Markhi Strickland in the transfer portal

On 5/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, thetorch said:

Only reason he's going to JUCO is because of grades.

Much like Jimmy Bell, he's already been at SLU two seasons.  Scholastically this is a step backwards and means he is not a sophomore credit wise.

Do we know this for a fact or is this conjecture?

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Schasz said:

Give me Rick Majerus over the Bills current HC any day of the week as he can coach rings around Travis Ford!

Well OK. And your point is what? I'll take John Wooden, Coach K, and any number of HOF or dead coaches over TF. However, I have a sneaking suspicion they aren't available

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Well OK. And your point is what? I'll take John Wooden, Coach K, and any number of HOF or dead coaches over TF. However, I have a sneaking suspicion they aren't available

No. I don't want Coach K. Would be objectively good for the program but he's a doosh so no thanks. 

Just now, slufanskip said:

The discussion of RM over TF has to be one of the dumbest discussions ever on Billikens.com  

Is there a person alive (outside of Travis' close family and friends) that wouldn't take a healthy RM over TF? So what? He's dead. 

Fixed it for you

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

This is a long period of time. I’d bet if you knew other rosters like you know ours you’d likely find more or less the same to be true. It’s easier to hit when you’re mostly recruiting 4 and 5 star guys but when you’re at 2-4, sometimes you have a spot and see someone who has something so you take a chance. Markhi is a prime example. Extreme athleticism, can he turn into a real player? He left but was it worth the gamble? I say yes. 

If Strickland were on one of Sodie's teams he would have gotten meaningful minutes and we would have been raving about his freakish athleticism. I agree, he was worth the giving a scholarship to. Dad played in the NBA and he had athleticism that you can't teach. Ford has assembled a roster with better players, so the kid the kid couldn't get meaningful minutes. Time to move on, like the more than a 1,000 transfers from around the country. No big deal.

As long as it is the bottom of your roster transferring and not the top of your roster, then no worries. For the most part, Ford has done very well in this area during his tenure (survived the Yuri scare).

Billiken Rich likes this

ace my only problem with strickland is the fact ford brought him to the billikens in the first place.   in hindsight there is no way he fit ford's style of play.   so why waste a spot.   find another fred thatch, or another francis okoro.  dont bring in a track star.   particulary since ford has no record of converting such a player to his style of play.  

this is probably my biggest beef with ford.   i believe it is the biggest difference between him and mckillop at davidson.   and one would think if ford started doing it, his winning percentage would substantially go up.  

1 hour ago, Compton said:

The results they've each achieved at SLU are pretty comparable:

• .550 conference W/L percentage.
  • One NCAA tournament appearance each.
  • Ford has 2 NIT appearances. Majerus had 1 CBI appearance.
  • Majerus had two finishes in the bottom half of the conference, Ford has had one.
  • Majerus had Situation 1. Ford had Situation 2.
  • Ford has built recruiting roots in the region more - with some success. Majerus pursued foreign players more - with some success.

This is a quote from Winston Churchill: "Lies, lies, and dam_ed statistics."

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ace my only problem with strickland is the fact ford brought him to the billikens in the first place.   in hindsight there is no way he fit ford's style of play.   so why waste a spot.   find another fred thatch, or another francis okoro.  dont bring in a track star.   particulary since ford has no record of converting such a player to his style of play.  

this is probably my biggest beef with ford.   i believe it is the biggest difference between him and mckillop at davidson.   and one would think if ford started doing it, his winning percentage would substantially go up.  

Coach McKillop recruits to a different playing style but using your standard, he has guys riding his bench who don't fit his playing style either.   Have you ever heard of Chris Ford or Emory Lanier? Ford and Lanier are athletic slashers who were on Davidson's roster last year.  They barely played.

Athletes at the end of your bench serve a valuable purpose in practice if nothing else.  They help you practice against the speed and length you'll face against more athletically gifted teams.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i know where you are going with that.   i think we all agree crewsplatt's two ncaa appearances for slu were really rickma's.   that team was so well prepared and taught by rickma my soon to be 94 year old mother could have coached them to the tourney. 

I understand your point and agree. 

The one thing Crews accomplished was keeping the players together without a significant transfer. Not an easy feat in today's basketball landscape, especially with a coaching change. 

HoosierPal likes this

23 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

The one thing Crews accomplished was keeping the players together without a significant transfer. Not an easy feat in today's basketball landscape, especially with a coaching change. 

May have my timing off here, but it seemed Rickma stepping down was really late into the off-season, perhaps late enough to where players would have trouble finding new homes. Also maybe the players thought Rickma may return and it was temporary?

46 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

might have been because the bench for crews had zero talent.

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:
25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

May have my timing off here, but it seemed Rickma stepping down was really late into the off-season, perhaps late enough to where players would have trouble finding new homes. Also maybe the players thought Rickma may return and it was temporary?

Rickma stepped down on August 24, 2012 on a temporary basis, Jim Crews took over temporarily. Nov 16, 2012, Rickma officially is not returning due to health issues, Dec 1, 2012 Rickma dies, RIP. Your point is correct, too late for players to leave for a new home that season

4 hours ago, hmart23 said:

Do we know this for a fact or is this conjecture?

We know the facts that Strickland was here for 2 academic years. We also know the fact that Victoria College is a community college offering a 2 year program. It stands to reason that he would have to take a step back academically. 

5 hours ago, Compton said:

The results they've each achieved at SLU are pretty comparable:

• .550 conference W/L percentage.
  • One NCAA tournament appearance each.
  • Ford has 2 NIT appearances. Majerus had 1 CBI appearance.
  • Majerus had two finishes in the bottom half of the conference, Ford has had one.
  • Majerus had Situation 1. Ford had Situation 2.
  • Ford has built recruiting roots in the region more - with some success. Majerus pursued foreign players more - with some success.

Well in all fairness you have to give RM credit for the two dance trips that Crews was along for the ride.

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

We know the facts that Strickland was here for 2 academic years. We also know the fact that Victoria College is a community college offering a 2 year program. It stands to reason that he would have to take a step back academically. 

Isn't it possible that you take pre requisites or gen eds that you didn't get to yet? Or maybe start a different program?