqualified miss. Individuals' personal beliefs of how things may have played out in an alternate universe don't help win basketball games.

Also, Anthony got to play.

You are right Anthony did play and I don't think Ford was the one who offered him but calling someone a miss who got held out for non basketball reasons is not fair also.  A coach evaluates and offers the player on what skill level they they think the player has and can contribute to the overall team's success.  If they don't get to play for non basketball reasons doesn't mean the coach did not evaluate the player correctly. 

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You are right Anthony did play and I don't think Ford was the one who offered him but calling someone a miss who got held out for non basketball reasons is not fair also.  A coach evaluates and offers the player on what skill level they they think the player has and can contribute to the overall team's success.  If they don't get to play for non basketball reasons doesn't mean the coach did not evaluate the player correctly. 

Ford is responsible for his staff's recruiting. The buck stops with him. If Van Macon or Will Bailey personally "gave an offer" it's ultimately Coach Ford that signs off on it.

Some skilled recruits are going to work out (Bess, Foreman, Linssenn, etc...), others not at all (Santos, Graves, etc...). There will be hits and misses across recruiting classes. I'd be interested to hear why Santos of Henriquez were successful recruits for Ford if you're of that opinion. If a coach "evaluates a player correctly" does that mean they're a successful recruit?

2 hours ago, Marlow said:

The MO for Ford is to play a max of 7 to 8 players a game. He is not alone, plenty of other coaches have the same MO. However, there are plenty of coaches, like Leonard Hamilton, who trust in their recruiting and play 10 or more in each game. They don’t have angst over injuries or foul trouble that the others do. 

Jim Crews also had a 10+ man rotation  the last few years 

57 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

-what? 

2 hours ago, Compton said:

Ford is responsible for his staff's recruiting. The buck stops with him. If Van Macon or Will Bailey personally "gave an offer" it's ultimately Coach Ford that signs off on it.

Some skilled recruits are going to work out (Bess, Foreman, Linssenn, etc...), others not at all (Santos, Graves, etc...). There will be hits and misses across recruiting classes. I'd be interested to hear why Santos of Henriquez were successful recruits for Ford if you're of that opinion. If a coach "evaluates a player correctly" does that mean they're a successful recruit?

No you misunderstood me - I was not saying an assistant offered him without Ford's knowledge.  I thought he was a fall NLI signee of Crews and Ford inherited him - but I could be wrong.

16 hours ago, Compton said:

Without getting into a debate about Sit 2, Anthony was very transparently an end of the bench guy and Wiley certainly underwhelmed but hit what could be argued as the biggest shot of the Ford era (which is a yikes of a statement). I think the staff bet on Wiley getting healthier and he just never did

Are we talking Rashed Anthony?  His one year with us was 2017-18 which was Ford's second year.  There were no holdovers from the [dead] era at that point concerning scholarships offered.  Anthony was Ford's first foray into the transfer portal as I recall.  Anthony played in 32 of 33 games that year --- although there was nothign memorable about any of them.  I'm surprised he got 7.8 mpg as an average.  Wiley and Isabell came the next year and Anthony was gone.