Markhi Strickland in the transfer portal

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

All right.  Let me try to clarify what I'm trying to say .... if I can.

I am surprised with the amount or number of guys that come and occupy a spot on our roster and are given athletic scholarships to play basketball, and then don't play basketball.  And when they leave, they go to crap places.  Lesser teams in lesser conferences.  or even down to the JUCO level.  I actually get that with Bell and Strickland ---- they couldn't showcase here so they are going down an entire school level to play and get noticed and return triumphant.  Or something like that.  I'm okay with that.

I guess overall I am questioning the quality and basketball ability these guys do not have yet they sit on our bench for extended periods of time.  The list is nearly incredulous ..... KC Hankton, Madani Diarra, Dustin McGuire, Anthony Mitchell, Ingvi Gudmuindsson, Andre Lorentsson, Markhi Strickland, Grandy Glaze, John Manning, Zeke Moore, Gordon, Nesbitt, Bell, Traore, Tanner Lancona, Miles Reynolds, the trash can kid, Milik Yarbrough, Brett Jolly, Austin Gilman ..... do I need to go on?  

Don't take any one of these guys and defend them (ala Reynolds to Pacific then Oklahoma).  That is not my point so I guess my point is man, we sure do miss on a lot of guys with supposed "talent" that never amount to breaking wind let alone breaking records.  That's just amazinbg to me.

Glaze, Manning, Bell, and Gillmann all had seasons averaging at least 12 mpg; Moore, Reynolds, Yarbrough, Gordon, Nesbitt 20 mpg. Of there 18 combined seasons there were only 4 with under 11 mpg.

Young Charles likes this

29 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I am surprised with the amount or number of guys that come and occupy a spot on our roster and are given athletic scholarships to play basketball, and then don't play basketball.  And when they leave, they go to crap places.  Lesser teams in lesser conferences.  or even down to the JUCO level.  I actually get that with Bell and Strickland ---- they couldn't showcase here so they are going down an entire school level to play and get noticed and return triumphant.  Or something like that.  I'm okay with that.

I guess overall I am questioning the quality and basketball ability these guys do not have yet they sit on our bench for extended periods of time.  The list is nearly incredulous ..... KC Hankton, Madani Diarra, Dustin McGuire, Anthony Mitchell, Ingvi Gudmuindsson, Andre Lorentsson, Markhi Strickland, Grandy Glaze, John Manning, Zeke Moore, Gordon, Nesbitt, Bell, Traore, Tanner Lancona, Miles Reynolds, the trash can kid, Milik Yarbrough, Brett Jolly, Austin Gilman ..... do I need to go on?  

Don't take any one of these guys and defend them (ala Reynolds to Pacific then Oklahoma).  That is not my point so I guess my point is man, we sure do miss on a lot of guys with supposed "talent" that never amount to breaking wind let alone breaking records.  That's just amazinbg to me.

Every team misses on half their roster. It’s a numbers game.  

46 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I am surprised with the amount or number of guys that come and occupy a spot on our roster and are given athletic scholarships to play basketball, and then don't play basketball.  And when they leave, they go to crap places. 

I guess my point is man, we sure do miss on a lot of guys with supposed "talent" that never amount to breaking wind let alone breaking records.  That's just amazinbg to me.

Interesting point you make Taj. What is talent really? How can you be gifted with lots of talent and then do next to nothing playing in the team? So, did these players had talent or not?, and if they did have it, why did it not show?

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

It's only amazing because you're not as familiar with the transfer outcomes of other teams' rosters.  Check out where Dayton's guys end up.  It looks a lot like ours.

Bottom line if the players all want to be in the playing group of  7-8 then simple math tells you that  5-6 will not.  Naturally it may appear that they are misses but if you hit on all 13 as you say then you would have to play 13 players and you might lose all of them due to unhappiness.

cgeldmacher likes this

14 hours ago, ACE said:

If your definition of Ricma's rosters is disjointed, give me more of that...please!

disjointed probably the wrong word, but no doubt no billiken coach ran off more players than rickma.   we were close to having to go on ncaa probation because of our turnover right before rickma passed away.   he was the master of churning a roster.   

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

This is a long period of time. I’d bet if you knew other rosters like you know ours you’d likely find more or less the same to be true. It’s easier to hit when you’re mostly recruiting 4 and 5 star guys but when you’re at 2-4, sometimes you have a spot and see someone who has something so you take a chance. Markhi is a prime example. Extreme athleticism, can he turn into a real player? He left but was it worth the gamble? I say yes. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

10 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's only amazing because you're not as familiar with the transfer outcomes of other teams' rosters.  Check out where Dayton's guys end up.  It looks a lot like ours.

Didn’t read this first but essentially the same point I made. 

Just trying to clarify my point.  I do agree with all of you that said I don't know other rosters like I know ours so the validity to that counterpoint there is strong.  

I wanted to go into Verbal Commits and do a level comparison for guys leaving one school and going to the next.  But I'm not doing nearly 1300 transfers.  Seems to me there are a lot of guys going to places like Bryant, Hofstra, Coastal Carolina, UNC-Greensboro and FGCU.  And lots of JUCOs.  Maybe it just means that with 350+ teams and 13 scholarships per, the cupboard is somewhat barren or  lean and can't realistically support all these variations of a college basketball team.  

Lots of bodies out there, maybe lax in talent.

33 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Give me Rick Majerus over the Bills current HC any day of the week as he can coach rings around Travis Ford!

find a post i made saying rickma was not a good coach.   i have constantly said he was a basketball genius.   i just never agreed with his creaming the roster approach to building his team or some of the stories of his off the court treatment of people.  

SLU_Lax and AGB91 like this

39 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Give me Rick Majerus over the Bills current HC any day of the week as he can coach rings around Travis Ford!

I dont think Rickma would have adjusted well to the new college basketball landscape, and probably been left behind. 

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I would not disagree with anyone that wants to call RM a basketball genius. TF's coaching is not comparable to Majerus'.

The results they've each achieved at SLU are pretty comparable:

• .550 conference W/L percentage.
  • One NCAA tournament appearance each.
  • Ford has 2 NIT appearances. Majerus had 1 CBI appearance.
  • Majerus had two finishes in the bottom half of the conference, Ford has had one.
  • Majerus had Situation 1. Ford had Situation 2.
  • Ford has built recruiting roots in the region more - with some success. Majerus pursued foreign players more - with some success.

Just now, Compton said:

• Majerus had two finishes in the bottom half of the conference, Ford has had one.
  • Ford has built recruiting roots in the region more - with some success. Majerus pursued foreign players more - with some success.

interesting.   thanks

Just now, wgstl said:

I have a problem with this one..

i know where you are going with that.   i think we all agree crewsplatt's two ncaa appearances for slu were really rickma's.   that team was so well prepared and taught by rickma my soon to be 94 year old mother could have coached them to the tourney. 

1 minute ago, Compton said:

People just fall in love with narratives without using critical thought when it comes to Ford. He's obviously not Majerus, but we could and have done a whole lot worse. 

Just now, billiken_roy said:

i know where you are going with that.   i think we all agree crewsplatt's two ncaa appearances for slu were really rickma's.   that team was so well prepared and taught by rickma my soon to be 94 year old mother could have coached them to the tourney. 

Ya, Rickma gave Crews a team where all crews had to do was get the players to their games on time and they would reach the tournament.  At the very least I give Rickma the back to back, and I'll be fine giving crews the 13-14 season